Land of the Dead

Books, movies, television and everything else
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

On the topic of CGI vs pratical specail effects I offer my favorite quote on the subject-

“CGI at its best will never be as scary as practical special effects at its worse. In one the hero is being hunted by a 30’ foot tall monster in 256 million shades of green and black, dripping realistically rendered acidic blood. In the other she is being hunted by a sweaty, five foot eleven balding guy from Jersey wearing a suit of rubber and latex and little else…” Carl Toop (the guy in the Alien costume from Aliens)
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

I hate you!! I hate you all!! I hope your dvd-players burn and your cars won't ignite anymore!!

In my country I have to wait till christmass and even then it'll be straight to video clubs!!

Aaaaaarghh!! Brains!!

About Romero's originals, I've seen'em all, I'm a proud owner of the 4 dvd collection plus the remakes of night and dawn plus the uncut version of dawn with an extra 20 mins of gorific pleasure.

Tom is the god of special effects, one of the coolest "actors" ever (Dusk till Dawn anyone?) and my favorite "cameo" man along with Bruce Campbell.

Tom has created some of the most memorable moments in Horror History, he doesn't need cgi if he can help it.

I'll be going to the UK in a couple of weeks. Can someone please tell me wether I can find it on sale?
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Gonna go see it tonight. If I don't make it back...............................wait longer. :wink:
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

sabbattack wrote:Tom is the god of special effects, one of the coolest "actors" ever (Dusk till Dawn anyone?) and my favorite "cameo" man along with Bruce Campbell.
Well, Savini didn't actually do any effects for this film, just a cameo for his buddy George.

The FX work was supervised by a man named Greg Nicotero, and while it's not Savini it's good stuff. I was quite impressed by Nearly Headless Nick.
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Eh. It was a so-so film, IMO. The FX were pretty good, the story was fairly depressing (not always a bad thing), but I couldn't really care about any of the characters, and that's a bust for me. I'd give it two corpses, maybe three.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

As for other Romero movies, Diamond Dead is slated for a 2007 release, but from what I hear, it is not a zombie movie. Land of the Dead is a continuation of the other Dead movies, but like the others, it is not a direct continuation, but none of them were truly direct sequels.

I haven't seen Land of the Dead yet, but am hoping to soon :twisted:
Swallow your soul!
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

One favor. Since I'm going to England in a week or so, does anyone know if the version in English cinemas is uncut or rated??

I read somewhere that it is cut for Rated-R, so i'll have to wait for dvd realease...

:cry: :cry:
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

It won't even be released in England until September, and I've heard it's got a 15 certificate.

Gorewise, the release I saw was on the harder end of R. Romero noted in an interview that he was expected to shoot for an R and did so, but that there will be some extra stuff on the DVD.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Land of the Dead will be released in two formats onf DVD, the Director's (uncut) Cut and the theatre (R rated) cut. Same as last years Dawn of the Dead re-adaptation.

Lemme just say that the UK release date for Land of the Dead has annoyed ALOT of fans, including myself :( It was one of the 2 movies out this summer I have actually been looking forward to.
Swallow your soul!
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

Well, I can surely feel you since I've been waiting this movie for my whole life!! (no joke, I saw the original Night when I was 9 years old, and I'm devoted ever since, if you don't mind my irrational fear of zombies ever since! :P )

Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Lemme just say that the UK release date for Land of the Dead has annoyed ALOT of fans, including myself :( It was one of the 2 movies out this summer I have actually been looking forward to.
FWIW, I think it was originally slated for a fall release in the US as well and then got bumped up to June because the studio changed its mind about releasing some film they had for that June 24 slot. If this is so, it's entirely possible they didn't care overmuch about bumping up the release for outside the US.
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

sabbattack wrote:Well, I can surely feel you since I've been waiting this movie for my whole life!! (no joke, I saw the original Night when I was 9 years old, and I'm devoted ever since, if you don't mind my irrational fear of zombies ever since! :P )
What's irrational about being afraid of zombies? :wink:

Haven't seen this one yet, and it looks like I'm going to have to wait for DVD. I watched the director's cut of "Dawn of the Dead" and enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was that great. A way to pass a couple of hours, but nothing too inspiring.

I actually thought "28 Days Later" was better by a long shot, even though the budget was obviously less and the premise slightly different.
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I agree about 28 Days Latter. Though it used a slightly different pitch, it held true to the classic zombie movie themes without being derrivative.

Dawn of the Dead was just an inferior remake of what was already a good movie. On its own, it was probably good, but because it has to compete with the Romero's Dawn, it just ends up for the worse.
Evil Reigns!!!!