Quickie Movie Review: Dark Water

Books, movies, television and everything else
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:The original Oceans 11 had entertainment value, it may not have been a brilliant movie but it was entertaining, the remake just bored me.

Fidtfull of Dollar was good, but Yojimbo was better :) I love the old Kurosawa movies but not had a chance to watch them for far to long.
Go back and watch the original Ocean's 11 again. Really. For the record, I'm sure some people like it. But it offended me. The characters are blatantly sexist, racist, and never apologize for it. The story is confusing. Most of all, the movie is downright boring.

Now the remake? Different story.

I think that Fist Full of Dollars took Kurosawa even further - upping the ante as it were. The reason I put "Fist" higher than "Yojimbo" is that Fist changed how movies were made forever.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

Why would you expect the Ratpack to apologize for being sexist? Particularly in Las Vegas during the time the movie was made. And wasn't Sammy Davis, Jr. in the movie, too?

It's been waay too long since I've seen the original "Ocean's 11" to really discuss it, but I don't remember it being what you're saying it was, Ivana. Further, the two most flaming liberals I know were, coincidentally discussing the film at dinner on Saturday. We were talking about remakes vs. originals, and one loves O-11, the other just doesn't like Vegas movies. And as I recall the original O-11, I enjoyed it for the same reason my ultra-liberal friend did. Everything that was cool about "fantasy Vegas" during that period is on display in the film. (THAT is basically all I remember about it.)
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Times change and political standard change with them. If the Rat Pack version of O-11 was made today then their would be outcry against it, but it was pretty much the norm at the time. I just enjoy the movie, racist and sexist or not. I just note that times have changed since ;)
Swallow your soul!