Ravenloft Music for Ravenloft Dungeon Masters

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Vorpal Dragon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Ravenloft Music for Ravenloft Dungeon Masters

Post by Vorpal Dragon »

I was going to reply the thread: 'Ravenloft music: the softer side', however I feel this reply is better off as a separate thread:

To help Ravenloft dungeon masters with the wide range of music they need to collect (The DMG suggests quite a few different groups), perhaps this site could generate a reasonably definitive list?

It seems we have a few budding musicians here (I'll have to include myself in this list :)), so perhaps we could actually create a compilation of scores for the rest of the community? Finding appropriate music seems to be a common obstacle DMs find themselves in.

I'm not sure how possible that idea is. Any ideas?
Never smile at a large winged reptile,
It might smile back...
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

That would be quite cool, i.e. a collection of music pieces for a Ravenloft game.

Do you plan to compose new pieces, or record known pieces à la Ravenloft ? If the latter, how are copyrights handed in the music industry?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Vorpal Dragon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Vorpal Dragon »

Once I can convince my PC that there is a MIDI port available, I'll be looking at creating music for my Ravenloft sessions. This could include work such as mood or themes.

As I recall, music copy right last for around fifty years before they become public domain. I'm just looking into the matter about derivative works; my investigations confirm the point that permission must be granted by the copy right owner(s) to do this.

I'm also trying to determine how far these copy rights can be used.

Please if anyone wishes to correct me on any point, feel free.
It might smile back...
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

this is a great idea. i have made a few tracks for my game as well(the tracks on scores just are not long enough).. i think it is quite legal as long as no profit is made at any party. ie. put them up as mp3's. if a whole slew of them were to be made, people could just make their own comps to suit the game. which would be nice. go midi!
my bones among the rocks and roots
Joël of the FoS

To make money with it or not is irrelevant, by the way...

Indeed, the more I think of it, the more a collection of ghastly mp3 tracks would be cool.

But it needs to be done according to copyrights.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Perhaps a collection of links to buy each Mp3 from a legit store ala iTunes or MP3.com
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

I'll tell you guys some music that I've recently run into that I've enjoyed for RL games. I wrote the section on music in the DMG, so this would be on top of those suggestions.

"One Hour Photo" - A great atmospheric score. Just put it in and hit play. No need to look for specific tracks. Just about everything on this CD is worth it. Highly recommended. Get it on I-Tunes or...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846

"American McGee's Alice" - There's already been alot of talk about this score. The music for this score is pretty warped and twisted...like the game. You probably can't just put it in and hit play. You'll need to pick and choose what song you want for what score. Again, it's one I-Tunes, so you can pick and choose what you want. I'd recommend "Battle With the Red Queen," "Forest of Doors," or "Skool Daze." Be warned! Each track comes with a small bit of dialogue in the beginning - might ruin the mood if you're not careful.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 38-0302262

"Van Helsing" - Okay, I know what you're saying. That movie? Sure, the movie is over-the-top, but the music is great for battle scene and combat. Plus, it's on I-Tunes. I highly recommend the opening track: "Translyvania 1887" for some good battle tunes.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/searc ... 38-0302262

"The Village" - The jury is out on the movie. Some liked it. Some hated it. But the music for this movie is simply outstanding. Understand that this score isn't very "creepy." It's beautiful, haunting, and tragic. So what would you use this for in a game? It's great background for when the PCs aren't in danger, or when they're just out and about.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

Anyone looking for a particular track by the way? Like, "I need something for a child's nursery?" or "I need something for a big entrance of a big bad guy?"
Vorpal Dragon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Vorpal Dragon »

For remixes or translations (into other formats) of existing work, permission must be obtained from the copyright owner - whether for profit or not. Most artists recognize that fan remixes actually help their sales as people usually look for the original song if they like the remixed version. So getting permission shouldn't be a problem.

I think if this website would host the fan-made material then that would be fan-tastic! (sorry) I believe the Fraternity can cover themselves by stating clearly that the responsibility of complying with laws falls with the artists and any illegal material will be removed if discovered. By submitting a 'track' (I believe that is the legal term) the artist is providing the website permission to host it for public access. I'm sure this can't be that much different to hosting the drawings of artists.

As for a list for commercial artists, film scores et cetera; Just mentioning them and providing suggested links for purchasing them would be a good idea (if you need to bother with links at all.)
It might smile back...
Joël of the FoS

Thank you Rucht for these suggestions, I will add them to the DM Trick section.

I agree with The Village music: I use it often in my game.

So for music, either people could post interesting pieces for RL and we make a list out of it, but we could also use original mp3 made by fans. Either is a fine way to help a DM.

Joël
ballsetto
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ballsetto »

I might be able to whip up a quick track in LOGIC, i also am working on a track called "Ravenloft" right now but it is metal of the black/death variety albiet with atmospheric parts galore.
Vorpal Dragon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Vorpal Dragon »

Sounds interesting. I would be interested hearing in the end result.

Is this board blessed with more individuals with musically creative talents? I'm sure there's a few more out there (should stop grinning when I say that and hide my fangs...)

That's another section I didn't think of before. General music inspired by Ravenloft... not necessarily suitable for a role play session, but fun for just general listening.
It might smile back...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Rucht Lilavivat wrote:Anyone looking for a particular track by the way? Like, "I need something for a child's nursery?" or "I need something for a big entrance of a big bad guy?"
Well, since you're taking requests.... :)

I need a good Van Richten theme. (I've been using "The penitent man" from the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade soundtrack, but I'm not 100% happy with it.)

I've also been looking for:
An Azalin Theme
A Falkovnia theme ("Deutchland Uber Alles" seems in poor taste.)
Some "walking around town" music that isn't too cheerful or too spooky.
Sad NPC death music. (I've been using Evenstar from the LOTR soundtrack, and it's getting old.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I use the Imperial March from The Empire Stikes Back for Azalin. People hear it and associate it with Vader, so when they hear it for an NPC they know that what's going to happen will be memorable or deadly.

And for sad NPC death, I suggest Sacrifice from Buffy, it's the piece that plays when she jumps into the portal at the end of Season 5.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

gonzoron wrote: I need a good Van Richten theme. (I've been using "The penitent man" from the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade soundtrack, but I'm not 100% happy with it.)
I still stand by the hero's theme from Unbreakable. :wink:
gonzoron wrote:A Falkovnia theme ("Deutchland Uber Alles" seems in poor taste.)
Lux Aeterna from the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack, maybe?
gonzoron wrote:Some "walking around town" music that isn't too cheerful or too spooky.
I'd say look into Celtic music. I can't think of any specific CD recommendations off the top of my head because a lot of my Celtic mixes are made up of five songs from three of my CDs, five songs from four of my roommate's CDs, and a couple tracks from another friend's CD . . . ;P But darker Celtic music makes for really good Ravenloft "walking around town" music.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
ballsetto
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ballsetto »

lux aeterna is a truly awe inspiring piece by Gyorgy Ligeti, a composer who WILL be realized as the Beethoven of the latter half of thr 20th century. I reccomend many of his works for atmosphere especially for someone looking for more abstract sounds and less cliche "classical stuff" Another composer I highly recommend who is a little more traditional but powerful powerful and decidedly modern is my friend Chris Rouse..his works espeically Gorgon would be FANTASTIC for battle scenes