Doctor Who (It's Spoilerific)

Books, movies, television and everything else
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Aaaaahhhhh... revenge is sweet, but not as sweet as rotting meat *mmm... rotting meat... drools*
Swallow your soul!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

So there's going to be a spin-off of the new Doctor Who. One season and already a spin-off.
It'll be called "Torchwood" and will star John Barrowman as Captain Jack.
"It's a renegade bunch of investigators charged by the British government to find alien technology that has fallen to Earth," BBC Three controller Stuart Murphy told The Independent.

The show will be set in Cardiff, and will be 13 45-minute episodes, transmitting between series of Doctor Who. Confirmed writers include Sapphire and Steel creator PJ Hammond.
So, yay! I'm a fan of Cap't Jack. He was great fun.
Jester of the FoS

The Christmas Invasion.

Our first look at the new Doctor. Some fun moments. A couple glimpses at past characters. Hints at what is to come.
I like the actor for the new Doc but want to see more before I decide, hard to tell if they're making him different and new enough... I winced when he said "fantastic", that was something for the last Doctor, not this one.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

David of the FoS wrote:The Christmas Invasion.

Our first look at the new Doctor. Some fun moments. A couple glimpses at past characters. Hints at what is to come.
I like the actor for the new Doc but want to see more before I decide, hard to tell if they're making him different and new enough... I winced when he said "fantastic", that was something for the last Doctor, not this one.
I liked the set up for Torchwood.

This episode reminded me of the Buffy episode "Seeing Red." It all seems like a normal episode until the last ten minutes...
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Jester of the FoS

The best thing about the new show is they're doing episodes about the questions people always had.
How come no one ever calls the Doctor on his killing (the last Dalek one)? What happens if someone changes time? What purpose do the Timelords serve, why are they called Timelords (Father's Day, when Rose changes time)? What does the TARDIS run on? What would happen if the Doctor had to talk to someone he condemmed to death? After the Doc meddles does everything always go right? What if he returned and found out he'd made things worse?

This episode was all about two big questions: "What happens if something bad happens and the Doctor isn't there?" and "What happens if the Doctor is needed and he's regenerating at the time?". Every other time he's recovered before things get really bad or the sitation is mild enough that it's handled in time.

I'm still loving this show. Right up there on my current list of fave shows. Heck, it's topping my list of all-time favourite sci-fi shows along with Bab5, DS9, and the new Battlestar Galactica (second part of season 2 starts soon, glee).
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Major question!

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

You know, I have to agree with David' analysis. They've really done a bang-up job addressing the age-old questions the series raised in past decades.

I really like the fact that the show is very accessable to new viewers. My significant other can easily follow it. Also, I like how they have updated the show. The new look, feel, and flow of the show is much better.

And I almost see Rose as the main character, not the Doctor, because the whole series is seen through her eyes.

Major Question - I've recently seen the series on sale at AmazonUK in a sweet boxed set. But if I bought the DVD set of the series, would it work on an American DVD player? Or no? Just thought I would ask.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Major question!

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:You know, I have to agree with David' analysis. They've really done a bang-up job addressing the age-old questions the series raised in past decades.

I really like the fact that the show is very accessable to new viewers. My significant other can easily follow it. Also, I like how they have updated the show. The new look, feel, and flow of the show is much better.

And I almost see Rose as the main character, not the Doctor, because the whole series is seen through her eyes.

Major Question - I've recently seen the series on sale at AmazonUK in a sweet boxed set. But if I bought the DVD set of the series, would it work on an American DVD player? Or no? Just thought I would ask.
The TARDIS boxset rocks, it's sitting next to me now...

It's Reigon 2, so it won't work on a standard US DVD player. I think you might be able to unlock it, though, so it's reigionless. Don't ask me how, I watch my DVDs on my PS2.
Jester of the FoS

If you have popped the regional chip in your DVD player then yes.
That would allow you to watch DVDs from across the globe and free you have having to buy anmd watch expensive specialty-store imports, illegal bootlegs or the limited choices of DVDs brought over by N. American distributors.

If you haven't cracked open your DVD player, voided your warantee and removed a piece then no, it will not play on any DVD player not from the UK.

But, don't fear, a Canadian version will be out as early a February and, althought it may not make it to amazon.com, I'm sure amazon.ca will work. Canadian DVDs, being part of Region 1, play in US machines.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Intresting fact: The box holds 25 DVDs, in boxes, yet is only 5 in. by 5in. by 7 in.
Jester of the FoS

Clicky

Date is set. Prepare to suck-up to Canadian friends.
Jester of the FoS

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:And I almost see Rose as the main character, not the Doctor, because the whole series is seen through her eyes.
Yeah, I'm surprised by how much I like Rose. Especially since I was dead-set against the actress when I first heard. Funny that, I am impressed by her.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

David of the FoS wrote:
Ivana_Boritsi wrote:And I almost see Rose as the main character, not the Doctor, because the whole series is seen through her eyes.
Yeah, I'm surprised by how much I like Rose. Especially since I was dead-set against the actress when I first heard. Funny that, I am impressed by her.
The episode that won Billie over for me was Father's Day.
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

David of the FoS wrote:Yeah, I'm surprised by how much I like Rose. Especially since I was dead-set against the actress when I first heard. Funny that, I am impressed by her.
The episode where she won me over was "The End of the World," where I thought we were really watching the whole thing through her eyes. It's also when the series really won me over. Gee, aliens are...alien! It's really weird to travel through time and you miss your mum and all of that stuff.

It's a really shame that Bille Piper's will leave the show after this season though. :P

Oh, well. I hope the series continues to florish.

My favorite episode so far, however, has to be "The Empty Child." Very creepy. It very much had that mysterious and spooky feel that alot of the old episodes did, but the episode really worked in a conventional sense, too. it was definately written for a 2000's audience.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

My favourite episode was Dalek.

The whole scene with the Doctor and the Dalek was amazing. And Van Statten's treatment of the Dalek just seemed so, so American to me that it just worked.
Jester of the FoS

I don't have a favorite, so many have been good.

And Billie and Rose were won on me at End of the World as well. Another fun questioning episode where we get to see the new companion go "WTF?!" at everything and question why they just ran off with a total stranger.

So is she leaving for sure? I've heard alot of mixed messages and nothing official.