Movie Twists: May contain spoilers!

Books, movies, television and everything else
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Movie Twists: May contain spoilers!

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

What's your favourite movie twist? What one impressed you the most?

For me, it's "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" when you find out that Janet is really the Jackal and she's been playing Steve Martin and Michael Caine for the entire film.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

My favorite twist is an obvious one: Sixth Sense. I never never saw it coming!
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Unbreakable, hands down. Not only is it hard to see coming, but I love how the twist ending comes across as a natural extension of the movie rather than a gimmick.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

A difficult topic, because some people so easily see through a facade when others will not. I did not see the end of Sixth Sense, but have friends who thought it was completely obvious .. likewise, I saw the end of Unbreakable a mile off ...

The others was a good flick and while I knew something was up, I didn't forsee that. But, ultimately, I'll have to agree with the Sixth Sense ... that just broadsided me.

Very rare is it, however, that I don't pick up on a plot twist long before it is revealed .. be it in books or film ... thus the list I have to work with is very short.
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

For me it was the American verson of the Ring. Right up to the point where they get the girls bones out of the well and it seems like a nice normal up to that point relitilvely good horror move.....then they tack on a ending the made NO FRIGGIN SENCE!!!!
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

I agree, the ending of the Ring seemed pointless. What good is a ghost story if the ghost can't be put to rest? Then it's just a slasher. The ending cheapened the entire mystery behind the film.

Also, if the little boy knew so much about what was going on, why the hell didn't he say something to his mother earlier!?

Blah ... that is a movie I'd sooner forget.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Dominique wrote:Unbreakable, hands down. Not only is it hard to see coming, but I love how the twist ending comes across as a natural extension of the movie rather than a gimmick.
God yes! Best twist ever!

In one scene they turned the hero into the creepiest villian ever.

I loved that last line, especially - it just caped the character off so well, considering the comicbook theme
"They called me Mr. Glass"
Evil Reigns!!!!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Most recently, the end of the movie Saw. I was not expecting the body lying in the blood during the whole movie to get up and be the bad guy. :shock:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

The Village had a nice end twist to it, but not everybody liked it.

Joël
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:The Village had a nice end twist to it, but not everybody liked it.

Joël
Well I'm one who did like it! Spoilers here:

I did guess it was the elders who created the story but I didn't guess it was the big tall guy who attacked the girl. And I never never guessed they were actually in our time!
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Bah.

Only The Ring actually surprised me- and unlike some of you, I actually liked it. "You helped her? You weren't supposed to HELP her."

NOW you tell her, kid? Sheesh.

Another good one (if an old one) was from The Manchurian Candidate (the REAL one, thank you kindly)... Raymond Shaw's solution.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Saw, Se7en, Sixht Sense, I expected all those twists when I was watching the movies, though the end of Saw makes no sense, though I still enjoyed it.

One movie twist I also enjoyed was in Identity, though I had already guessed who the killer was ;)

Another good story twists was the final shots of Urotsuki Doji - Inferno Road, I'd hate to have to go through all AGAIN!

What I really liked about Ring was that Sadako could be put to rest (as seen in Ring 2), also a clue to how to put her to rest is contained in her cursed video tape, very nicely done.

Now I gotta go back to reading Spiral (Razen).
Swallow your soul!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Saw surprised me. I saw most of the twists coming (such as the orderly being 'bad' as well as manipulated in his own right). But the real baddy surprised the heck out of me.
I liked the US Ring too for the reasons Cole described, seemed so interesting and a twist on every traditional ghost story where you're supposed to lay the ghost to rest. I'll still have to rent the Jap version.
And I loved Unbreakable. Perfect twist that fit the genre and as mentioned it wasn't just a gimmick like Signs or The Villiage was based around (and I saw the big final twist in the latter coming from the very begining, although the leaders being involved surprised me).

Other movies were Fight Club (which I saw the first time drunk out of my gourd so my guard for twists was down, and I had not read a review that mentioned any twist so I wasn't looking). And... um....
I know there are more, just can't think of any. Die Hard I and III were pretty good for surprise villian motives...
jamesravenwing
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jamesravenwing »

I was really blindsided by Sixth Sense, Fight Club and The Ring. Normally I spot the villain way off in the beginning but these movies completely suprised me. This is why I like them so much.
I agree, the ending of the Ring seemed pointless. What good is a ghost story if the ghost can't be put to rest? Then it's just a slasher. The ending cheapened the entire mystery behind the film.
I disagree. A never ending ghost that just keeps going seems like the most terrifying thing to me. And in this movie they did it properly.
"His eyes had all the seeming of a demon that was dreaming..."

"Let me also wear
Such deliberate disguises
Rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves"
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

FIGHT CLUB SPOILERS

The end of Fight Club didn't surprise me at all, mostly because they had the really quick shot of Brad Pitt in the first minute or so of the movie, which implied he was a hallucination from the start. That was an incredibly stupid move on the director's part, IMHO. If he hadn't done that, I never would have guessed the ending, but with that in there, Fight Club is officially the only movie that I've figured out within the first five minutes. :(
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House