HP and the half-blood prince

Books, movies, television and everything else
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:OK, Catman was quicker and he reveal more... Shhh! Let them read it ;)Did you like the book ?
Haven't quite finished it yet, I got sidetracked, my daughter gave me Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for the PS2 for my birthday... :wink:
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

Aggghhhhh And I am still in Goblet of Fire........instead of writing in this thread I'll go and finish it.... :wink:
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: HP and the half-blood prince

Post by alhoon »

Jason wrote: On a sidenote, I am rather surprised that some company hasn't created and published some sort of Harry Potter RPG (or I haven't heard of one if they have). With such a large fanbase for the books, I would have thought that there would be been a significant demand for a game where players could be characters at Hogwarts...
Hmm. We should propose this to Wiccy! I'm sure he'll be interested.

On another note there is a card game of Harry Potter, like magic.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:On a sidenote, I am rather surprised that some company hasn't created and published some sort of Harry Potter RPG (or I haven't heard of one if they have).
Over at RPG.net, someone claimed JKR was approached by Wizards of the Coast and she turned them down because, quote, 'RPGs rot kids' brains.'

Of course, after watching some of the fans completely lose their shit because their favorite fanfic relationship wasn't mentioned or was considered unlikely to happen-- see here and here-- I'd think she's thinking that fanfic may rot brains more...
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Brandi wrote:Over at RPG.net, someone claimed JKR was approached by Wizards of the Coast and she turned them down because, quote, 'RPGs rot kids' brains.'
Having seen Rowling's attitudes towards certain things, I am not too surprised by her decision against having a Harry Potter RPG created. However, I would have thought that she would have been more opposed to the different video games if she were concerned about 'rotting kids' brains'...

alhoon wrote:On another note there is a card game of Harry Potter, like magic.
Interesting but not quite the same thing.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Well, checking out those links Brandi provided caused me to be 'spoiled' but I accepted that as an extremely likely consequence of looking at them. I'm still interesting in reading the book and all...

Damn, some HP fans really are messed up in the heads. Wiccy can mow those ones all down with a machine gun and I'll not say anything to the authories about it... I'll even provide him with ammo refills. I can't see that any of their complaints have any merit whatsoever, they all seem to fixated on their own perceptions of what HP and its characters are like; it's Rowling's creation, what she says it the truth about them, not what the Fan(atics) say they want to believe is the truth...

I'm sure every fandom has people like that, unfortuantly.
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Charlatan wrote:Damn, some HP fans really are messed up in the heads. Wiccy can mow those ones all down with a machine gun and I'll not say anything to the authories about it... I'll even provide him with ammo refills.
Y'know, there might still be a few people out there still too senseative about Columbine to tolerate any referance to gun voilence, even in the form of sarcasm or mockery, so let's have Wiccy feed the more obsessive HP 'fans' to Drusilla, instead.
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Lost and Damned
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lost and Damned »

Charlatan wrote:...so let's have Wiccy feed the more obsessive HP 'fans' to Drusilla, instead.
I'm a Harry fan (not Fanatic though) and even I'm disgusted with some of the fans attitudes, as for feeding them to Dru, I think that their blood would make her ill, Damned Fanatics.... :evil:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural...

[url=http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_66&products_id=701&affiliate_id=6326]Support Ravenloft PDF's at Drive Thru RPGs NOW![/url]
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Charlatan: I apologize for not giving spoiler warnings, if they were needed; I think my mistake was linking to the specific threads and not the front page.
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Brandi wrote:Charlatan: I apologize for not giving spoiler warnings, if they were needed; I think my mistake was linking to the specific threads and not the front page.
S'Okay, like I said, I accepted that learning the spoilers was a likely consequence of reading the content of the links. I'm currently reading a copy of the book I borrowed from my aunt's; only on Chapter 5 right now though. Since I now know the 'what' of what happens, it's now a game of 'when'...
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Brandi wrote: Of course, after watching some of the fans completely lose their shit because their favorite fanfic relationship wasn't mentioned or was considered unlikely to happen-- see here and here-- I'd think she's thinking that fanfic may rot brains more...
. . . :shock:

That livejournal one has some of the most insane links I've ever seen. It's like a train wreck: I can't look away, even as my brain begins to melt from the sheer stupidity. Curse you, Brandi! :wink:

EDIT: fixing bad quote tags . . .
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

Brandi wrote: Of course, after watching some of the fans completely lose their shit because their favorite fanfic relationship wasn't mentioned or was considered unlikely to happen-- see here and here-- I'd think she's thinking that fanfic may rot brains more...
I have to agree with Dominique. Wow. I mean...wow. Brain...melting. Make it stop!
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I just checked the 1st link. I won't check the 2nd.

I wonder, what do this people read when they finish HP books? I can't believe that HP can become so entrenced in your thoughts to be an obsession just with reading a book once a year +.
They scream about things I found nice or at least OK, they ignore things I liked etc.

I like HP and I like it a lot. I was screaming happily with my friends when we learned that Half-Blood Prince will be out soon and I waited in anticipation the final days before the release.
So? Does HP occupy my every thought? Hardly. All 6 books IMO are very interesting, funny etc. So I buy them eagerly. I read them, enjoy them and then . . . I talk about them about 1/ month.
How can people become so obsessed? Can someone spend a whole year awaiting for the next book just recicling the info of the previous books?

PS. After Brandi's links, check areal fansite.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Wikipedia entry for folie à deux

I think that the Internet sometimes facilitates the variant known as folie à plusieurs....
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I finished the book. A good read! Not very Ravenloftish of course, but still a very interesting book.

Am I the only one that wishes the inferi played a larger part?
My DMGuild work!