Martians everywhere

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Hmm. So maybe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen II uses Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stuff, too. Sounds it. II also has Dr. Moreau, doesn't it?

Speaking of Wells, didn't the first series have Cavorite in it, too? And, of course, the Invisible Man.

BTW, the Selenites were H.G. Wells, not Jules Verne. Although they both wrote Moon books.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

My mistake. :oops:

Yes it got Dr. Moreau.
And yes it had Carvor and his Cavorite in Vol.1

Here are links to websites by Jess Nevins, who wrote a companion book to the comic:

http://www.geocities.com/ratmmjess/annos.html

(scroll alittle down for LoEG annotations)

http://www.geocities.com/jessnevins/vicintro.html

(very useful for every Red Death campaign)
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Issue 1 on LXG Vol 2 was based on another series of sci-fi novels, but I forget which ones. There were quite a few of the novels, I know that and it would require reading all of them to be able to draw u anything based on them for the universe Gothic Earth exists in.

What I really enjoyed about LXG Vol 2 was the appearances by Peter Rabbit and Rupert the Bear, lol. Those were great :) For those who don't know who they are, Rupert was the humanoid bear in the tartan (plaid) trousers, Peter Rabbit was the being eaten by foxes in the corner of one of the pictures in the final issue.

Thanks to William Blackmoor for those links, thy are very good indeed :)
Swallow your soul!
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Ew! You brought back some nasty memories.

By the by, you forgot one more cameo: Mr. toad and his red car!

As for the 1st issue, I believen that was based off of a series of pulp books called the Martian Chronicles (I'm guessing at the title). In it, a earth-man suddenly felt a serious attraction to the planet Mars, looked up, and was instantly teleported to the planet. the pulp bookes were the basis for the D20 mini-game Iron Lords of Jupiter.
Evil Reigns!!!!
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

You mean:

Michael Moorcock (under the pseudonym of Edward P. Bradbury) Mars series

Other "Martian"-referances in the comic are from:

Edgar Rice Burroughs’ “Under the Moons of Mars”

Edwin L. Arnold "Lieutenant Gullivar Jones: His Vacation (1905)"

C.S. Lewis’ Space Trilogy

H.G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds

I love that referance website :D
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

William Blackmoor wrote:Michael Moorcock (under the pseudonym of Edward P. Bradbury) Mars series
That is probably the series I am thinking of.

Yeah, I forgot about Mr Toad, how'd that happen? :shock:
Swallow your soul!
ScS of the Fraternity

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Yeah, I forgot about Mr Toad, how'd that happen? :shock:
Well, he is pretty tiny. and he didn't have a speaking part - he just pointed :arrow: .
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I loved the Rupert reference although I missed it in his first apperance. Then someone pointed it out and I killed myself laughing.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Well, he is pretty tiny. and he didn't have a speaking part - he just pointed :arrow: .
I do remember seeing him in the bvook, I had just forgotten he was in there, lol.

Anyway, back to the topic of a 3E Gothic Earth War of the Worlds.
Swallow your soul!
ScS of the Fraternity

As neat as the original article on war of the worlds was, I did find a few things could have been improved - one being the martians themselves were pretty boring.

I liked the apppearance being completely nonhumanoid but I found that they were not interesting enough. Perhaps they need more variety. An upper and lower caste just didn't seem enough - perhaps they could be more physically diverse? Small and smart mechanics, huge and strong laborers, gaunt and thin scouts, and bloated and immobile leaders?

But then again, maybe it would be best to stick witht the basics - basic martians in death-machines and flying wings?

The idea of them being blood drinkers just seemed lame considering the prevalence of vampirism all over MotRD and Ravenloft.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

You can use Wells' short story "The Crystal Egg" for sources also, as it details a Martian scrying device and gives a look at the Martian ecology. It can be directly tied to War of the Worlds since one of the variety of Martian is a squid-type thing, the invaders of the novel. That does seem to imply a few castes.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:As neat as the original article on war of the worlds was, I did find a few things could have been improved - one being the martians themselves were pretty boring.

I liked the apppearance being completely nonhumanoid but I found that they were not interesting enough. Perhaps they need more variety. An upper and lower caste just didn't seem enough - perhaps they could be more physically diverse? Small and smart mechanics, huge and strong laborers, gaunt and thin scouts, and bloated and immobile leaders?

But then again, maybe it would be best to stick witht the basics - basic martians in death-machines and flying wings?

The idea of them being blood drinkers just seemed lame considering the prevalence of vampirism all over MotRD and Ravenloft.
With an idea I have stolen from someone else I have decided to have a go at making them some form of illithid-like race of creatures, but less physically mobile, especially in earth's atmosphere.
Swallow your soul!
ScS of the Fraternity

So they eat brains? What do they look like physically?

Are you going with the idea of a brain-like body and tentacles?

Or, perhaps something more spider-like, with many long gangly legs and a central body?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I have a few ideas at the moment, but instead of eating brains I will keep the blood drinking to remain quite true to the book. I am also dropping the psionics (not a psionics fan) but keeping the telepathy, I am having them communicate this way. Of course, they still say "uuullllaaaaaaaa..." but it will mean something else when I am through with them.

As for their bodies, I have yet to decide on that, but I want their heads to look mindflayer-like, but they will look closer to the description in the book.
Swallow your soul!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Update:

This project is going slow at present, between art projects and an injured finger typing is not having alot of time (ouch! hit finger again), but it is coming along slowly. If anyone has any ideas at all, post a message here or mail me. Anyone who has input on the final article will be credited :)
Swallow your soul!