The context of life is subject to interpretation

The Halfling campaign
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

As the Lord of Sithicus moved Cole could see a glimpse of what lay behind -two small piles of sand, one slightly larger than the other. Meanwhile Lord Soth was pointing at him.

"Delayed? That is inexscusable. I don't get enough screentime as it is and you want to take away MY land. Even the dwarf knew better." inside the helmet, what was once a man, sighed "I suppose you want to move along now do you? See your trollop and stab her in the heart. You amuse me sometimes in what you are."

"Get away from him." a voice interrupted, it was Laurel's. She was standing behind one of the stone pillars.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Pretty fierce for somebody I know to be dead...

But she always
was spirited.

Damnation.

I really do think I'm going insane.

Cole looked from Laurel to Soth, then back again...

"Why do I feel that somebody's yanking my chain?"
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Lord Soth let out a bark of laughter.

"Yanking 'your' chain? I beseech thee Kargat. Why must you think every thing is about you? Does it make you feel special to think that? That a person could not live without you? Bah it is a mistake far to many proud men have made."
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Cole responds by smiling slowly.

"You're a one to talk, Knight of the Black Rose. This from the ruler who spent years sitting immobile on his throne, 'lost in thought.' You have no room to lecture me about hubris. You, least of all."

Before Soth has time to reply (or just kill him), Cole holds up his withered arm

"Which is not to say that you're wrong."

The Darkonian turns to face Laurel

"And why are you still wasting your time on me? I wasn't worth it when you found me in Forlorn, and I'm only marginally better now."
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Laurel shoke her head. "No. You were always special Cole."

At this the Dark Night raised his fist. "Even now he plays the part, a tremendous performance. Enough of this."

"I agree, leave us. Cole has much to learn."

Lord Soth chuckled. The laughter grew until it turned into a manical sound. Then suddenly the light around Cole dimmed to almost nothing and he was in darkness. His head hurt slightly less for the moment and while he could no longer hear the Black Rose he did pick up Laurel's voice most distinctly.

"He's gone for now. Cole what are you doing here?"
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

"I don't even know where 'here' is. The last I knew, I was in some sewer in Hazlan, hunting for some wizard allied to Aderre."

Cole shakes his head, as if trying to clear cobwebs

"And I might ask you the same question, Laurel. I distinctly remember finding your body."
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

"Cole? What are you talking about? You're the one who died." Laurel's voice was full of concern as suddenly Cole's head gave into another burst of pain as light suddenly came to life when his former love lit a torch. His mind caught a glimpse of someone standing in front of him before he shielded his eyes and closed them from the sudden beginning flash -it was Laurel he knew, but ...with this headache.
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

"Well, if I died, then I've been an exceptionally lively corpse of late. My arm certainly wasn't like this the last time I saw you."

Cole holds the withered limb up for inspection, as he continues

"And what did Soth mean when he called me 'the main character'? Is this some sick game that I'm unaware of?"
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

"I do not know Mr Deschain. Perhaps you could describe what it mean't to you to hear those words?" Laurel's voice had changed, it was foreign. Looking from his inspection of his arm he couldn't believe what he saw.

He was in a room, office more likely, and lying on a red chesnut couch. Light was streaming in from a large window that was looking out over a city. Not so far away outside he could see the sea and smell the slight aroma of salt in the air. There was a clock in front of him -or at least resting on a table facing him. It was making a ticking noise as fine sand passed through it so as to turn its spinning cogs.

"What!?"
"I said what did it feel to see Laurel again and hear her words that you were dead? And that symbolism of Mr Soth... calling you the main character was it not?"

Cole turned to get up frantically and backed away only to see someone he hadn't expected. Sitting in a chair with a look of concern over his face was Charonne Willowbrook. He had a Lamodrian handlebar moustache but it was definatley him. In his hand he had a note book and was writing something as he observed Cole.

"Mr Deschain please sit down. We've only begun to scratch the surface."
"Huh? Oh... sorry." Cole said, at least he thought he did. He didn't seem to have full control over his words but all this felt... natural somehow. He gave the room one final look before seating himself down and thought he caught himself in a reflection on a glass door cabinet. He was old, so very old. Just what was going on?

"Now Mr Deschain... Cole if that is what you wish to call yourself. Please, explain to me why adventures were so important to you."

Suddenly Cole caught another glimpse of a figure or black spot in the forefront of his sight and he blinked.

"Come on Cole. We have to get going." Laurel was there tugging on his sleeve he was in the strange sewer room again "I'm not sure but I think we should leave, you're acting strange."
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

"No, just going insane."

He actually manages a laugh.

"Lead on, my dear. This evening can certainly get weirder."
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Laurel looked to Cole and for a moment it appeared she was going to say more but instead just nodded. Moving to a pillar she pulled out a large but elegant looking key and looked over to him.

"If you think you're going mad now I don't know how to explain what we'll likely see... this place is... odd would be an understatement."

Putting the key to the stone pillar nothing happened, a flash of concern showed on Laurel's face but then there was a low rumble and dirt fell from roof above. The bricks of the pillar moved and folded in on themselves, pulling back to reveal a wooden panelled door which seemed to shimmer and then solidify.

Laurel pulled on the handle and walked through the opening. Cole relunctantly followed and then had to shield his eyes. Outside. He was outside in a huge green field with a blue sky and clouds above. Behind him there was no longer a door but a dirt road. Laurel looked over to him and stretched her arms. In the natural sunlight Cole found he could breathe the fresh air and was starting to feel better already.

"I've been here for some time I believe. A few weeks maybe months... I think we are safe here for the moment. Perhaps we should eat and discuss why exactly you are here even thought you are mean't to be dead." she pointed to a nearby tree with comfortable shade. There was a small disused campfire nearby from other travellers and by the look of it spare fire wood. "Can you still start a fire? I've got some food we can cook." she patted the small sack that hung at her side
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Finally... a nice, straightforward task to undertake.

The Darkonian withdraws his flint and steel from one of his numerous pockets, and cupping them in his left hand, dexterously works them to make a spark.

"It appears I can."

He busies himself with the process of breaking twigs for kindling and building the firewood into a small pyramid.

"So I'm supposed to be dead, huh? When did this happen?"
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

"7th Novemember." Laurel answered quickly, it seemed the memory of his death was still with her.

"Hope you don't mind if I ask for a date?" Cole asked picking up a pot from her bag and turning back to the fire so to warm it. Laurel nodded and said she could even give him the time of day she had found him murdered by the Kargat at their home, and then she told him.

Cole looked down he had dropped the pot and was on his knees, why was he feeling weak? He couldn't breath for a moment and then his mind jutted back to the present. Laurel had told him when she had found him -it had been the same time he had found her body.

"I renounced the church after that." she was saying as Cole begun to feel his strength return and quickly recovered the pot masking it as a simple trip of his feet "They would not help me locate your killers and so I took it upon myself to avenge you. It is odd that you are here but I have seen many strange things while in this land."
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

"Well, Laurel m'dear, if we were to reverse the roles in your story you'd have what I think has been going on... with a few added years slapped onto the end of it as well. So I think that 'strange' is perhaps a bit of an understatement."

He ponders his right arm for a moment, and checks the sheath where he carried Mistrazor... His memories of his time with the Carnival, Miranda, Ivar, tracking the thief, finding Charonne in Barovia, along with the elf Tildor and the halfling Banob, the journey to Invidia... Desilda. The fight with the Gunsmith, reclaiming his weapon, their odd, seemingly doomed little group of companions, the journey to Bluetspur, the time shift after the Mists had taken them...

Had all of that been a hallucination? Or had he really never escaped Bluetspur...
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Laurel looked at Cole for a moment searching his face but remained silent. A while after she had prepared a simple vegetable soup.

"I'm running low on supplies again." she sighed "I think its time we moved on, maybe go to the market and then the house I use." she pointed down the nearby dirt road "Sounds like a plan?"