25%
No Dungeon!!!
75%

Total votes: 48

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I like this idea but I think it will be diffcult. There will be many characters who will have their own backround, their own goals etc, it will be difficult to join all together and have an decide to do the same quest or explore the same dungeon.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

JinnTolser wrote:If we get really ambitious, we could turn the netbook into an adventure (not necessarily in or involving a dungeon, although that is a possibility), in which the characters all play an important role.
*Back again!*

I'd favour this version as well, but since the majority is against it, I'll try to think of a bigger host character... What about a bard? :lucas:

(-And about your submissions? :twisted: )
Le Noir Faineant

:twisted: To speed things up a bit:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Now, while we discuss whatever bckground our compilation may have, I'll force things up a bit:

Since creating a detailing character is the story of basically one evening, I as project leader :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: demand the following:

About 4 months from now, on 06 Jan 2006, exactly one year after I joined these message boards, I want at least 9 of the proposed 18 articles in my greedy fingers. Each article shall not be longer than two pages, plus stats, so that alterations can be applied later if necessary without to much inconvenience for the authors.

If we're going serious with this project, this should be no problem. Just to remind you that you still have to submit! :wink:

(Everything I got so far is an excellent article by VAN, btw.)

When I got these submissions from you, I'll start to write the introductory stuff, not earlier.

I already have two of my proposed 4 submissions done... Will send them around as soon as I get them typed. (I am more of a handwriter.)

Any comments, news, whatever, so far? :)

Sorry, if I sound too much like the dictatoric monster part of my personality I always want to hide, but I really want this project to work and not to *go asleep* like the E A Poe book did... :cry: :wink:
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I promise you, you'll want some form of medication or illegal drug when you've finished.

Trust me.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Le Noir Faineant

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:I promise you, you'll want some form of medication or illegal drug when you've finished.

Trust me.
I think I can understand what you mean... :evil: :twisted: :wink: :lol:
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I foresee that by the time you finish the project you will be addicted to at least 7 illegal substances, be hooked on tranqs/sedatives and have an unhealthy fixation on deadlines :P
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

To be bluntly honest, I think the next few months will hold no stress for me regarding the netbook. I've two pieces more or less finished, and the other two should be done in a day. But honestly, I won't move a finger until I have at least half of the esteemed submissions. If they come, well, if not, no more work for me. I'll submit my pieces to the QtR or another rogues gallery. :twisted: That seem to be the benefits of being the project coordinator... I set the deadlines... :Strahd:

Really, I think everyone here can be trusted - really, I am happy that all of here are long time FoS-addicts that have worked on many of the prestigeous projects of the FoS THAT WORKED AND WERE PUBLISHED, but really, if someone decides against submitting and the project dies, I don't want to be the one who did already most of his work... :wink:

Although the administrative work on this netbook may really make me to relie on those precious coffein pills a bit longer... :shock: *These actually, are my EYES...*

Naah, Daisy's got to get some sleep from time to time... Right now, would be nice, actually... :)
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

How are you formatting the stuff that you've got written so far about your NPCs? Is it just a description like they give in the back of the Gazetteers, or a first-person description, or third-person (more like the VRG's, for example)? Just to get an idea of how others are doing it.
Le Noir Faineant

I simply wrote down stat blocks and short 3rd person perspective desriptions of the characters. That should suffice, as long as we are not sure about the backstory.

-So, when we decide on the backstory, I might send you your articles back to rewrite them to fit in.

In general, I think it will be the most practical for you to keep the material as generic and appliable as possible. :)
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

Okay. I already have something like that written for Rosa (just have to decide whether to keep her at the level she finished the campaign at or level her up/down some), and I can do that for the other two characters no prob.
Le Noir Faineant

JinnTolser wrote:Okay. I already have something like that written for Rosa (just have to decide whether to keep her at the level she finished the campaign at or level her up/down some), and I can do that for the other two characters no prob.

:twisted: :wink:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Desdichado wrote: Since creating a detailing character is the story of basically one evening
You're kidding me! The alhoon isn't finished and I have worked on him for 2 nights.
Desdichado wrote:Each article shall not be longer than two pages, plus stats,
You're kidding me!
The alhoon's stats are about a page and a half long! And he has a looong background and current sketch!
Well, I haven't put down much of the background or current sketch, but it won't be jsut 2 pages! Be reasonable.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant

alhoon wrote:
Desdichado wrote: Since creating a detailing character is the story of basically one evening
You're kidding me! The alhoon isn't finished and I have worked on him for 2 nights.
Desdichado wrote:Each article shall not be longer than two pages, plus stats,
You're kidding me!
The alhoon's stats are about a page and a half long! And he has a looong background and current sketch!
Well, I haven't put down much of the background or current sketch, but it won't be jsut 2 pages! Be reasonable.
:wink: Of course, I am happy if you can do more! Let's say that two pages story/ two pages stats should be the overall standard. I certainly won't cut any material you send in! Remember: The only ORDER I give is to send me an article if you announced it earlier. :wink: Consider everything else just friendly ADVISE from my part.

So don't worry. :)

BTW, I really wrote the outlines for my submissions in one evening... All the characters are from previous campaigns of mine, so it wasn't much to do. :twisted:

:)
Le Noir Faineant

I am off for some weeks! Have a good time until we meet again!

Yours,

Rafael

Check here for more detailed info!

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... 7429#37429
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

Well, I'm not involved in this, so my opinion probably doesn't count for much, but I'd rather not have the connection between the characters be a prophecy. As a representative of your reader base I can say I've had more than my fill of prophecies in gaming books. Too often they are an easy out, and always feel forced.

As to alternative suggestions: Perhaps each of these people once owned a cursed object for which the narator is searching. The quest for the item leads to each of these people in turn and the stories they tell.

Alternatively perhaps each of the individuals is a suspect in a murder case. The narator is the investigator, in this case (posibily Alanik Ray if the organizer wants to use, and feels comfortable with, that character) and as such makes a point of learning a great deal about his suspects.
(As a bonus, the murder mystery could be written up as an adventure, while the characters themselves need only be paripherally involved - or one of them might be the murderer .. dependant upon concensus)

Another idea is that the narator needs to find a number of people he can manipulate toward some nefarious end. In his search he has met with and researched many diverse characters but chosen this set as his targets. You need never actually reveal the plot, leaving that up to the imagination of the readers. (though dropping tantilizing hints might be a useful tactic in building interest and suspense)

Or they are all survivors of some distant and terrible event, which the narator is not investigating for whatever reasons make the story most compelling. (again you might never fully understand why)

My point is, try something a little different. The idea need not be original (as none of these truly are) but prophesies are simply too overdone.

Sorry if it seems like I'm interfering here, feel free to tell me if I'm out of place making suggestions.