Asking permission.

Discussing Masque of the Red Death

May I post my non-MotRD campaign basis here for critique and idea-sharing?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:53 am

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 15

Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Asking permission.

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Well, I pitched my idea for a "Victorian X-Files" to my game group and it was well-recieved. I think they are willing to give it a shot. A few of them already gave me character concepts.

Anyway ... I'd like to present to you the plot elements of my campaign, but since I will be using D20 Modern/Past instead of Masque of the Red Death, I'm not sure if that would be considered a faux pas here. Therefore, I'm asking permission first from the moderators and from the regular posters here.

May I post my non-MotRD campaign basis here for critique and idea-sharing?

If not, you will get no argument from me, not even the slightest grumble. I moderate a few forums myself and I completely understand the need to keep a forum strictly on topic.

If so, thank you very much. :)
Quinn
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Quinn »

Oh HECK yeah! :)
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

As its still MOTRD setting I don't see any reason not to post your campaign here. The rule set realy dosn't matter as long as the feel and setting is MOTRD.

Personaly i think d20 modern is MUCh more suted to run a d20 game then 3rd ed but thats just my two silver coins.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Well, to clarify ... the problem is that I don't have the MotRD book. I can't afford it right now.

My campaign will be set in 1890's Earth, and the PCs will be investigators of the supernatural, but lacking the MotRD setting book I won't have access to the setting-specific concepts.

In short, I plan to run a Victorian-era "Shadow Chasers" campaign using d20 Modern/Past. The *era* will be the same, but the setting, not so much.
"Here then, at least," I shrieked aloud, "can I never --can I never be mistaken --these are the full, and the black, and the wild eyes --of my lost love --of the lady --of the LADY LIGEIA."

[i]--Edgar Allan Poe[/i], Ligeia
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Do you have the D20 Modern Menace Manual? The Six-Fingered Hand in there is from Masque, although it's of course a modernized take. Most of the Victorian info on the timeline (the group's involvement in Krakatoa and general motivations) are still applicable. IDHMBIFOM, but I don't *believe* there's any other qabals in there, though the Hoffman Institute would be passable as a version of Die Wachtern (the qabal headed by Dr. Van Helsing).
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

I do have the Menace Manual.
"Here then, at least," I shrieked aloud, "can I never --can I never be mistaken --these are the full, and the black, and the wild eyes --of my lost love --of the lady --of the LADY LIGEIA."

Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Blake_Alexander »

My thought on the matter is that as long as the information posted is gothic in nature, and thus easily used in a MotRD Campaign, then there would be no reason why it shouldn't be posted here. After all, Lady Ligeia has added a great deal to this Forum over the last few weeks without having the MoTRD camapign book and her comments have been great additions.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

If it makes any difference, I think this forum is much more about Gothic Earth than MotRD. Your game takes place on Gothic Earth, doesn't it?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Mine will be a campaign of Victorian-era horror, but not *the* 'Gothic Earth' as detailed in the Masque of the Red Death setting book.

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

As this forum is only for MotRD/GE, I do recommend you post it on the roleplay games forum rather than this one, even if your game is a gothic victorian-based one ;)

This forum really is for MotRD/GE only when it comes down to it, not things that are similar, sorry.
Swallow your soul!
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

I don't have a problem with that.

Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Hey, Wiccy, I think you missed the ball here ;)

Still a victorian era game is a victorian era game, whatever system you use. Miss Ligeia, I suggest you post your campaign planning here, since putting it elsewhere might dilute the attention it will get. People with interest in MotRD are your main target for this request and they are surely reading this forum, but perhaps not the other ones.

And people here might give you good ideas to enrich your campaign with some MotRD elements, even if your campaign wasn't planned as strictly MotRD.

The bottom message boards are for roleplaying, not campaign planning discussions.

(Sorry Wiccy! PM me if you disagree)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Quinn
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Quinn »

With all due respect to Wiccy, I agree with Joel. Taking a look at the general roleplaying forum, I see a thread for the WWE roleplaying game, D&D 4th edition, and Sacrifice d20. Surely, this is a more appropriate forum. I'm a lot less likely to look at the general forum.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Quinn wrote:With all due respect to Wiccy, I agree with Joel. Taking a look at the general roleplaying forum, I see a thread for the WWE roleplaying game, D&D 4th edition, and Sacrifice d20. Surely, this is a more appropriate forum. I'm a lot less likely to look at the general forum.
The Roleplay Games forum is for any games and systems that are not GE or RL. After discussing things over with Joel, we have reached a solution that will have the nice Lady post her campaign on the GE board ;)

This goes to show that us mods are not always likely to agree on things either, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Ok cool. Thanks, guys. :)