Record of the Lodoss War

Discussing all roleplaying games
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Record of the Lodoss War

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce this fav anime/manga/RPG of mine to you other confratres!

I am sure there's no *geek* who hasn't heard of it before!

For info on the anime, just google.

For info on the RPG, check here:
http://kastruel.freeservers.com/

and here for d20 material:
http://www.lodossdreams.net/

*Busy*

Rafael

:soth:
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I played Lodoss War RPG years ago... thankfully our DM could read Japanese... then again, he was Japanese :P
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

:ankhtepot:

I my heart you'll see the biggest and all-comsuming ENVY...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Should have moved to Wales when I had the opportunity...

Was it a worthy session?

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

It was fun to play when we had the chance, the guy joined our regular group while he was in the country and offered to DM the game for us. Some of us knowing Lodoss War from the anime (which we obtained long before it was translated) were not gonna turn down the opportunity. I do own some of the Lodoss War books, but they were packed away a very long time ago. I never even read through them fully myself, I bought them while I was learning Japanese and well... the books have spent the last 8 years or so in a box in the attic, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

:wink: Every serious anime/manga fan tries at some point to learn Japanese and spends a ridiculous sum for books from the east... As in your case, my books also ended up as a *impressive, but pretty useless* decoration of my bookshelf...

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I took it up more or less to read books that weren't available here in the west, like the books by Koji Suzuki and other horror authors. I spent 5 years learning to read kanji and katakana, lol. Since then I have forgotten most of it from lack of practice, but for a while I did buy a fair few horror novels from Japan.

I also sport a collection of some very rare (like the Aaa! Megami-sama art books) anime books theses days ;)
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

:wink: Nice to see that all of us gothic dwellers seem to have a soft side. (*Hugs his Hello-Kitty pillow*) The guy behind Ahh! Megami-sama also did the incredible artwork for the *Tales* video game series, which are some of the best old fantasy rpgs. Now, I guess you knew that already...:D

:) If you've trouble gettign through some of the books, you may be happy to hear that HASBRO/WotC and CPM already obtained the rights for the translation of Mr Mizuno's works. *Although I believe WotC did so mainly to PREVENT Sworld World to be produced in USA and to rival BESM*

Mr Suzuki's works, which, if I am not mistaken, include *Ring*, have already been translated in some European languages...

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Desdichado wrote:Mr Suzuki's works, which, if I am not mistaken, include *Ring*, have already been translated in some European languages...
The thrid novel in the Ring Cycle (I know it is a silly name, but it is the official one) is undergoing translation into english now, though it has been available as a e-book for a few years. Don;t bother looking for the e-book now though, it;s been taken off due to the english language copyright now being owned :(
Nice to see that all of us gothic dwellers seem to have a soft side. (*Hugs his Hello-Kitty pillow*)
I am hiding all of my cute things, including my limited edition Rinoa pencil topper from FF8, Aaa! Megami-sama garage kits and signed prints, Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon art books, EVA keychains, etc... :P
The guy behind Ahh! Megami-sama also did the incredible artwork for the *Tales* video game series, which are some of the best old fantasy rpgs. Now, I guess you knew that already...
Kosuke Fujishima also supplied all the design work for Sakura Wars ;)

It is also worth noting that his 2 biggest series, You're Under Arrect and OMG! are spawned from a 4 panel strip that landed him his initial job in the manga industry ;)
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

If you like Fujishima and Lodoss, I have to recommend you the Tales of Phantasia anime, which is just amazing!
Besides, since *quality* heroic fantasy animes are really hard to find, I'd recommend you Ys: The Anime, another video game adaption which is just outstanding!

And yeah, Sakura Wars was *totally mentally derranged*, but certainly one of the best mecha series I've ever seen! *Although my loyality still is with the very old Kishin Heidan*

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Y's was good, I used to play all the games on the old PC Engine, lol.

Never seen Tales of Phantasia, I have read up about it and it looked pretty cool, just never found any to watch. I did like .HACK// though. HACK had an intelligence to it that really made you think.

Never been much a fan for MECHA anime, I have always been more for the likes of Urusei Yatsura (movie 5 still makes me cry at the end, lol), Aaa! Megami-sama, Love Hina, His/Her Circumstances, Chobits, etc. I like nie heartwarming stories.

On the other hand, I do like things such as Witch Hunt Robin, FUll Metal Alchemist (saw the first episode only), Cowboy Bebop, S-cry-D, Ring, etc.

It's been a long time since I really watched anime though, I do need to get back into it, I can't remember the names of half of the shows I watched, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Desdichado wrote::wink: Nice to see that all of us gothic dwellers seem to have a soft side. (*Hugs his Hello-Kitty pillow*)
Hello Kitty! scares me more than anything else on the planet, especially after I read about the murder in Hong-Kong where a Hello-Kitty! doll was used to hide the skull of the victim, and people laughed saying "Hello-Kitty! wouldn't mind!"
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Le Noir Faineant

:D

I've always been a fan of epic stories, so my fav animes are quite of the same kind...

Besides RoLW, I absolutely liked *Arslan*, *Berserk*, and *Vampire Hunter D* (quite trashy, but one of my all-time fav Helloween videos), just anything *medieval and full of fantasy*.
Apart from that, Rurouni Kenshin is the finest comic series EVER to me (I really cried when I saw the last episode... :shock: Seems that I am a sensitive person...).

You saw the last *UY* movie? - How does it end? -I mean, I saw the series some years ago, but never got my hands on the movies...*And it doesn't seem I ever will* - so, the end remained a mystery to me until now...

I used to hang around in a comic store every day when I was younger... Trading cards, etc... So I had already been spoiled with tons of fantasy novels, comic books, and rpgs before I was even 12...
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote: Hello Kitty! scares me more than anything else on the planet, especially after I read about the murder in Hong-Kong where a Hello-Kitty! doll was used to hide the skull of the victim, and people laughed saying "Hello-Kitty! wouldn't mind!"

:shock:

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Desdichado wrote:Besides RoLW, I absolutely liked *Arslan*, *Berserk*, and *Vampire Hunter D* (quite trashy, but one of my all-time fav Helloween videos), just anything *medieval and full of fantasy*.
Apart from that, Rurouni Kenshin is the finest comic series EVER to me (I really cried when I saw the last episode... :shock: Seems that I am a sensitive person...).
I never saw any Arslan after the third part, I did like what I saw though. Blue Gender, Blue Seed, 3x3 Eyes, and others are also among my favourites.
You saw the last *UY* movie? - How does it end? -I mean, I saw the series some years ago, but never got my hands on the movies...*And it doesn't seem I ever will* - so, the end remained a mystery to me until now...
There are 6 UY movies, but the 6th is to mark the 10th anniversary of the anime. Movie 5 is the proper ending. it ends with Ataru and Lum playing tag again, this time for the memories of those in the town, if Ataru doesn't grab Lum's horns in 10 days they will all forget her and she will leave the earth. All Ataru has to do to allow Lum to let him touch her horns is to tell her that he loves her, of course he gets out of it by keeping her old horns that fell off when she reached adulthood and screaming out that he would never forget her. It is Lum who then goes to him and lifts his hands up to her horns, shutting down the Memory Erasing machine that has been flying about. Also, one scene has a nice MECHA send up ;) Giant MECHA baseball anyone? lol. Movie 6 involves a love potion and has Ataru falling in love with another alien princess, Lum must then find a cure.
I used to hang around in a comic store every day when I was younger... Trading cards, etc... So I had already been spoiled with tons of fantasy novels, comic books, and rpgs before I was even 12...
I used to use importers or just import myself from abroad, often doing the latter was alot cheaper. Except for model kits, those were cheaper to let a company import. I still pride myself on a 1/8 scale resin Belldandy kit that I spent a total of 50 hours work on. The paint work on it is perfect.
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: I never saw any Arslan after the third part, I did like what I saw though. Blue Gender, Blue Seed, 3x3 Eyes, and others are also among my favourites.
In GB, the release policy was always far better as in Germany. (The same with D&D, lol).
I was happy enough to see Blue Seed and Dirty Pair from *Manga Video* some three years earlier than most other fans living in Germany.
BTW, the last episode of Arslan was quite similar to the last episode of Evangelion, IIRC. So, you didn't miss much. (Reflection about things one barely can get some sense into.)
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: It is Lum who then goes to him and lifts his hands up to her horns, shutting down the Memory Erasing machine that has been flying about.
So, they get together in the end?! :D :D :D
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: I used to use importers or just import myself from abroad, often doing the latter was a lot cheaper. Except for model kits, those were cheaper to let a company import. I still pride myself on a 1/8 scale resin Belldandy kit that I spent a total of 50 hours work on. The paint work on it is perfect.

Ah, resin... :x :x :x MY FINGERS A TOO FAT FOR THIS KIND OF WORK!
*Still crying about the super-expensive Deedlit kit I completely messed up.* So, you visited Japan? *LARGE envy* :cry: For me *importing* means that, when I am back in Spain visiting my family, I go and check the comic stores there... *Which can be quite great! Last year I found ANAM* :D

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Desdichado wrote:So, they get together in the end?! :D :D :D
Yep, with Ataru declaring to Lum (while they are fleeing for their lives from the rest of the cast) that he would admit that he loved her on his death bed, but both of them seem pretty happy about that.
Ah, resin... :x :x :x MY FINGERS A TOO FAT FOR THIS KIND OF WORK!
*Still crying about the super-expensive Deedlit kit I completely messed up.* So, you visited Japan? *LARGE envy* :cry: For me *importing* means that, when I am back in Spain visiting my family, I go and check the comic stores there... *Which can be quite great! Last year I found ANAM* :D
Never visited Japan, I would just order from Japanese companies. Who in their right minds would fly to Japan just to get cheap manga and merchandise? lol

Blue Seed I bought on American DVD for the equivalent of about £30 for the whole series box set, I regard it as one of my greatest finds. That and the BGC Tokio 2040 DVD box set for $30 in a sale :D :D :D

I always managed to find cheap DVD's in the States, including some hentai that I picked up for a laugh, lol. Plus, I got all of Urotsuki Doji uncut on DVD for $50, or about that ;)
Swallow your soul!