RL Smurfs

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

tec-goblin wrote: Thanks to: Desdichado...
:shock: Now you got me! Thank you! :D Now I feel the need to contribute! When do you want that article to be completed? - I am currently a bit busy with other RL efforts (QtR review and Staunton Bluffs PbP), but I'd like to work on the domain a bit more. I could draw a map for the domain, but I doubt that I would be quick enough to complete it for the next QtR. What do you think?

:)
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Well, I don't know when the next QtR is out. I am going on short vacations now, but I hope that until the end of August we could have a complete article, ready for the last editing by the QtR team.

I would like to write full stats for Gargamel, Azrael, Jokey and Smurfette and short stats and descriptions for about 8 other characters. If you can create a map o the domain, it will rock! I cannot think well of places without maps.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

PLEASE HELP: I want to write Gargamel into the new NPC format presented in DMG II, but I cannot remember where I found a link in WotC website presenting it. Can anyone post me a link on something written in this format?

(You know, the format which starts with "senses")
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Le Noir Faineant

tec-goblin wrote:Well, I don't know when the next QtR is out. I am going on short vacations now, but I hope that until the end of August we could have a complete article, ready for the last editing by the QtR team.

I would like to write full stats for Gargamel, Azrael, Jokey and Smurfette and short stats and descriptions for about 8 other characters. If you can create a map o the domain, it will rock! I cannot think well of places without maps.
As for the map, I am pretty sure I won't manage it before september...
But I'll be on it, be sure! :)
Le Noir Faineant

Best thing would be if you could send me the finished article so I can put my name on it and send it to Dragon Mag... :maligno: errh, so I could look what locations you want to have on the map. I think that's better than to paint a *default dread smurfwood* map. :)
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

As embarrassing as it is to reveal exactly how much of this show I actually remember, I've decided to toss out a few RavenLoft-esque ideas I saw there.

The third to last season of this program began with the introduction of Grampa Smurf who was once Papa Smurf to Papa Smurf. He returns at acrucial time. A magical artifact, the long-life stone, which allows smurfs their long life spans, is in need of renewal. Every thousand years, this stone must be renewed using the four magical elements, earth, air, fire, and water, or the smurfs automaticly age to death. The smurfs, naturally, launch a quest to find these elements at the four corners of the world, even as the magic wains and they begin to age. (Gray hair, creaking bones, failing senses, the works, regardless of relative ages. The young ones do NOT grow up first). Naturally they succeed.

This particular storyline feeds into one far more RavenLoft-ian. Grampa has an old enemy. A once-handsome wizard named Nemesis who also knows of the long-life stone and wished to use it to become immortal. As he tried to force Grampa Smurf, whom he called 'Old Blue', to give up the stone. Grampa managed to counter his spell and Nemesis was changed into 'a hideous creature with horrible hiccups'. Yes, HICCUPS. This particular episode was actually pretty well done. The smurfs would be travelling through the forest and suddenly hear this HIC! HIC! HIC! and know that Nemesis was close by. Nemesis was a badly hunchbacked individual in a purple hooded cloak with glowing red eyes and gnarled fingers like claws. His face was never shown but no smurf could bear to look at him for more than a few seconds.

Finally, the second to last season began with Grampa Smurf setting out to free his own mentor and friend, Nanny Smurf, from a place that appears only once every 500 years. Castle Captor, as her prison was named, was a giant talking moving but fixed edifice that would capture travelers and force them to clean and repair it until they dropped from exhaustion. Travelers approach this place and when they are close enough, huge brick arms reach out and toss them through the front gate. trapping them. Their only possible escape: wait and work 500 years (immortality included with capture) for the castle to appear again and hope to get past the castle many snares to the outside. A very RavenLoft idea, I think. I don't know if you can do anything with those, but I thought I'd share them.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

tec-goblin wrote:I want to write Gargamel into the new NPC format presented in DMG II)
Wow, Gargamel will be back.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

I am back - after some days of vacations, continuing experimentations with music and some bad moments with poetry, I am back to smurfs (I cannot write music 14 hours/day, after all)

Manofevil, you are great! - all these episodes would need a whole gazetteer to be fleshed out, but at least we can include them in short as dread possibilities - or in the history part of the village. Great. If you want, you can always write the history section.

Today I am finishing Jokey and start Gargamel and Azrael - the spells and items sections are almost done
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

For Ravenloft i think it should be infested with Ga-naps, not smurfs- and they should swarm over their victims and consume their flesh -like land based piranha

They should also hail from one of the 'Frenchy' domains
RLCore - A Ravenloft campaign setting for Neverwinter Nights

Athena Virtual Productions, Inc.
www.AtlasEditor.com
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

and the Darklord is . . .

Post by cure »

I see Smurfette as the true and secret Darklord. And if not her, then the cat.

The Dark Powers were attracted to Smurfette by her vanity. And they cursed her to never find a mate to consumate her beauty. Anyone she genuinely falls in love with is in short order devoured by, after suitable play time with, the cat, or perhaps ends his life boiled to death in the soup pot. As her frustration mounts, she manipulates ever more ruthlessly her kind just to fend off the ennui.

Adventurers to the domain would be polymorphed into smurfs by a potion and would be ultimately doomed if they attract the affection of the darklord by, for example, defending her from the cat or rescuing her from the socerer's hovel.

PS The Vistani has some great Smurf recipes. A secret weakness of the Smurfs is that they are incapable of casting curses.

PPS If the cat is the darklord, it is a Midnight cat cursed by the Vistani and incapable of lifting the curse it itself bears. So it has cursed all about it, turning humans into hunted Smurfs and its 'master' into a bumbling idiot incapable of bringing a hunt to its logical conclusion. Needless to say, the cat is bored silly. And it loves to 'play.'
The cure for what ails you
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I don't see Smurfette or the cat as Darklords, Gargamel makes much more sense for me. He is evil, casts spells and most of all he is obsessed to kill the smurfs and he never succeeds! I think he is perfect. :)
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

I liked the idea about Smurfette being a darklord, but having the two major females of the domain (Azrael and Smurfette) as collaborating source of evil is politically incorrect (and I am almost a feminist). It would also mean that I'll have to rewrite much of what I've written so far.

So I'll only keep this part:
Adventurers to the domain would be polymorphed into smurfs by a potion.
PS The Vistani has some great Smurf recipes. A secret weakness of the Smurfs is that they are incapable of casting curses.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Bloody Morgan
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Bloody Morgan »

tec-goblin wrote:I liked the idea about Smurfette being a darklord, but having the two major females of the domain (Azrael and Smurfette) as collaborating source of evil is politically incorrect (and I am almost a feminist). It would also mean that I'll have to rewrite much of what I've written so far.
:blinks:

What? What the hell logic leads to that result? If it makes sense that both female characters would collaborate on a plan, then for hell's sake have them do it! There's plenty of domains out there which revolve around a group of men working evil together, and relatively few which focus on women doing the same. If you're in any way a feminist then you'll recognise that it is far more politically incorrect to say that they can't work together because they're both female.

Seriously, I've been enjoying what I've been reading up to now - a lot of good ideas have been put forward on this. If you don't want to use it because it would contradict a lot of stuff then that's fine, but don't mess it up now for no good reason.

Bloody Morgan
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Bloody Morgan wrote: Seriously, I've been enjoying what I've been reading up to now - a lot of good ideas have been put forward on this. If you don't want to use it because it would contradict a lot of stuff then that's fine, but don't mess it up now for no good reason.
It's not the collaborating part... it's the evil part. it's the fact that if we do such a thing we have a classic "Eva is bad" scenario, where all female (ok, not Sasette, but only I am counting Sasette as an important character) characters are evil. There is no place in Ravenloft with a population of 103 persons: 101 females deceived by 2 males.

Anyway, here's the last update:

Authors: tec-goblin
Editors: tec-goblin
Thanks to: Cure, Desdichado, Manofevil, Rikochet

Out of the Blue 1
History 1
Smurfs in General 2
Appearance 2
Language 2
Lifestyle & Education 2
The Smurf Hero 2
The Forest 4
DM’s Appendix 4
Involving the Players 4
New Equipment 4
New Spells 4
Who’s Smurfed 5
Papa Smurf 5
Jokey 6
Gargamel & Azrael 8

[to be supplied – I need some help here – I don’t remember details]
[by Manofevil to be edited->]The third to last season of this program began with the introduction of Grampa Smurf who was once Papa Smurf to Papa Smurf. He returns at acrucial time. A magical artifact, the long-life stone, which allows smurfs their long life spans, is in need of renewal. Every thousand years, this stone must be renewed using the four magical elements, earth, air, fire, and water, or the smurfs automaticly age to death. The smurfs, naturally, launch a quest to find these elements at the four corners of the world, even as the magic wains and they begin to age. (Gray hair, creaking bones, failing senses, the works, regardless of relative ages. The young ones do NOT grow up first). Naturally they succeed.

This particular storyline feeds into one far more RavenLoft-ian. Grampa has an old enemy. A once-handsome wizard named Nemesis who also knows of the long-life stone and wished to use it to become immortal. As he tried to force Grampa Smurf, whom he called 'Old Blue', to give up the stone. Grampa managed to counter his spell and Nemesis was changed into 'a hideous creature with horrible hiccups'. Yes, HICCUPS. This particular episode was actually pretty well done. The smurfs would be travelling through the forest and suddenly hear this HIC! HIC! HIC! and know that Nemesis was close by. Nemesis was a badly hunchbacked individual in a purple hooded cloak with glowing red eyes and gnarled fingers like claws. His face was never shown but no smurf could bear to look at him for more than a few seconds.

Finally, the second to last season began with Grampa Smurf setting out to free his own mentor and friend, Nanny Smurf, from a place that appears only once every 500 years. Castle Captor, as her prison was named, was a giant talking moving but fixed edifice that would capture travelers and force them to clean and repair it until they dropped from exhaustion. Travelers approach this place and when they are close enough, huge brick arms reach out and toss them through the front gate. trapping them. Their only possible escape: wait and work 500 years (immortality included with capture) for the castle to appear again and hope to get past the castle many snares to the outside. A very RavenLoft idea, I think. I don't know if you can do anything with those, but I thought I'd share them.

[part skipped]

New Equipment
Jokey’s Hillarious Bomb: This usually comes in a yellow gift box with red ribbon. Intended as a harmless prank, this bomb hides in it many advanced tricks. For start, when opened, a mechanism triggers an explosion, which deals 1d2 subdual damage, makes anyone in the same square grey from the ashes and forces a Fortitude save (DC 11) on anyone occupying the same square as the bomb. On a failed result, the victim is stunned for 1 round.
The real mean part of it, though, is that the gift box is irresistible! Anyone in 30 ft who is seeing the box is subject to a suggestion to open it (DC 13) (thus, triggering its mechanism), believing that THIS time, it will be a real gift.
Faint enchantment; CL 3th; Craft Wondrous Item, suggestion; Price 75 gp; Weight at least * (0.1 lb).
New Spells
Smurf to Gold
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Medium (40 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One Smurf
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
The subject, along with all its carried gear, turns into a mindless, inert gold statue. If the statue resulting from this spell is broken, damaged or meld, the subject (if ever returned to its original state) has similar damage or deformities (well, a meld subject is just plainly dead). Unless meld, the creature is not dead, but it does not seem to be alive either when viewed with spells such as deathwatch.
The average Smurf turns to 40 lbs of gold, which usually sells for 800 gp.
This spell forces a power check, in addition to the power check for murdering the Smurf (counts as a brutal murder).
Material Component: A living Smurf which you boil alive in a cauldron.
Arcane Focus: A black cauldron.
Who’s Smurfed
Statistics below are in d20 modern, but there is some use of Ravenloft and d20 3.5 feats and spells.
Papa Smurf
Male Smurf Smart Hero 1/Charismatic Hero 2/Occultist 4: CR 7; SZ D(humanoid); HD 7d6; hp 24; Mas 11; Init +1; Spd 20ft; Defense 17, touch 17, flat-footed 16; Base Atk +3; Grapple -14; Atk +2 dagger melee (1; 19-20/x2) or +8 dagger ranged (1; 19-20/x2); SQ arcane research coordinate, linguist, shadow contact, SR 9; AL law, Smurfs; SV Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +7; AP 3; Rep+6; Str 1, Dex 12, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 16
Skills and Feats: Bluff +9, Craft (pharmaceutical) +7, Diplomacy +13, Decipher Script +10, Intimidate +7, Knowledge (arcane lore) +12, Knowledge (history) +8, Knowledge (earth and life sciences) +5, Perform (dance) +5, Perform (oratory) +7, Perform (singing) +5, Read/Write Language (Common, Draconic, Elven, Smurf, Sylvan), Research +10, Search +3, Sense Motive +9, Speak Language (Common, Draconic, Elven, Smurf, Sylvan), Use Magic Device +10; Alertness, Brew Potion, Dodge, Leadership, Redhead (detect magic, cure minor wounds), Skill Focus* (Sense Motive);
Scrolls (5/2): 1-level: charm person, comprehend languages, expeditious retreat x2, mage armor; 2-level: hypnotic pattern, knock
Papa Smurf uses his Wealth +12 to find scrolls and brew potions.
*Skill focus appears in standard d20 and not in d20 modern.

Inky, shadow contact (dread companion) – unique shadow dire squirrel, small animal; CR 2; HD 2d8; hp 9; Mas 10; Init +5; Spd 45 ft., climb 45 ft.; AC 17, touch 16, flat-footed 12; Base Atk +1; Grapple -3; Atk bite +6 melee(d4); SA cause fear 1/day (DC 11); SQ cold resistance 7, darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, scent, shadow blend; AL law, evil; SV Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0; Str 10, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills and Feats: Balance +9, Bluff +5, Climb +8, Diplomacy +2, Jump +4, Hide +11, Move Silently +13, Speak Language (Sylvan); Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
Dire squirrels have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump and Move Silently checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. A dire squirrel can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

This Smurf stands out among the general silliness and happiness. Dressed in red and bearing a white beard, this Smurf seems to be the leader of this village. A genuine smile lightens his serious face.

History
No one can imagine the Smurf village without Papa Smurf. Except from Gargamel (who dreams of an empty Smurf village) and, sometimes, Brainy (he has planned a coup at least once).
Papa Smurf is the beacon of wisdom the village needs. Having many times the experience of the average Smurf, and using his vast library and contacts, he knows a way out of each trouble. This situation has been a reality for over 100 years.
What happened, though, before that time? Is Papa Smurf a lone survivor of a previous generation of Smurfs? And if that’s true, what could lead to the extinction of the rest of his line? Or aren’t they really dead? Could they be hiding in the forests of the Core or the islands among the mists? Papa Smurf remains silent on the secrets of his past, which haven’t any real meaning anyway, because they are deep into the Smurf Village’s false history.

Current Sketch
Life is peaceful in the Smurf village. The occasional adventure just ensures that Smurfs believe in the ability of Papa to smurf them out of trouble. Papa Smurf is happy with the way things work, with only a few exceptions, like the fact that sometimes it’s tiring to guide Jokey out of actions that could compromise the belief in the current order of things.
The only new thing in Papa Smurf’s life is his shadow contact, Inky. Inky has already proven that he can learn things and can do small favors no Smurf could handle. He can do the dirty work every leader needs (find a magic ingredient in an unconventional or unsmurfish way). The only problem, though, is that Inky knows he is needed and is quite a good bargainer, always trying to advance his agenda – which involves Papa Smurf smurfing darker measures to increase his power, while increasing Gargamel’s power too – which would smurf up the dependency of Smurfs’ survival on Papa.

Combat
Papa Smurf uses his coordinating skills to lead other Smurfs. His shadow advisor helps him evade catastrophic events. In case of dire emergency, he might use his scrolls to distract his enemies or help Smurfs smurf out from a dangerous situation.

Lair
Papa Smurf’s home is dominated by a large cauldron on a hearthfire. There are shelves everywhere containing various alchemical concoctions, arcane books and magic ingredients used for his potions. There is no security against stealing all these books – Papa Smurf thinks that the consequences on the rare Smurf using his books without his permission are dire enough to prevent most of them from trying such a thing. It’s not that he will punish the Smurf. It’s the fact that all his receipts and spells are intentionally written in a way which will confuse most Smurfs: they don’t contain the verb “smurf”, nor any smurfy adjectives.

Jokey
Male Smurf Smart Hero 1/Charismatic Hero 2: CR 3; SZ D(humanoid); HD 3d6; hp 10; Mas 11; Init +3; Spd 20ft; Defense 18, touch 18, flat-footed 15; Base Atk +1; Grapple -15; Atk +1 unarmed melee (1); SA suggestion 1/week (from path of corruption 1); SQ charm (males), red ribbon diet (from path of corruption 1) savant: craft (chemical); AL chaos, jokes, Smurfs; SV Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +4; AP 2; Rep+3; Str 2, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 16
Occupation: Creative (class skills: Forgery, Perform (dance, stand up))
Skills and Feats: Bluff +11*, Craft (chemical) +7, Demolitions +5, Diplomacy +10*, Forgery +3, Hide +19, Knowledge (behavioural sciences) +7, Move Silently +7, Perform (dance) +5*, Perform (singing) +5*, Perform (stand-up) +8*, Read/Write Language (Common, Smurf, Sylvan), Repair +4, Sense Motive +4, Speak Language (Common, Elven, Smurf, Sylvan), Stealthy; Iron Will, Run;
Jokey uses his Wealth +7 to creative explosives, including Jokey’s Hillarious Bombs .
*+2 against males. Jokey is used to make pranks against other Smurfs, but he hasn’t much experience in women (there is only one in the village after all).

Oh, who’s this lovely Smurf smurfing you a great smurf in a yellow box? He must be a formidable character indeed. You too eager to open the box…
BANG!

History
Jokey’s past seems a straight line of adventures, jokes and prank-made mayhem. There are secrets, though, no Smurf would expect: secrets regarding the events around his first creation of his signature bombs…
Jokey, as a smurfling smurfed, around with the other smurflings, making fun of Papa Smurf – Jokey was the only stain in Papa’s image of seriousness and knowledge. This went one step too far, when Jokey put a small bug in Papa’s pants, making him jumping around and screaming in a smurfishly funny way.
This was Jokey’s biggest exploit and he was thrilled by the experience. He wanted to test his limits. Then, all of a sudden, he fell on one of Papa’s books, full of receipts for dangerous explosive solutions – wow, that would make a great show!
Jokey never stopped to think of the reason he found that book so easily – maybe our canny reader will be thinking of complicated plots and paranoid scenarios. The result was him smurfing his first bomb – a bomb he was too eager to test, despite the dangers involved.
And so he did – in one of his lone expeditions to the forest (he was old enough to get away with some sneaking outside of the village), he found a passing knight and gave him the first of the yellow boxes ever created by his hands. The knight thought it was some kind of magical fey gift and opened it…
Oh! That was a surprisingly huge explosion by Smurfish standards. Even a human knight couldn’t stand it without harm. That’s what Jokey thought – and, still blinded and deafened by the burst, he ran off to the village, leaving the injured knight alone in the forest – only the Mists know what happened to the Knight – because the Mists saw everything. And they were intrigued…
Jokey found himself being able to create bombs that could almost convince someone to open them. That was a frightening gift, he thought… He could injure more people with this – and he didn’t want such a thing. That’s why he smurfed on researching harmless bombs – Jokey’s Hillarious Bombs.

Current Sketch
The past is very far away… Jokey has been more careful since. The only thing that reminds him his past error is a nasty little habit he has – when alone, he has to eat one red ribbon each day or suffer from nausea for the rest of the day. No other Smurf has shown any sign of knowing his little secret.
And life goes on – Jokey is still messing around with other Smurfs – one of the best moments of his career was the resistance against the short period of Brainy’s dictatorship (it happened when Papa was away – smurf the relevant episode), when Brainy called him “anarchic” and ordered the rest of the Smurfs to hunt him. Sometimes he feels alone, though. Is he the only Smurf bored under Papa’s rule?

Combat
Jokey is not a combatant, but he can be very dangerous in the rare case he gets really annoyed with someone. A Smurf that can smurf into your home, deceive you and plant explosives that can stun you or even damage you (that’s very rare practice for Jokey) is a formidable foe indeed.
In straight combat, Jokey usually distracts the enemy to gain time for other Smurfs and then tries to hide.

Lair
Jokey’s home is full of ribbons, yellow cardboxes and all the materials needed for his bombs. He usually keeps one of his signature bombs around and can also create simple normal explosives (due to the limited PL of the smurf village, halve the damage of all explosives created by Jokey). Jokey usually traps the windows and the door in various harmless but smurfishly inconvenient and humiliating ways.

Gargamel & Azrael
Gargamel, Darklord of the Smurf Forest CR 6
Male human Dedicated Hero 1/Smart Hero 2/Occultist 3
Medium humanoid
Init +0; Senses Listen +3, Spot +3
Languages Common, Draconic, Elven, Smurf
Allegiances Evil, Gold

Defense 14, touch 14, flat-footed 13
hp 46 (6 HD); Massive 18
Resist SR 8, You ‘ll never kill me
Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +4

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee unarmed +4 (1d6+1)
Base Atk +2; Grp +7
Atk Options Improved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike, Scrolls
Special Incompetence against Smurfs, Smurf to Gold /will
Action Points 3

Abilities Str 12, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 11, Wis 9, Cha 12
Feats AlertnessB, BrawlB, Improved Grapple, Impoved Unarmed Strike, StudiousB, Track
Skills Bluff +4, Decipher Script +6, Forgery +5, Handle Animal +3, Hide +5, Knowledge (arcane lore) +9, Move Silently +5, Research +6, Survival +3, Use Magic Device +5
Occupation criminal: class skills (forgery, hide, move silently)
Special Qualities arcane research (scrolls), savant (decipher script), skill emphasis (bluff)
Wealth +6
Scrolls: 4 1st level: disguise self, grease, sleep, silent image

Hook "I will catch you damned Smurfs."

Azrael – mistreated cat CR 2
Female cat Fast Hero 2
Tiny magical beast
Init +2; Senses Listen +4, Spot +4, Low-light vision, Scent
Languages Common, Smurf
Allegiances Gargamel

Defense 19, touch 19, flat-footed 16
hp 9 (2 HD); Massive 10
Resist Evasion
Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +1

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Attack Melee claw +6 (1d2-4)
Full Attack Melee 2 claws +6 (1d2-4) and
Melee bite +1 (1d3-4)
Base Atk +1; Grp -7
Action Points 1

Abilities Str 3, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 9
Feats Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Skills Balance +11, Climb +7, Escape Artist +5, Intimidate +1, Hide +15*, Jump +11, Move Silently +8, Swim -2, Tumble +5

Hook "Niaaarrr."
*In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8, for a total of +19.

Who smurfs this sinister laughter? Who is this balding guy dressed in black rags and red shoes? Where has his fashion-sense gone? And why is bowing as if his back wasn’t crooked enough? Oh… this ugly guy is hiding to ambush little Smurfs. As if his problems weren’t enough…

History
Gargamel’s past is unknown to all but a few secretive scholars. Had S visited the Smurf village, she would have probably been able to probe his mind for details, but her Master never had Smurfs high in his list of priorities.
The truth is that Gargamel was an alchemist. A very dedicated one indeed – his goal was the pinnacle of an alchemist’s dreams: metastoiheiwsis – turning some material to something other. Actually, it was more blunt than this. Gargamel wanted to create gold. Much gold. He want to get rich and he wanted it now, but he was too much of a coward to do it in a more straightforward way (stealing for example – it wasn’t that his morals were above this – he was just a coward).
Gargamel tried various materials: lead, iron, wood. All this was for nothing. Until he heard some young physicist in his home town telling him one thing: “You cannot create value from nothing, mon ami. That’s why you’ll never succeed. You cannot change things as simple as lead to the most-perfect-of-metals, gold. The only thing that’s more valuable than gold is life. So stop this nonsense”.
Of course Gargamel did not. He had just found his answer! Life! He would turn living things to gold! He started with small lizards, then birds, then cats… all for naught. This wasn’t enough he though. Who sells a lizard for gold? Only human people are sold for gold… Here Gargamel starting hesitating. But no, it was a noble purpose after all! He would find a sick person who was ready to die. Yeah, he would cover him with blue ink to make his condition seem even more severe and convince his family that he should take him to his home to try to save him. That was the best plan he’d ever thought.
And so he did. He found the sick man. He bluffed him out of his home. And then, as he was ready to begin his experiments, mists settled into his home. He found himself into a tower away from all civilization. Only his lab and his miserable cat were with him. The worst part: the only thing that was really complicatedly alive there were some… nasty blue funny things, who called themselves Smurfs…
Current Sketch
Gargamel has turned old trying to catch the Smurfs and turn them to gold. And he feels very very tired. Sometimes he thinks of giving up, stopping this – after all he ends up ridiculed each time. Even his only companion, this strangely intelligent cat-who-just-refuses-to-age gets into his nerves.
But then, he sleeps and the dreams come… Dreams of gold and all the joys gold can buy. And whispers reminding him the words and incantations to turn a smurf to gold…
Combat
Gargamel isn’t particularly courageous, but he will enter combat if hunting this only-good-for-gold-blue-pest. He will use his scrolls and canning plans to gain a strategic advantage and then he will try to grapple Smurfs and put them into his bag to boil them later.
Incompetence against Smurfs (Su): Gargamel suffers -2 penalty in all his rolls against Smurfs. Smufs get a +2 bonus to saves against scrolls, spells and special abilities used by Gargamel. This is a result of his curse as a darklord, so it cannot be negated with an antimagic field or anything similar.
Smurf to gold (Sp): Gargamel can cast the spell Smurf to Gold (see the New Spells section) at will, at a caster level equal to his occultist level. Doing so consumes the normal casting time and spell components as the spell.
You’ll never kill me (Su): Smurfs are too goody-goody to harm Gargamel permanently. Any Smurf performing an action that could directly kill Gargamel (for example any Smurf performing a coup de grace against him) stops in its tracks and doesn’t do it. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect.

Lair
We’ve all seen this dilapidated tower at least once in their lives. If you are Smurf chances is that you’d be captured at least once in your life in Gargamel’s lab (or is it a kitchen?). You’ll recognize the orthogonal single-floor building with a narrow good-for-nothing tower, the big (big enough to accommodate for all 101+ smurfs) dirty cauldron and the fact that it’s full of cat hair.

Closing the Borders
Gargamel isn’t interested in keeping anyone near him – he is not a very social person. Of course, he doesn’t want Smurfs to escape his clutch either. That’s why he keeps his borders usually closed, but only regarding to Smurfs. Any Smurf trying to escape the domain finds itself overcome by an irresistible nostalgia for its village and turns back trying to return to the Smurf Village for 1 full hour. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect.

If anyone's interested in the .doc, please tell me.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Bloody Morgan
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Bloody Morgan »

tec-goblin wrote:It's not the collaborating part... it's the evil part. it's the fact that if we do such a thing we have a classic "Eva is bad" scenario, where all female (ok, not Sasette, but only I am counting Sasette as an important character) characters are evil. There is no place in Ravenloft with a population of 103 persons: 101 females deceived by 2 males.
But what that boils down to is; they can't be evil because there's only two of them. So what that it's a domain in which all the females are evil? That's still less sexist then saying that they can't be evil because there's only two of them. Hell, no matter what you do with them, it's a domain where only 2% of the population is female. Only 1% is the same species as the rest of the population. They are going to be so far skewed from "normal" that's not funny. If someone had written a domain with a 50/50 gender split and made all of one side evil, then I would agree that it is improbable. But that's not what was suggested. No matter what you do with Smurfette, she's going to be different from everyone else in the domain. Same deal with Azrael. Whether that difference be overwhelming good or evil makes no odds. You've committed to an improbable setting, so go with it.

That said, nice writeup.