Doctor Who (It's Spoilerific)

Books, movies, television and everything else
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Doctor Who (It's Spoilerific)

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I saw the new Doctor Who last night and I was impressed. There were a few things I had a problem with, but they were minor quibbles.

The Plot:
Living plastic has come to Earth to try and destroy humanity, the Doctor is here to stop it. It starts with Rose, a typical English girl, who works in a department store. When she goes to the basement to give the caretaker the money for the Lottery she is attacked by living shop dummies (or the Autons).

The Doctor rescues her and sends her home. He also blows up the shop, so the first thing he does to his new assitant is make her unemployed. Rose goes home and recovers.

The next day the Doctor mysteriously visits her house, tracking down the Autons. He leaves Rose even more confused. She uses the internet to search for the Doctor and the TARDIS. She meets a man who tells her about the Doctor. Meanwhile her boyfried is eaten by a wheelie bin. Nice.

Her boyfriend is now an Auton and tries to learn of the Doctor. After he attacks them in a resturant, Rose and the Doctor flee to the TARDIS.

They find the Autons' Living Conciousness hiding under the London Eye, kill it and all is well in the world once more.

The Good Bits:
Eccelston was amazing, funny, quick and witty.
Piper surprised me. She's mostly famous for getting drunk with her ex-husband, so learning she can act is a shock.
The teaser for next week. Those villains look cool.

The Bad Bits:
The effects where a bit dodgy.
The music was particularly bad.

What I've learnt from Doctor Who:
You can run across the Thames from one bank to another and not get out of breath.
All dummies contain hidden guns.
No one bats an eyelid when they see a 1950s Police Box in modern day London.

I was surprised, being as the writer of this also wrote the brilliant Queer as Folk. But I will watch next week.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

I'm looking forward to this new series. Here in Australia, they're repeating the old show in preparation for the new series release here.

So, I have a few questions. Firstly, what is the inside of the TARDIS like? I know there was some information suggesting it had been modernised... but by how much? Secondly, does it explain anything about the previous regeneration... or does the Doctor now have a complete new cycle of regenerations as was mentioned in one of the older episodes during the run of the Fifth Doctor? And lastly, are the episodes still 30 mins?
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

It was about 45 minutes minus commercials. Regeneration was never mentioned so it appears the new Doctor has been so for a while, at least for a half dozen un-detailed adventures (and yet he never saw a mirror).
Tale for another day.

The TARDIS is definetly different, very odd looking with lots of tubes and wires. Reminded me more of something from Lex or other organic-tech sci-fi than Doctor Who. Earth colours and the like, but you could see the similarities and the console was pretty much the same.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

I believe all episodes have shifted to the 45 minute length (roughly 1 hour with adverts). It has also been stated the multiple episode story arcs will be much less. I find this strange as that was what made Dr Who all the more compelling to me -the fact you had to watch the next episode to find out what happened next.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I found Billie Piper extremely annoying and loved the cheesey effects, the black guy being eaten by the Wheelie Bin was marvelous though.

The interior of the TARDIS reminds me of a cross between the Lexx and Moya from farscape. There is a large spacial area beneath the floor of the TARDIS control room (the floor is now transparent and shows galaxies, machinery and so on beneath), it looks kinf of industrial in a Sci-fi/Steam Punk sort of way.

Eccelston is good as the new doctor though, however, if you ask me he looks like The Master but after shaving his beard off, lol.
What I've learnt from Doctor Who:
You can run across the Thames from one bank to another and not get out of breath.
All dummies contain hidden guns.
No one bats an eyelid when they see a 1950s Police Box in modern day London.
Those bits had me laughing in the show, but not as much as The Doctor not being able to notice the London Eye all lit up, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Eccelstonb will not be returning as The Doctor in the second season of Doctor Who, just as the show was given the go-ahead for a second season, he has turned down the offer to renew his contract on the grounds that he doesn't want to become type cast in the role as all the others have over the year with the series. Understandable, but the Doic onlt has so many Regenerations left, unless they replace him with another Doctor, lol. of course, that would be a stupid thing for them to do.
Swallow your soul!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Episode 2: The End of the World

This weeks episode was better than last weeks, more background on the Doctor, more acting from Billie Piper, actual aliens and a decent story.

It's the year 5 Billion, the end of the world. The Doctor and Rose have arrived as witnesses, mainly so the Doctor can show off the TARDIS' abilities to Rose.

Here has gathered some of the most important people in the Galaxy, to witness the end of History. Unfortunately, someone is sabotageing the station in order to kill everyone on board.

The Doctor and Rose discover some spider-like robots on the station, then things go to hell in a hand basket.

The Doctor and a Tree-woman called Jade save the day whilst Rose is trapped in a room with the Sun Filter shutting down to fry her little blonde head.

The Good Bits:
I like the Chemistry between Eccelston and Piper. It works somehow.
The show is just REALLY British, which is good. I was expecting some Americanisation, mainly because the BBC wants it to sell.
Zoe Wanamaker was in it. I love her, she's funny.
They didn't use as bad music this week.

The Bad Bits:
The music still sucked.
No Daleks yet.
Jade dying. What? She was a cool character and could have been reaccuring.

What I've learnt from Dr Who:
Nokia phones have really, really good reception.
Alien writings is just really elaborate Roman letters.
The TARDIS requires a bike pump to work.
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

anyone know if they are going to be showing this in the states anytime soon?

are they counting the 93 piece of s**t americanized tv movie version?
I.E. is the dr in his 8th or 9th generation?

is this revenge cause you guys across the pond had to wait 3 years for buffy?
Jester of the FoS

It is NOT a continuization of the American TV movie as far as we know. The old TV-show is *kinda* canon or at least kinda-sorta happened but they're keeping it details lite for the new viewers. Apparently the Doctor from that movie is considered the 8th Doctor so Eccelston is the 9th Doctor with a possible 3 more IIRC (and not counting the evil last Doctor from the Trial of a Timelord story that would put it at 2 more).

It has not been picked up for airing in the States and the most likely channel (Sci-Fi) declined. And other networks like Fox are wary because it is British, a cult show and the TV movie bombed. They're more than happy to rip-off British reality shows and sit-coms (Coupling, Men Behaving Badly, the Office) but not the rest.
If you're in the States you're out of luck for several months until the DVD is inevitably released.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:The show is just REALLY British, which is good. I was expecting some Americanisation, mainly because the BBC wants it to sell.
Zoe Wanamaker was in it. I love her, she's funny.
Well Zoe Wannamaker is American, so maybe that will help the show sell in the States, lol.
The music still sucked.
Agreed!
No Daleks yet.
Sadly, none yet, but from what I have seen they are meant to be in this series, looking like they used to but with a bit of a facelift ;)
Jade dying. What? She was a cool character and could have been reaccuring.[/quote

Yanno, I thought the same thing, she could have become even more interesting in time.
Nokia phones have really, really good reception.
And even better reception when calling from 5 billion years in the future, lol.
The TARDIS requires a bike pump to work.
I thought that was agreat touch :)

A problem I have with the new series so far is that the Sonic Screwdriver is used far to much and not once has the control console of the TARDIS required a kick to get working.
Swallow your soul!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Cassandra reminded me of that scene in Brazil.

And Daleks are in the last episode of the series, apparently. And on the May 7th episode Simon Pegg from Shaun of the Dead plays the villain.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Can't wait to see Simon Pegg in there, or the Daleks for that matter :)
Swallow your soul!
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Any confirmations to the rumours that a completely re-vamped Cybermen race will soon be making an appearance? It was suggested recently on another message board that they'll be making a bid for galactic conquest starting with Gallifrey.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Jester of the FoS

That might prove difficult from what we've learned of the backstory.
I'm curious as hell to find out what happened, that alone is worth the price of admission.
Music wise I agree the show iw poor. While I loved Tainted Love and busted a gut on that knowing that Brittney somehow survives until the end of the world someone makes life less worth living.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Not really heard anything much on the cybermen for the new series, but some rumours said they were not to appear while a few others said they were to appear, so who knows.

Watch out for Aliens of London, they look like mutant jelly babies, lol.

The Beeb have also announced the new Dr Who for the next season, but I frget who it is... I think it's the guy from that Casanova series but I might be wrong. My memoery is as bad as ever.

I have finally found something negative to say about the new Dr Who though, the cliffhangers when they do appear are utterly ruined by the clips that come up immediately after showing the preview to the next episode :(
Swallow your soul!