Demiplanes of Gothic Earth

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Demiplanes of Gothic Earth

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I'm just wondering what demiplanes do people think are connected to the Gothic Earth? If we list what's been mentioned on the Historical characters thread, we've got:

Neverland (Connected through Britain, especially London)
Wonderland (Connected through Britain)
Oz (Connected through the United States, especially Kansas :))

Anyothers?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

A few more-

The nightmare lands (Guide to Transalvania)
The Dreaming (Aborigonal legend)
Oberon's realm (Midsummers Nights Dream)
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

You could also toss in there the Hollow Earth, as presented by Ray Palmer, populated by the vile Derro. This demiplane is inside of the Earth, existing parrallel with the solid mass of the planet. The plane can be reached from a hole in the North Pole.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

I posted an aged and immortal Lemuel Gulliver in the NPC thread.

Maybe the strange islands and places he visted are not really part of our Earth, but minor or lesser demiplanes in their own right?

That would give us:

Lilliput/Blefescu
Brobdignag
The Flying Island of Laputa
Glubbdubdrib

all the others ... that guy went to a lot of places! :lol:
"Here then, at least," I shrieked aloud, "can I never --can I never be mistaken --these are the full, and the black, and the wild eyes --of my lost love --of the lady --of the LADY LIGEIA."

[i]--Edgar Allan Poe[/i], Ligeia
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

How about the Giant's cloud realm from "Jack and the Beanstalk"?
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

The Underworld (through Wales/Ireland)
The Summerlands (through Wales and other unspoiled Celtic sites)
The Underworld/Hades(through Greece)
Valhalla (through Norway/Denmard/Netherlands/Sweden/etc...)

As for Laputa... it can be connected to any point on Gothic Earth, especially Wales if you watch the Hayao Miyazaki movie Laputa - The Flying Castle (AKA - Castle in the Sky)
Swallow your soul!
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Shang-Ri-La (accessible only thru the Himalayas)

Eden (accessible only at one point in Persia [not sure what Iraq was actualy called in the 1890's ... this bears some reasearch], but even if it could be found it cannot be accessed by any mortal creature, as the portal is guarded by two Solars bearing flaming swords, and they only allow Lawful Good outsiders entrance to Eden)
"Here then, at least," I shrieked aloud, "can I never --can I never be mistaken --these are the full, and the black, and the wild eyes --of my lost love --of the lady --of the LADY LIGEIA."

The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I think a lot of these places could be linked as realms in a larger demiplane, like a Plane of Dreams or a Plane of Faerie. I think the Shadow Plane idea from d20 Modern's Urban Arcana might be a good idea.

If you're going to use any sort of Asian influence, I think the Chinese 10 Courts of Hell might be a good one (perhaps with inspiration from Beyond Countless Doorways).

I also think if you didn't have it as a far-away land, you might have a "Lost World" demiplane, with dinosaurs and other extinct beasts as well as legendary lost civilizations, like Atlantis and Mu.

L-space from Discworld might also be an option :lol:
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

The Lesser Evil wrote:I think a lot of these places could be linked as realms in a larger demiplane, like a Plane of Dreams or a Plane of Faerie. I think the Shadow Plane idea from d20 Modern's Urban Arcana might be a good idea.[/i]
Well, along these lines Wonderland, Neverland, and Oz have the same dream-like, innocent, magical quality. They could each be different realms within a faerie or dream demiplane.

Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:The Underworld (through Wales/Ireland)
The Summerlands (through Wales and other unspoiled Celtic sites)
The Underworld/Hades(through Greece)
Valhalla (through Norway/Denmard/Netherlands/Sweden/etc...)

As for Laputa... it can be connected to any point on Gothic Earth, especially Wales if you watch the Hayao Miyazaki movie Laputa - The Flying Castle (AKA - Castle in the Sky)
Alot of these are actually the on the Outer Planes, and GE's connection toe the Outer (and Inner) planes has been severed, unless things are coming to GE.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

And more with Neverland, Wonderland, and Oz, if you're going to use them they should all be now in some way tainted by darkness ... if for no other reason than to make them a little more serious and adult in keeping with the theme of the setting.

They should be perhaps more than a little warped, ala the "Alice" videogame: The same settings with the same characters, just somehow more sinister or downright twisted.

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Alot of these are actually the on the Outer Planes, and GE's connection toe the Outer (and Inner) planes has been severed, unless things are coming to GE.
As GE is based on our own world, I am using them in our worlds perspective, not in the D&D sense ;) Also, given the time that has passed, the belief structures of people may have taken some form as demiplanes that bear the same names that are now tied to GE instead of those that once existed. In the GE sense through which I see them, they are parts of the material world that GE is, not a seperate plane.

However, if we are to follow your theories, Laputa also cannot be placed on Gothic Earth, or Eden for that matter as they have been positioned in other planes over the course of D&D's history ;)
Swallow your soul!
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Laputa has been put in a D&D Plane?

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Lady Ligeia wrote:Laputa has been put in a D&D Plane?
Yep, though the name Laputa was only one of the names suggested to call it in your games as it apparently had different names on different worlds (which made sense for once) ;)

Most recently, the book RElics & Rituals by Sword and Corcery contained a flying castle similar in appearance, but that was no the Laputa I am referring to, the one I am referring to comes from 1st Edition AD&D.
Swallow your soul!
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Lady Ligeia wrote:Wonderland
I always thought the idea of Wonderland was that it was "tainted". I mean, Carrol had some messed up ideas in his head. In fact, hence "Alice".