The context of life is subject to interpretation

The Halfling campaign
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

"Considering that not an hour ago I think I was in a sewer in Hazlan, that sounds like an excellent plan."

Not to mention a golden opportunity to do some legwork.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Clearing the resting site the two move to the nearby road and head west towards what Laurel said was the market of the land. They had travelled for an hour when in the distance Cole could see something glimmer in the sunlight. As they moved closer a forest could be seen intersecting the road and strangely it was the source of the reflection. The trees were made of mirrors and reflective metal while the leaves were tinted glass. It should have been blinding in the sun light but it seemed the above canopy prevented most of the light.

Laurel paused a moment to look around and Cole felt a twinge of pain hit his head.

Not wanting to waste time they pressed on.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

"Laurel... is that natural? I bring it up because as far as I recall, there was nothing like this in any nation I visited. Just where in hell's teeth are we?"
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

"In a world that doesn't make any sense... I don't..." Laurel clenched her right hand as her back was turned to Cole as she looked into the forest "This shouldn't be here but things change so often. I wish I could tell you where we were..."

Moving into the mirrors Cole found his sense of direction fade as everywhere he looked were reflections of himself, Laurel and the landscape. Fortunatley the path seemed simple enough to follow.
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

"Things change so often? Then how do you know where you're leading us? How do you know anything? How do you know I'm dead and you're alive? How long has it been like this, Laurel? Can you honestly recall the last time any of this made sense to you?"

Cole took note of both his relection and of Laurel's looking for any sign of distortion.

Just because I'm probably thoroughly insane doesn't mean I have to go peacefully
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Laurel gritted her teeth and hastily moved forward only to trip over. Cole was only barely able to catch her. For a moment she hanged there in his left arm looking into his eyes before she batted him away and stood up.

"I wasn't talking about this place Cole. I was talking about us... my feelings for you... Look, lets just go." she turned and continued walking this time taking care to watch her footing but still stomping forward slightly
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

"Yes, well, I'm sure you'll understand when I say that since I remember burying you, I'm not exactly sure what's going on, either. I've been with two other women since you died, Laurel. It's been years. And trying to pretend that it never happened isn't going to work."
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

His companion paused.

"There is no need to be cruel Cole. Though you always did have a refreshingly honest way to put things... I am glad some things still haven't changed." she took a breath "As for this place, I have never been here. But that does not startle me, there are strange things in this world. Stranger than I would think possible."
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

"You'll get no argument out of me. However, I'd be interested in hearing what you've been up to all of these years."

He didn't relax in any way. Something decidely fishy was going on, and he wasn't sure if it was Illithid tinkering, sewer gas, or just Hazlani wizardry....

But whatever it was, he knew better than to blindly trust his eyes.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

"Things I am not that proud of, to complete a task for good Ezran teachings say no sacrafice is too great but... I'm not sure anymore. I've degraded myself infront of men for the information they hold and murdered people I didn't know to prevent great evil I -at the time, was sure would spread."

Off in the distance the two both heard something move in the forest at a fast pace. Then the sound was gone again, the silence back.

"But nothing changed the world remained as it was." Laurel finished tensing herself "You heard that didn't you?"
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Without replying at first, he simply scanned their surroundings...

"Yes. I did."

His good hand slowly moved down to the hilt of Longtooth. Without taking his eyes off of the forest, he cleared his throat

"So, Laurel. This 'great evil' you spoke of... the Ezran doomsday prophecy, or something else? Because I can assure you that the way things played out for me, the failure to stop the spread of evil was total and absolute."
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

A disheveled, middle-aged man steps out of the forest and glances at the talking pair. The man stands nearly six feet tall, and his physique illustrates that he has lived the easy life of a merchant or nobleman. The paunch of his stomach loosely hangs over his belt, and the skin around his cheeks and neck sag slightly into jowls. Despite the flabby exterior of the man, the bulge of well toned muscles moves beneath his flesh. In fact, the man might look more intimidating if it didn’t look like he had been scavenging for food for a few weeks.

"Eh?" the man sputters as he looks at the two newcomers. He blinks his wide blue-grey eyes several times, and runs his right hand through the balding locks of his dark brown hair. "No, this just cannot be right. I don't remember reading about this chapter in my books. Perhaps, I lost my place again..."

Lifting his left hand, the man brings a thick book with a red, leather cover. Stabbing his right thumb on his tongue, he quickly flips through the massive tome as if searching for a particular page.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Hearing a voice (although not necessarily any of the words), Cole pivots in his saddle, looking towards the newcomer

"Hey! You! Who the hell are you, and what the hell are you doing here?"
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

"Who am I?" the man questions as he looks up from his book at Cole. "My name is Franklin. Franklin Midlothian to be specific."

"And from your appearance and demeanor," Franklin states matter of factly, "you must be Cole. While the clothes tend to match with the descriptions, it is the mangled arm that makes it the most obvious."

"Your companion, however, is more of a mystery to me." Franklin rubs his chin with one hand as he lowers the book with the other. "I remember a Desilda Von Luchen, but she had a different description. No, she isn't that character..."

Franklin trails off is his conversation as his mind seems to drift into a different train of thoughts. From his appearance and mannerisms, it is difficult to tell just how much is left of his mind.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Wonderful. Someone apparently even madder than I am.

"Well then, Mister Franklin Midlothian, what brings you to this inhospitable neck of the woods? And how is it that you know me? I sincerely doubt that I'm famous."