Monster

Books, movies, television and everything else
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Monster

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

I don't know how many people here watch anime, but I have to suggest a rather good horror/drama that I've recently come across.

It's called Monster. It's based around a Japanese neurosurgeon named Tenma at work in Western Germany. Abused and used by the hospital director (who is willing to pull doctors out of extremely difficult surgeries if more profitable clients come in), he reaches the point where he is ready to stand his ground and do what he knows to be right. That night a boy with a bullet in his brain is brought in, along with his catatonic twin sister. Tenma is just about to begin the surgery on the boy when he is told to leave it and work on the Mayor (who is being flown in). Tenma stands his ground and saves the boy's life. The Mayor dies.

Tenma's life begins to fall apart, until his tormentors turn up dead. 9 years later he is drawn into a dark world of murder and conspiracy when he runs into the boy he saved. The boy seems to be more than he is (and the opening of the series, along with a quote of about the Great Beast of Revelations, suggests that he is the anti-christ).

The series is well paced, the characters are interesting and have realistic reactions to what goes on around them, and the animation and music are superb! If you liked the Omen or want to look at other aspects for an anti-christ character for Ravenloft or Masque I strongly suggest it.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Long time anime fan here (27 years enough to count you as a lont time fan these days? lol)

I saw the trailer a while back for this one, it didn't exactly capture my interest :(

The Aaa! Megami sama tv series that aired earlier this year in Japan did though, I want that series! :)
Swallow your soul!
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

That and Full Metal Panic!!!: The Second Raid.

Monster moves at a leisurely pace, taking the time to build the suspence and atmosphere. It apparently goes up to episode 62, so it has the time to tell the story without rushing.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".