Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc!)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Joël's campaign (now: end part of Bleak House!)

Post by DustBunny »

So I planted the seeds of the Gargoyle of the Great Cathedral a long time ago (session 13 in 2005, we are at 86th 13 years real time later
Wow. And still running strong. Congrats
Though with the new title 'Pride and Prejudice in Borca!' are we going to need a flow chart to see who is related/in love with/friends of to who.
Flow chart of Pride and Prejudice character relationships - here
They explain that Peace Park is a large park inside the town, near the Cathedral. It has animation (many clowns during the day, and street performers, as well as music)....
No...not.....MIMES! :shock: Kill them. Kill them all!
The heroes politely decline and say they will stay at the Defraya Manor
Tsk - they really should be try to butter up Nostalia and Clothilda more. It could make their dealings with them a little less frosty in the future.
Oh, and a nice Green is always better than sheer White. :gabrielle:
During the whole concert, she explains the meaning of the songs to Varadan, often whispering her comments in his ears or touching his arm. She is clearly flirting with Varadan
A wonder if she knows Vardan can be ... mmm ... a bit of a beast at night? :wink:
at her feet was her footloose man...
And she was practiced in the art of deception
I could tell by her blood-stained hands....
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

DustBunny wrote:Though with the new title 'Pride and Prejudice in Borca!' are we going to need a flow chart to see who is related/in love with/friends of to who. Flow chart of Pride and Prejudice character relationships - here
Ah ah ah, no plans to go that complicated at this time :)

We are all adults over 55 in our game. But that type of in-game love interest wouldn't work with all my players. I once tried to mingle Petrak (priest) and Tara Kolyana, but it seems Tara was interested to an ice block ;) No response so no development there.

The title is just a wink to that kind of high society intrigue they are now mingling with, and I thought the title was fun.

But here's a juicy scoop on the next session (87) : when coming back to Misericordia after the show, flirty Ivana will invite Varadan to relax in a pool of thermal water in her park, and will then get him upstairs after some skinny dipping*.

I met a gin-soaked, bar-room queen in Memphis
She tried to take me upstairs for a ride

!
!
\!/

I met a bored night queen in Levkarest
:)

Since last game, through emails, I've advanced the story with Varadan's player, tested a few hypothesis, and told him what Ivana would do in the start of next session. He agreed to go along with it. He knows it is an extremely dangerous situation! But Jean-Guy is a cool guy who likes bold moves and taking risks. In this, he plays for Varadan the "I'm honest, I do not want to get personal advantages out of this. She's very powerful, beautiful, complex, and I'm curious to know her more" card.

So now I have to rethink what Ivana's plans are. I think that her views could be:

1) Heh, girls just want to have fun
2) + the party is powerful, let's make sure one of them is a puppy extremely loyal to me
3) + she is using him but do not plan to fall in love with him. But has love intrigue things ever worked as planned?

Also, some people now might be jealous of Varadan (and we go back to the new sessions title ;) ). Let's see what Severin thinks of it! Or other NPCs. I could eventually see loyal Nostalia craving for the same, or a noble man wanting a duel with Varadan ;)

Also, this is the proposed scenario, unless the other players disrupt it and cast rock to mud on the pool...
A wonder if she knows Varadan can be ... mmm ... a bit of a beast at night? :wink:
She knows, and perhaps is looking for it? I don't know if I will go there as to her perversion. But she is often bored, having all the men she could want, a little 50 shades of fur perhaps? :Ivana: (still not sure)

Anyway, of course we agreed that all nightime activity will be just briefly mentionned, no details.

But he will learn a few things :

1) she isn't poisonnous as an ermordenung's touch ;)

2) her lips real color is sick blue. That is very difficult for her to hide when the lipstick is gone.

3) when she sleeps, her face and tongue look like she's been poisonned. He will not learn that the first night, as she tries to hide this and will eventually get up and go sleep elsewhere. (Ah, those adventurous-type girls who quietly leave the house during the night, after sex), but perhaps later, one night she will get asleep and won't awake 'till next morning?
No...not.....MIMES!
I would never go that dreadful.
And she was practiced in the art of deception
I could tell by her blood-stained hands....
Indeed!

---

* I told him it's the second darklord he sees naked. He is still searching who was the first as I write this.

A:
VIEW CONTENT:
Nathan Timothy
:mrgreen:
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Tell me, what do you think of the combined ends I merged for Bleak House? If you DM it, will you go with the random ends, or will you make something alike?
Seems like it worked well. It's been a while since I read the module, so I don't actually remember all the endings or how yours differed. But what you had seemed like a fine cinematic ending.

86: That's certainly an interesting bounty placed on Ivan's head. :) not the usual magic items or gps.

Nice creepy art finds for Dezuni's gallery

Wow, that art of Misericordia from the Black Box poster cards brings back memories... What was with that weird perspective? At the time I didn't think much about it, but it sure was odd.

Poor Petrak! Awkward conversation with Ivana about the reports!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:86: That's certainly an interesting bounty placed on Ivan's head. :) not the usual magic items or gps.
Ah ah ah, indeed ;)
Nice creepy art finds for Dezuni's gallery
I have more and more fun planning music and visuals for my games.
Wow, that art of Misericordia from the Black Box poster cards brings back memories... What was with that weird perspective? At the time I didn't think much about it, but it sure was odd.
Indeed, dunno, seems they wanted to show the widow's roof where she sometimes walk at night?
Poor Petrak! Awkward conversation with Ivana about the reports!
Yes, especially just after being lectured about lack of clarity in their reports!
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Wow, that art of Misericordia from the Black Box poster cards brings back memories... What was with that weird perspective? At the time I didn't think much about it, but it sure was odd.
With isometric perspective the proportions stay the same, so everything is the same size relative. So theroetically you could build an entire floor plan inside the drawing with the correct proportions, like they did with the I9 isometric of Ravenloft Castle. The downside is that it tend to look slightly distorted when viewed as a whole from the 'outside'. If you put a outside shell around the I9 maps it would look weird in the same way.

Prehaps they planned a floorplan for Misericordia (or a generic manor) at some point and dropped it but reused the exterior drawing?
Joël of the FoS wrote:I met a gin-soaked, bar-room queen in Memphis
I was thinking more along the lines of -

Oh, here she comes,
Watch out, boy, she'll chew you up
Oh, here she comes
She's a maneater

Yes, especially just after being lectured about lack of clarity in their reports!
And I think it is only going to get worse for him when the church starts demanding secrecy about certain things.
I have more and more fun planning music and visuals for my games.
How long does it take for you to hunt down music/images for one session? Google images would make image searching easier (though it could be a problem with too much content), but music themes would be a lot harder.

Though the talk of werewolves, mimes, mysterious killings, Stones lyrics, and the Quarter and reminded me of the episode 'To Dream of Wolves' from the TV series 'Werewolf'. Damn, now I'll have to watch it again...
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Starscream
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Joël's campaign (now: Pride and Prejudice in Borca!)

Post by Starscream »

i missed from the forum for some time and i find two new journals at my come back?
time to read! :D
Joël of the FoS

Enjoy! :)
Joël of the FoS

And I think it is only going to get worse for him when the church starts demanding secrecy about certain things.
Things are going to be uneasy indeed.
How long does it take for you to hunt down music/images for one session? Google images would make image searching easier (though it could be a problem with too much content), but music themes would be a lot harder.
This is more or less how I plan my games :

1) I have a grand plan, with all needed NPCs, story chapters and steps, and hooks. It is similar to my Borca planning thread.

Or it could be from a printed adventure (Bleak House). But even with these, I scan and put all written material into a word file. Then I read once to get a full adventure knowledge, then let it rest for a few day. After, I take the file again and edit it with the new ideas I have, addition, changes, deletion of things I do not want to do.

I have a basic plan of where I’m going.

2) when planning a specific story arc, I will detail much further this chapter : adding lotsa details to the actions & story, fixing things that do not work (there were plenty in Bleak House), planning tactics and cool battle move or places, planning cool atmospheric, adding 3.5 monster stats (reviewing and modifying these), add dialogue ideas, searching for needed maps, adding other NPCs in the mix (relevant or not to the current story, as I often do), rumors (again, relevant or not to the current story). Making it alive.

Typically, a two page grand plan is expanded to 10-15 pages detailed scenario.

3) when planning a specific game session, I go into details - music and images.

For music, I have files by type (action, exploration, supernatural, sad, mystery, stress, vistani, ... and of course various sounds effects). I select in my 1500+ mp3 what’s best for the mood of the adventure. If this music mood is to be kept for a long period during the session, I select at least about 45+ minutes of mp3 so it doesn’t get too repetitive.

For images, I take my detailed scenario and make sure all NPC have an image, not just the important ones. Most monsters also have a prepared image, as well as some buildings, scenes, supernatural effects, objects, etc. Making it visual.

I first look in my bank of images. I collected 8500 RL-related images over the years, that were put into files (places – sea and boats, cemeteries, landscapes, ruins, urban, ...; monsters – golems, zombies, incorporeal undead, werethings, ...; NPCs – man, women, children, vistani, ermordenungs; objects; flags ...), then I search the web to find something else if needed.

I try to take ready-made images, as my image editing skills are very basic, but once in a while, I modify an image for my game. This takes me a lot of time so I try not to do it often!
Starscream
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Starscream »

read so fa session 85: I know how Bleak House ends, but every time i cry a lot...
Joël of the FoS wrote: This is more or less how I plan my games :

1) I have a grand plan, with all needed NPCs, story chapters and steps, and hooks. It is similar to my Borca planning thread.

Or it could be from a printed adventure (Bleak House). But even with these, I scan and put all written material into a word file. Then I read once to get a full adventure knowledge, then let it rest for a few day. After, I take the file again and edit it with the new ideas I have, addition, changes, deletion of things I do not want to do.

I have a basic plan of where I’m going.

2) when planning a specific story arc, I will detail much further this chapter : adding lotsa details to the actions & story, fixing things that do not work (there were plenty in Bleak House), planning tactics and cool battle move or places, planning cool atmospheric, adding 3.5 monster stats (reviewing and modifying these), add dialogue ideas, searching for needed maps, adding other NPCs in the mix (relevant or not to the current story, as I often do), rumors (again, relevant or not to the current story). Making it alive.

Typically, a two page grand plan is expanded to 10-15 pages detailed scenario.

3) when planning a specific game session, I go into details - music and images.

For music, I have files by type (action, exploration, supernatural, sad, mystery, stress, vistani, ... and of course various sounds effects). I select in my 1500+ mp3 what’s best for the mood of the adventure. If this music mood is to be kept for a long period during the session, I select at least about 45+ minutes of mp3 so it doesn’t get too repetitive.

For images, I take my detailed scenario and make sure all NPC have an image, not just the important ones. Most monsters also have a prepared image, as well as some buildings, scenes, supernatural effects, objects, etc. Making it visual.

I first look in my bank of images. I collected 8500 RL-related images over the years, that were put into files (places – sea and boats, cemeteries, landscapes, ruins, urban, ...; monsters – golems, zombies, incorporeal undead, werethings, ...; NPCs – man, women, children, vistani, ermordenungs; objects; flags ...), then I search the web to find something else if needed.

I try to take ready-made images, as my image editing skills are very basic, but once in a while, I modify an image for my game. This takes me a lot of time so I try not to do it often!
wow! i wish i could have a similar collection of images! but it is a good planning schedule that i am also try to follow. If i can start my campaign (we postponed it) i will see if i could be as good as you!
Joël of the FoS

OK, last game was Sunday. On the isolated road to Misericordia, 11h30 pm, I had the Gargoyle attack the carriage as planned ... but it didn't work as planned :)

Most of the horse panicked and most PCs were on foot.

Lesson for me : a Fly move of 40 is slow! The G used some of its move to get higher from the ground, so it was increasing its height by 10 feet every round, and away 60 feet every round.

The did cast haste so were able to follow and still make an action! Meanwhile, it was increasing its height by only 10' per round. If I had it increase more, they could have done full more round actions.

They did cast spells at the thing to find it was immune to most spells. So they did cast faerie fire on Ivana, so they were able to easily see the beast in flight.

Then they did cast Greater mag weapon on arrows, hurled these at the G, and the round before the end of the haste spell, they were able to kill it! Also, the druid changed to a large bat and with magic fang, did bite his share too.

It was very good thinking from the players, so I did let go and let them this victory.

So the beast crashed to the ground, still holding Ivana in its clutches. She survived the crash.

From my journal :
The first hero reaching the crater sees Ivana sitting in the dust of the crater. She is in shock! “Did that really happen?”

But that hero also notices that there are no traces of the gargoyle! There is no cadaver on the ground, blocks of stone or even stone particles, it just vanished!
Of course, I couldn’t let it end that way! I have other things in mind to end this adventure.

I have two weeks to think how it got away with it? It merged in the ground? Has some kind of phylactery or has something in the church that rejuvenates it?

Ideas and twist welcome :)

And next time, I snatch her on the narrow streets! In a city it will be tougher to follow (buildings, fences, etc.) ! I plan for the G to be quiet for a few days, so she feels safe, then snatch!
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

Like I said, the best laid plans... The gargoyle fly speed in 5e is 60 ft. I wonder if the playtesters agreed the gargoyle was too slow

Too bad though, the Gargoyle jumped into a gemstone broach or necklace Ivana wears and the next suitably large block of stone Ivana touches will take up the gargoyle's spirit and it will carve itself into the gargoyle. The gargoyle merely has to wait until Ivana is alone. Maybe in a large marble bathtub or something. Then you can add the complication associated with Ivana needing clothes (or demanding the party hand over their clothes. The nicest ones of course. When they find her, she is presumably going to be wet, cold, miserable, and in a vicious mood because gargoyles don't really understand clothes or human tolerance for cold. And if that one PC tried the faerie fire trick again on Ivana in an urban area where everyone looked up and saw the screaming lady, you bet s/he gets an earful.) so she doesn't accidentally poison her rescuers before they effect the rescue. (Luckily she grabbed a towel in time, and it was a very bubbly bath so everything stays PG.)

Gargoyle Special Ability:
Merge with Stone.
When a gargoyle drops to 0 hit points, instead of dying, it may merge with any single nonmagical stone or gemstone object within 10 feet worth at least 1000 gp. When the gargoyle merges with an object, its original body disintegrates and leaves behind any objects it was wearing or carrying. While merged with an object, the gargoyle has hearing and blindsight out to 120 ft. and can sense the presence, quantity, and quality of all stone objects within that range. After 1 hour, when the object the gargoyle is merged with is brought within 10 feet of an amount of stone large enough to form its volume, the gargoyle's spirit may choose to leave the object and possess the stone. The gargoyle reforms by carving itself out of that stone using its action, regaining its full hit points. A merged gargoyle is destroyed if the possessed object is destroyed.

Edit: Spelling
Last edited by Mischief on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joël of the FoS

Mischief wrote:Like I said, the best laid plans...
During the game, when it was clear the plan would not work, I was thinking of your comment :)

Good idea @ merge, will coment later.
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Joël of the FoS wrote:It was very good thinking from the players, so I did let go and let them this victory.
Always nice as a PC to have a moment of gloating. Though of course one should always watch out for the return swing....
I have two weeks to think how it got away with it? It merged in the ground? Has some kind of phylactery or has something in the church that rejuvenates it?
That's an easy one.

There's a certain statue it's building, and it seems very reasonable that it would incorporate something of itself into it (like an obsessed artist who uses their own blood). Now it has a sort of anchor, so whenever it 'dies' it returns to the front of the Ezra statue it's building. It would see this as proof of its 'holy cause' (as it believes) - it was saved from death by the thing it venerates, thus it is even more likely to redouble its efforts.
And next time, I snatch her on the narrow streets! In a city it will be tougher to follow (buildings, fences, etc.) ! I plan for the G to be quiet for a few days, so she feels safe, then snatch!
I'm not sure you should go for quite the same thing again. The PC's are bound to be on guard and devise all sorts of elaborate measures out of paranoia.

G is intelligent (INT 13), so it would work out another way.

*thinks*

Does Ivana's estate have any gargoyles or statues around? I could replace the inanimate statue with itself and observe the estate for the 'quite period'. Even better if she has one inside the house display room. At some point the PC's discover the original statue in the hedges and have just enough time to say 'Oh Bugger' before they hear screams from inside the house.

Maybe being 'returned' to its phylactery has awakened a power. It realises it can 'embrace Ezra' - (i.e.: touch the Ezra statue it's building) which acts as a kind of magic jar spell. It can then 'possess' any statue made by the original sculptor Nikolai Pyotrovich though with a limitation - it can only possess statues it has 'incorporated' itself into (a chip of stone, some stone dust, etc).

The incorporation takes up a bit of its life force, and every statue beyond 2-3 drains it of hit points/hit die/etc. So, it must be selective.

During the quiet period it is busy incorporating itself into certain statues. Again, like one in the Boristi estate, or other significant location Ivana has/will attend. This would also give you another 'out' if they succeed again until the Ezra statue is destroyed.

Also having a glowing Ivana fly around the city at night, is going to have some interesting effects. Reports of an Ezra figure radiating an eldritch holy light flying overhead (they didn't see the non-glowing gargoyle in the darkness) will run wild through the rumour mill, whipping up a frenzy. The church hierarchy (who probably learn of the actual events) will be tearing their hair out (if they have any left) over this stunt as the more fringe elements start preaching doom and gloom and excessive religious fervour is stirred up (exacerbated by the forming sinkhole). And all before a major religious event which attracts enough crazies....
(By way of example, imagine what would happen if a glowing Jesus like figure flew around Vatican city just before Easter)

Maybe someone even mentions the old church leading the PC's on a wild goose chase (and causing more clergy hair loss) until G is ready.
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

I saw this and thought of you, in case you need some comic relief gargoyle minions. (Maybe the gargoyle tried to make more of itself. Dunno.)

https://www.deviantart.com/eoghankerrig ... -532993144
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

It might be possible that the creator crafted multiple gargoyles, and that the spirit leaves its body, causing it to crumble to dust, only to possess one of the other gargoyles and use it as a new vessel. (Disappearing gargoyles from the cathedral might attract attention, however.)