RL Smurfs

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:) Nice work, tec! I'll be abroad for the next few weeks, but after my return, I can draw a map for the domain, if you're still interested. Send me the article, when you think there's nothing more to add, please, then I'll instantly start working on the map. :)

Rafael
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Azrael was female?

Learn something new every day...
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Okay tg, I've read your write-up and you're on the right track but I'll toss in some things I remember and you can include them or not.
tec-goblin wrote:History
Jokey’s past seems a straight line of adventures, jokes and prank-made mayhem. There are secrets, though, no Smurf would expect: secrets regarding the events around his first creation of his signature bombs…
Jokey, as a smurfling smurfed, around with the other smurflings, making fun of Papa Smurf – Jokey was the only stain in Papa’s image of seriousness and knowledge. This went one step too far, when Jokey put a small bug in Papa’s pants, making him jumping around and screaming in a smurfishly funny way.
This was Jokey’s biggest exploit and he was thrilled by the experience. He wanted to test his limits. Then, all of a sudden, he fell on one of Papa’s books, full of receipts for dangerous explosive solutions – wow, that would make a great show!.
You're close here, but the book in question was , in fact, a completely foreign book called simply 'The Big Book of Laughs', which was a lexicon of mean but harmless pranks. Jokey hid it away when Papa threatened to take it from him. Whenever Jokey or the other smurfs get bored with his joke boxes, he need only open the Big Book of Laughs for something new and entirely different. Sadly whenever he does this, circumstances conspire to make these pranks far more disruptive to everything than would be expected by so simple a prank. So Jokey dips into this tome very rarely either out of deference to his fellow smurfs or to use fresh material sparingly.
tec-goblin wrote: Jokey never stopped to think of the reason he found that book so easily – maybe our canny reader will be thinking of complicated plots and paranoid scenarios. The result was him smurfing his first bomb – a bomb he was too eager to test, despite the dangers involved.
And so he did – in one of his lone expeditions to the forest (he was old enough to get away with some sneaking outside of the village), he found a passing knight and gave him the first of the yellow boxes ever created by his hands. The knight thought it was some kind of magical fey gift and opened it…
Oh! That was a surprisingly huge explosion by Smurfish standards. Even a human knight couldn’t stand it without harm. That’s what Jokey thought – and, still blinded and deafened by the burst, he ran off to the village, leaving the injured knight alone in the forest – only the Mists know what happened to the Knight – because the Mists saw everything. And they were intrigued…
Jokey found himself being able to create bombs that could almost convince someone to open them. That was a frightening gift, he thought… He could injure more people with this – and he didn’t want such a thing. That’s why he smurfed on researching harmless bombs – Jokey’s Hillarious Bombs.

Current Sketch
The past is very far away… Jokey has been more careful since. The only thing that reminds him his past error is a nasty little habit he has – when alone, he has to eat one red ribbon each day or suffer from nausea for the rest of the day. No other Smurf has shown any sign of knowing his little secret.
And life goes on – Jokey is still messing around with other Smurfs – one of the best moments of his career was the resistance against the short period of Brainy’s dictatorship (it happened when Papa was away – smurf the relevant episode), when Brainy called him “anarchic” and ordered the rest of the Smurfs to hunt him. Sometimes he feels alone, though. Is he the only Smurf bored under Papa’s rule?

Combat
Jokey is not a combatant, but he can be very dangerous in the rare case he gets really annoyed with someone. A Smurf that can smurf into your home, deceive you and plant explosives that can stun you or even damage you (that’s very rare practice for Jokey) is a formidable foe indeed.
In straight combat, Jokey usually distracts the enemy to gain time for other Smurfs and then tries to hide.

Lair
Jokey’s home is full of ribbons, yellow cardboxes and all the materials needed for his bombs. He usually keeps one of his signature bombs around and can also create simple normal explosives (due to the limited PL of the smurf village, halve the damage of all explosives created by Jokey). Jokey usually traps the windows and the door in various harmless but smurfishly inconvenient and humiliating ways.

Gargamel & Azrael
History
Gargamel’s past is unknown to all but a few secretive scholars. Had S visited the Smurf village, she would have probably been able to probe his mind for details, but her Master never had Smurfs high in his list of priorities.
The truth is that Gargamel was an alchemist. A very dedicated one indeed – his goal was the pinnacle of an alchemist’s dreams: metastoiheiwsis – turning some material to something other. Actually, it was more blunt than this. Gargamel wanted to create gold. Much gold. He want to get rich and he wanted it now, but he was too much of a coward to do it in a more straightforward way (stealing for example – it wasn’t that his morals were above this – he was just a coward).
Gargamel tried various materials: lead, iron, wood. All this was for nothing. Until he heard some young physicist in his home town telling him one thing: “You cannot create value from nothing, mon ami. That’s why you’ll never succeed. You cannot change things as simple as lead to the most-perfect-of-metals, gold. The only thing that’s more valuable than gold is life. So stop this nonsense”.
Of course Gargamel did not. He had just found his answer! Life! He would turn living things to gold! He started with small lizards, then birds, then cats… all for naught. This wasn’t enough he though. Who sells a lizard for gold? Only human people are sold for gold… Here Gargamel starting hesitating. But no, it was a noble purpose after all! He would find a sick person who was ready to die. Yeah, he would cover him with blue ink to make his condition seem even more severe and convince his family that he should take him to his home to try to save him. That was the best plan he’d ever thought.
And so he did. He found the sick man. He bluffed him out of his home. And then, as he was ready to begin his experiments, mists settled into his home. He found himself into a tower away from all civilization. Only his lab and his miserable cat were with him. The worst part: the only thing that was really complicatedly alive there were some… nasty blue funny things, who called themselves Smurfs….
Here's what I remember from the show:
In a certain time-travel episode, it was shown that Gargamel's mother when he was a baby, would commonly tell him that she'd take care of him and that when he grew up, he'd become a rich and powerful wizard who would take as good care of his mother. She never did forgive him for failing wizard school. Gargamel, apparently came from a family of wizards which included two shrewish sisters and a very formidable godfather, Balthazar. He was sent to a very fine wizards school where he became legendary for his poor abilities. In the lab, he was a menace to himself, his classmates, and his professors. Every instructor dreaded him because his presence in their classrooms was not just disruptive, but dangerous. His classmates detested him not just for his incompetance, but for his family background. They resented the fact that his family had handed him a place in the school where most of them had to earn theirs, especially given his inabilities. His only friend was a little kitten named Azrael. The final blow to his academic career was, coincidentally, his first encounter withe the smurfs. In his final year, Gargamel was told that the only chance he had to graduate was to come up with a truly spectacular senior project. Gargamel was wandering around outside the school grounds when he quite literally tripped over a smurf. He managed to catch the smurf with only his hand and then looked at it carefully. He finally recognized it as a smurf, the mythical ingredient to the formula to change lead into gold. (he'd gotten it wrong on a test the year before) Realizing he had the necessary project to save his academic career and place in the family, he immediately raced back toward the school. He didn't get two feet before Papa Smurf, who was nearby, stopped him (I can't remember how) and made him release the smurf. "I'm sorry but I couldn't let you turn my little smurf into gold!" Papa said in his typical way. I can't remeber any of the following conflict except for the ending which had the smurfs running away and Gargamel behind them shaking his fist and cursing them, for the first time of many in his life, for ruining his life. Apparantly, he forgot about the formula until much later and was reminded of it when he went to his Godfather Balthazar for advice on catching smurfs and was reminded of it. Balthazar, who scoffed at smurfs as mythical, let slip that he had a book with a formula to turn lead into gold by boiling six smurfs. Gargamel stole the book and gained with it his continuing ambition to turn smurfs into gold.
tec-goblin wrote: Current Sketch
Gargamel has turned old trying to catch the Smurfs and turn them to gold. And he feels very very tired. Sometimes he thinks of giving up, stopping this – after all he ends up ridiculed each time. Even his only companion, this strangely intelligent cat-who-just-refuses-to-age gets into his nerves.
But then, he sleeps and the dreams come… Dreams of gold and all the joys gold can buy. And whispers reminding him the words and incantations to turn a smurf to gold…
Combat
Gargamel isn’t particularly courageous, but he will enter combat if hunting this only-good-for-gold-blue-pest. He will use his scrolls and canning plans to gain a strategic advantage and then he will try to grapple Smurfs and put them into his bag to boil them later.
Incompetence against Smurfs (Su): Gargamel suffers -2 penalty in all his rolls against Smurfs. Smufs get a +2 bonus to saves against scrolls, spells and special abilities used by Gargamel. This is a result of his curse as a darklord, so it cannot be negated with an antimagic field or anything similar.
Smurf to gold (Sp): Gargamel can cast the spell Smurf to Gold (see the New Spells section) at will, at a caster level equal to his occultist level. Doing so consumes the normal casting time and spell components as the spell.
You’ll never kill me (Su): Smurfs are too goody-goody to harm Gargamel permanently. Any Smurf performing an action that could directly kill Gargamel (for example any Smurf performing a coup de grace against him) stops in its tracks and doesn’t do it. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect.

Lair
We’ve all seen this dilapidated tower at least once in their lives. If you are Smurf chances is that you’d be captured at least once in your life in Gargamel’s lab (or is it a kitchen?). You’ll recognize the orthogonal single-floor building with a narrow good-for-nothing tower, the big (big enough to accommodate for all 101+ smurfs) dirty cauldron and the fact that it’s full of cat hair.

Closing the Borders
Gargamel isn’t interested in keeping anyone near him – he is not a very social person. Of course, he doesn’t want Smurfs to escape his clutch either. That’s why he keeps his borders usually closed, but only regarding to Smurfs. Any Smurf trying to escape the domain finds itself overcome by an irresistible nostalgia for its village and turns back trying to return to the Smurf Village for 1 full hour. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect.

If anyone's interested in the .doc, please tell me.
Well, That's all I can add.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Bloody Morgan wrote: But what that boils down to is; they can't be evil because there's only two of them. So what that it's a domain in which all the females are evil? That's still less sexist then saying that they can't be evil because there's only two of them.
Anyway... I don't like it. It still appears sexist for me to have these 2 as evil. Azrael is lovely... Anyway
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Brandi wrote:Azrael was female?

Learn something new every day...
Yes, it depends on the translation and country. Here in Greece she had clearly a female voice.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Manofevil wrote: You're close here, but the book in question was , in fact, a completely foreign book called simply 'The Big Book of Laughs', which was a lexicon of mean but harmless pranks. Jokey hid it away when Papa threatened to take it from him. Whenever Jokey or the other smurfs get bored with his joke boxes, he need only open the Big Book of Laughs for something new and entirely different. Sadly whenever he does this, circumstances conspire to make these pranks far more disruptive to everything than would be expected by so simple a prank. So Jokey dips into this tome very rarely either out of deference to his fellow smurfs or to use fresh material sparingly.
Wow! I didn't know there was a real episode parallel. I was just trying to explain how the hell can Jokey cast suggestion. :) - I'll try to merge these two stories. "The Big Book of Laughs" is a very very funny title!

Thank you very much.

Regarding Gargamel's story, I'll keep half of the original story (in order to make it compatible with the idea that Mists created Smurfs and there was no land with Smurfs before of the creation of the domain). The details about his family and the experiences in the wizard school are very useful, though.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

I'm pretty sure Azrael is a male cat. In fact, smurf.com refers to him as such.

It seems nobody so far has mentioned Gargamel's most prized and secret possession: the intelligent, talking magic tome Gargamel keeps in a secret cellar. I think the book appeared only in the cartoon series, but each time Gargamel tried to use it made for a very memorable episode. As far as I remember, the book is very powerful, and can manifest pretty much any magical effect at its creator's demand, but only for a single day each month, from sunrise to sundawn. I don't believe it was explained how a wimp like Gargamel came to possess such a potent item, but Gargamel's comments on it hint that he had gone through a lot of trouble to secure it.

The use of the book came with only two painful downsides. Firstly, the book was notoriously vain and egotistical, and demanded to be treated with lordly respect. Before it would accept to use its powers, it would make the beseecher plead with it, and willingly execute humiliating actions for the book's amusement - which Gargamel especially recented. The second downside is, of course, that the book isn't above perverting the plea ever so slightly, ensuring that its gifts always came complete with a nasty surprise for its master. I remember episodes where Gargamel asked the book for a magical water creature to help him in his smurf hunt, or to create a smurf-sized amusement park that would trap all the smurfs who'd try its delights - and each time, Gargamel's plan somehow backfired into his face. I think Gargamel eventually figured out the book does nothing but play with him, and quit resorting to its powers. One late episode, however, has Gargamel's young apprentice (don't know how he's called in English) accidentally stumbling upon the secret cellar during the fated day, and asking the book for a magical wand of tremendrous power. Of course, being so power-hungry and irresponsible, the apprentice ends up unleashing a magical calamity on the smurf forest, dooming himself in the process. Only a timely intervention from Mother Nature saves the forest and the smurfs from certain doom.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I, too, remember this book. I'd thought about mentioning it but couldn't remember everything that needed to be said about it. I even remember the incantation Gargamel had to speak to awaken the book:
O great book of Spells
On whose pages dwell
Secrets no one tells
Awake! For Gargamel!

He could call on this book from sunup to sundown on the last day of the final phase of the full moon. Gargamel's apprentice was also one I was thinking of mentioning. His name is Scruple. He was sent to apprentice to Gargamel by the same school which had been Gargamel's alma matar when he was recognized as menace in the lab equal to or greater than Gargamel had been. The incantation Scruple used to activate the book was:
Hear me well
O Book of Spells
My Name is Scruple
Teach me all you have to tell
I want to be your pupil.

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Igor the Henchman wrote:I'm pretty sure Azrael is a male cat. In fact, smurf.com refers to him as such.
I haven't found a reference to his/her sexe. Do you have an exact link?

The info on the book are great - thank you - the project goes on very well and in schedule. I will soon have finished with most NPCs, stats and all the appendix.

I still need help with the history, and, particularly, the forest section. Anything you remember about the forest will be great! I have to write this section in less than 3 weeks, in order to give it to Desichardo when he returns to draw a map.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Azrael's paragraph on http://www.smurf.com/infos/who/qui5.html refers to him as a "he".

The only thing I remember about the forest is the Great Oak, by which the smurfs especially liked to walk and play. Gargamel used the spot a lot as a setting for his smurf-traps. Near the forest lies the home of Homnibus, the mage, a big friend to Papa Smurf. Otherwise, I seem to remember a river, and a beach coastline nearby, where the smurfs go swimming en masse during hot summer days.[/url]
CorvusCornix
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by CorvusCornix »

At first I thought you can't be serious, Ravenloft-Smurfs??? But I spent quite some time thinking about the scenario, and now I really like it, I believe I'll really run an adventure like this... I thought I would share my ideas with you, some feedback, corrections or suggestions would be great!

First of all, I think the joke would be greatest, if the players don't know from the beginning what they are dealing with. That's why my ideas are undeniably smurfish, but don't have "SMURF" written all over them. I'd try to first drop a number of small hints, and make them larger until the players get it. Nevertheless, there should be a small surprise waiting for them once they have figured this out. That's why in my scenario it isn't Gargamel who is the Darklord...

I imagine a domain of halflings, all of them living deeply hidden in a forest, because they are terrorized by an evil giant and his demonic giant cat familiar. The players would stumble into a forest full of gigantic trees and all of a sudden are attacked by that demon cat (I liked the name Azazil :-)). While running away, they encounter a group of halflings, all of them entirely dressed in white and are told to follow them. They finally lead Azazil into a trap (the typical net or cage falling from a tree), and, while Azazil tries to free himself, the players can finally follow the halflings into their village. Instead of the far too obvious mushrooms, the houses could be camouflaged so that they look like different pieces of flora. Or the illusion of a bush could be placed over the entire village.

To keep this a bit shorter, I'll simply list the main ideas:
- When in the village, the players discover all of them seem to develop some strange habits, like one of them having the urge to always play jokes on the others, another discovering how beautiful he really is...
- Have you ever wondered how come that Papa Smurf always seems to save the day? He is the Darklord, he lusts for power and has managed to produce an artifact that will reverse his aging when powered with a very strong emotion: fear! That's why Papa Smurf has produced a gigantic flesh golem called Gargamort (yup, I liked that name very much as well :-)), whom he uses to terrorize the Halflings. Note that Papa Smurf doesn't want to see them killed, that's why they are always rescued just in time, since this wouldn't help him at all, he needs as many Halflings as possible to produce the fear he needs.
- The Halflings aren't really blue, it's just that eating those strange berries has the side effect of producing some strange illusions...
- Of course, typically some smurfs have been captured by Gargamort and may need to be rescued. This is where the players enter the scene.
- Papa Smurf has some kind of device he needs to control Gargamort, and through him his pet Azazil. The players might find this device after freeing the Halflings, thereby discovering that Gargamort isn't the true evil being...
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

The idea about "Papa behind everything" is something I was toying with. Let's say that in the current text there are many clues which would cause suspicions to a GM against Papa...

I've written all the stats needed. The text now also has Smurf images from www.smurf.com - I left out the genre of Azrael. I've reached 17 pages by now...

What's left?

Adventure hooks (there are many in these pages - I think I can write the chapter as soon as I get time)

The forest (with some help of Igor and some things I remember, I can write some crude descriptions... I hope this will help other people remember more details to incoroporate. Then Desichado will draw a map)

History (mostly false history. I would like to place some dread possibilities here)

Lifestyle & Education (many dread possibilities - I will also write it as soon as a I get some time)

Introductory story (I have some suggestions for start, but my mind is stuck and I cannot go on with a really nice story - I'll post my ideas though)
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Two possible beginnings of the "Out of the Blue" introductory story:

My life is a pain in the smurf… All these idiotic Smurfs around me, singing and dancing. I hate singing. I hate dancing, too. Grmf... It’s too happy for my tastes… Even our leader, Papa Smurf is a…

Alternative:
The necromancer was down. Blood was on his barely moving lips. He tried to say something. Maybe a last wish. Let him have it. I closed up to hear his words:
You, who killed what you cannot know
will find yourselves silly, blue and low
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

WOW
I just clicked through Smurf.com and I have to say, I 'm stunned.
I had no idea the smurfs were that old or that they were first european or that there was so much material about them.
It raises some important question though, tec-goblin
Firstly, are you going to base your material more on the European or AMerican versions or perhaps I should say, on the print or video versions? There are certain key differences. For example, the video combined some characters from the print version, like greedy and cook smurfs and it also expanded the cast a bit more than was obvious on the site. Most notably with Clumsy Smurf.
What's more. If you do intend to base it more on print than video, you may have to supplement your material perhaps in bibliographical form, because while I'm sure the video version of the Smurfs is well known in Europe, (Hanna-Barbara is a multi-national conglomerate and has no problem with circulation) the print version is almost unheard of here in America. I had no idea that Johan and Peewit had been created before the smurfs or that the print versions went all the way back to the 50's. If you're going to base your material on the print version, you may wind up with people trying to correct you based on the video, and that can get confusing. Of course, that also depends on how much material from either source you'll have in your final product. :?

tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Manofevil wrote: Firstly, are you going to base your material more on the European or AMerican versions or perhaps I should say, on the print or video versions? There are certain key differences. For example, the video combined some characters from the print version, like greedy and cook smurfs and it also expanded the cast a bit more than was obvious on the site. Most notably with Clumsy Smurf.
Of course Smurfs are European! :) Well - I have much more experience in the video version (I do own 6 printed stories, but that's not enough). So yes, I don't have seperate greedy and cook. I could include Clumsy Smurf, but I haven't included all notable Smurfs anyway... See the next posts for more info.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.