Treachery, lies and secrets

The Halfling campaign
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ixevim's telepathic voice answered in their minds, "Not wrong exactly, but strange. As Artemis said, It wasn't chance that brought us here. I felt the power of the place drawing us in this place, something that usually doesn't happen.
However in my homeland, we use similar devices, psionic in nature that we call beacons. They have the same effect."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Kimuriel moves his head nervously while saying:

“Strange, wrong, whatever, it happened. The point is what are we’re going to do now. Do we stay or do we leave? As I have stated earlier, I think Lady Ivana wants us here and if we flee, maybe we will be considered traitors or assassins or just Borca’s enemies. We have done only what Lady Ivana told us to do, but…“

A grimace of concern and a hint of fear appears on his face and even if he hasn’t finished his phrase, everyone understands what he is thinking. After all, everyone has heard the rumors about the Black Widow.

“I just prefer to stay.” Kimuriel finished his phrase after a small pause.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"I agree" Ixevim's telepathic voice sounded in the heads of the rest of his troop.

Ixevim then sent a telepathic message to Simone and Artemis. "I know that this is not the right time, and that more important matters burden our minds, but since we can hardly affect those matters, I would just like to change the subject."
A little pause followed as Ixevim examined the Arcane Runes. "What do you think about these? I have a theory. . ."
Ixevim sent them compact thoughts about his theory of how these runes interacted with the Fabric of reality that was Borca. The information sent, needed only about a minute to be imprinted in their minds as thoughts, images and ideas, but if Ixevim has used words to do describe his theory, it would have needed ten times as much, maybe more. For the human mind, this kind of "directed thinking" wasn't dangerous or compelling, but difficult and felt alien and strange.
Also to the back of their minds, Artemis and Simone understood that if Ixevim could direct their thoughts like that, he could probably direct their decisions too. While Artemis felt safe under the protection of his ring, Simone felt vulnerable.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Simone shuddered as images of the runes flickered by in his mind. Of course he could not see them in reality due to their being in the other room. Yet Ixevim's memory was good enough. After a moment of silence an agreement of Artemis' and Ixevim's minds met, the runes could not affect or induce the feeling of 'wrong' and loss they had encountered in travel space. Yet what had been happening was strange.

At that moment the servant girl entered and began serving food and drinks. Nostalia groaned slightly and Simone moved to observe some of the books nearby resting on a shelf.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Kimuriel is a bit more used to compact telepathic information, so he doesn’t have any problem receiving them. The problem is that since he was not a wizard he doesn’t understand very much about Ixevim’s theory.

When the servant girl comes in with the tray, the psion shivered. A telepathic message reaches both Ixevim’s and Artemis minds.

“May one of you check if this food is ok? You know, we’re always in Borca”

Waiting an answer, Kimuriel looks the room more carefully.
Last edited by VAN on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ixevim's telepathic voice met Kimuriel's mind. "Relax my ally. Lady Ivana wouldn't probably poison us here and at this moment. On the other hand, by seeming so tense, you may provoke questions on the minds of her servants. They may believe we are traitors.
On the other hand, it never hurts to be cautious, just don't show it."
Ixevim looked around and when no body was watching, he casted a minor spell to detect if the wine they have been served was poisonous.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Kimuriel replies always mentally:

"Yes, I know, but this situation makes me feel very nervous. I just want to end all this story and move on. I... we have many questions to answer and many problems to resolve, but most of all I'm worry about my powers. I don't know what has happened at the room before, and till I understand if I can use my powers again I feel unprotected."

Kimuriel tries to calm himself after Ixevim's words and goes to look the books at the shelf, maybe he can find something important in them.
- W H A T ! ? !
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Kimuriel observed the books but found little of comfort. There seemed to be an exorborant number of trashy romance novels and the like. (send message to VAN for a spot check)

Artemis stood up to follow Ixevim to the food and drink served. Both wizards were confident that the food was not poisoned. Turning to the serving girl the illusion of Dr Xevim dismissed her and returned to the table only to pause a moment later when he realized the girl had not made any indication to leave. Looking back to her he reitterated the point. Her face under the servant's hat was sincere with thought. She was watching them.

"I said you may leave us, thankyou."

Suddenly the woman rushed forward, herself surprising fast. Ixevim barely had time to react with Heinrich and Nostalia both injured and helpless. What struck the illithid most though, was how Kimuriel froze. The detective simply did not react, the half elf's eyes registered the danger but he didn't use his significant powes to even slow the woman down or protect himself. So fearful had the attack of his mind been he seemed disconected.

The servant girl had passed Ixevim as he was caught of guard by the group's lack of defense and in a moment she was attacking Artemis. At least to the mindflayer that is what it looked like. Then he realised she was hugging the diplomat's tall body to her small frame. For an instant the visage of the girl shifted slightly, her hair darkened from dark brown to black and her eyes went from green to blue. It was Ivana Boritsi and she was sobbing quietly in Artemis' jacket.

"I couldn't cry the way... I wanted to." she mumbled softly "Not in front of them, in that room." she was fumbling with his coat's buttons and pulling on it slightly "Just ...let me..." she moved her face upwards and tears rolled silently downwards as her lips inched towards her servant's own. Her eyes closed as her heart raced with inner turmoil and confusion.

"Iva-" Artemis stammered
"Please... it hurts so much..."

At that moment Artemis' hand physically pushed Ivana away -so much so that she almost fell.

"Enough of this. We've done enough." he said forcefully

Ivana collapsed onto a chair nearby and became very quiet.

"Very well brother." she replied with resignation
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ixevim remained Frozen. A moment later he regained his composure.

"Lady Ivana, Artemis, you seem to know each other much. If I'm correct both of you mentioned that you were met about a century ago. Lady Boritsi, you had almost had Artemis executed for treason when he appeared, you hadn't seen him for fifty years and now you show all this . . . emotion?
Artemis, what is going on exactly? Can you give us an explanation? And please a clear explanation. I'm sorry if I'm asking about personal matters. But we are risking our lives and you are a man I consider ally . . ." Ixevim waves to Artemis and then bows to Ivana " . . . and you a Lady that seems distressed by the success of our mission, a mission that you gave us Lady Boritsi."
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Kimuriel shows the servant girl rushing towards them. He isn't sure if she wants to attack, but her behavior is for sure out of normal. A feeling of fear gets the psion, as he realizes how threatened he was. He cannot react, even get away from her, the muscles of his body are almost paralyzed. In other situation, the half-elf would try to use his powers against her, but without being sure about their effect, Kimuriel decides against that.

Always still, Kimuriel listen Ivana's words. The detective has been twice in Borca and even if he was not from there, knew for sure that Ivana Boritsi had no brothers, at least he knew that till now. Without being able to believe what he has just heard and momentarilly forgetting the good manners, he asks:

"Your what?"

Understunding immediately his mistake, Kimuriel gets a deep breath to calm himself, bows to Ivana and tries to forgive himself:

"I'm sorry Lady Ivana, I just was not ready about this unexpected revalation. Is Artemis really your brother?"
- W H A T ! ? !
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Lady Borca nodded with wide eyed innocence to Kimuriel's question.

"Yes... he is." she said simply as Artemis sat back down

"I believe the good doctor asked you a question dear." Artemis reminded causing the woman to move her attention to Ixevim

"I never intended to have dear Arty killed, not him oh no. My people on the other hand were misinformed. I apologise but a scapegoat was needed for these dark times. As for... your mission. While it was a success it... it still killed the man I loved." she sniffed and held her nerve, changing the subject so not to dwell on something that obviously upset her she spoke again

"I do so wonder why you have problems understanding a woman's heart good sir. Though I would suppose you have difficulty understanding anyone's feelings." she forced a smile and mischief was in her eyes
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Always nervous in front of Black Widow, Kimuriel decides to get a different way to get the answer he wants.

"I'm really sorry about Lord Pieter's fate Lady Boritsi, but I'm sure that Borca will be safer now and will regain its glory. All of us have tried to do our best to serve both you and Borca, but I think that our mission is ended. So, may we leave tomorrow morning or you will need again our services?"
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ixevim nodded.
"I do have difficulty my Lady. I believe your brother has informed you for me already. I'm sorry if I made you upset.
As for the question my ally Kimuriel asked, I want to add another. Is Borca now in a better state? Will things improve? Was the mission really a success?
And another one. Why Artemis's identity is unknown and your cousin Ivan had the place that was Artemis' by Birthright?"

Ixevim sent Artemis a telepathic message. Among the words of it, there were mixed emotions like acceptance, pride and generally like a "congratulations you passed another test" and a pat in the back, the mind flayer way.
"Thanks. You know when to keep a secret and you know when not. Still, I'm positive that I saw Lady Boritsi kiss you in the lips when you first met. From all the humans I know, this seems unusual except between lovers or married couples. Am I mistaken."
My DMGuild work!
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Ivana nodded to Kimuriel.

"You may of course take your leave tomorrow. But I promised a reward for your efforts and Borca must honor its pacts. You have but to ask and whatever I can grant you shall be yours.

As for the current state of affairs. I believe that at the moment the revolution has taken a drastic turn. You have disrupted the previous leadership and I have no doubts that by next summer I shall be able to reclaim my throne. I promise you things shall be set right, the church has gained much power and while some nobles almost deserved their fate I do not think anyone should be subjected to what they had been. Perhaps it shall make them think on their failings."

"I am sure it will my lady." Nostalia managed to nod from her resting place while listening to the conversation

"Thankyou dear Nostalia. But you must rest." Ivana returned her attention to the illithid "Artemis was kept an unknown factor due to the instability of my country at the time. In fact we did not even know of our connection immediatley -or at least I did not, Artemis I am sure you know, keeps his cards close to his chest. Isn't that right my darling?"

"Only at the best poker games."

"Hmm you see?" she pouted for a moment. At that time Artemis responded to Ixevim's mental question

There is a certain amount of history between Ivana and myself. I would venture our relationship is unusual.

"And now for your requests." Ivana continued "I can arrange for some transportation and as I have already stated -my personal boon. You have but to ask."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ixevim's mind raced. He thought to ask for a magic item, perhaps a ring like Artemis had.

"My Lady, you have our thanks and gratitude, I have thought of something I can ask . . ." And then Ixevim's gaze fell to Simone. Something broke within him. He has promised to help this man, in life, then death and now life again. Ixevim could almost see his reward flying out of the window, but the man has saved his life and he has promised.

He sent Simone a telepathic message. "What can I ask Lady Borca to honor our pact?" The message was clear of any emotion (mostly frustration) that Ixevim felt.

OOC: NO! NO! NO! Damn mind flayers and their Lawful attitude!
My DMGuild work!