Corpse Bride.

Books, movies, television and everything else
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Corpse Bride.

Post by Brandi »

Well, it's a Tim Burton film, both in the bad and the good ways.

Good: Remarkable visuals and weird gags; really impressive animation (the technology has come quite a ways since Nightmare Before Christmas).

Bad: Thinner plot even than Nightmare Before Christmas, kind of rushed ending.

I don't want to spoil it, but I recommend seeing it.
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

What's wrong with Tim Burton films? :?

I don't think I've seen a Tim Burton film I haven't enjoyed (even though, in a few cases, I didn't even know they were Tim Burton).
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

kelnage wrote:What's wrong with Tim Burton films? :?
Coherent story arcs just aren't his strong point, and while the visual punch he brings to films usually more than makes up for it for most people-- it doesn't always. (cf. Planet of the Apes)
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I went last night with my goth daughter & several of her friends (all dressed in black), all big TB fans. I must say I really liked it, and I didn't care for the earlier Nightmare film. I was a litle surprised at the rushed ending, and it was blatently obvious who the 'murderer most foul' was. Really impressive visuals, excellent sound in a stadium-style theater. I enjoyed all the little macabre details (really loved the flocks of crows/ravens), and must admit getting a few shivers when Emily used the 'Hopscotch' recall. I'll probably see it again at the theater, I'm sure it won't have near the impact on small-screens.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I have always found the drive behind a Burton movie is the artistry, bot the plot, so I'm gonna love it :)

Vatman, I feel old now, thanks for mentioning your goth daughter. But I hope she's a proper goth, not another of these HAWFS in it for the image and music... *sigh*

I've been a goth for 22 years and I shall die a goth... sometime around the end of the world :twisted:
Swallow your soul!
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

It's amusing, but no real twists or surprises...

Coming next year, a see Yet Another Quirky Film, directed by Tim Burton, starring Johnny Depp, and with music by Danny Elfman! You know it's going to happen....
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Charlatan wrote:Coming next year, a see Yet Another Quirky Film, directed by Tim Burton, starring Johnny Depp, and with music by Danny Elfman! You know it's going to happen....
Hah! Not hard to see the dollar signs there! However, not next year, or the year after. Depp is filming Pirates of the Caribean 2: Dead Man's Chest for 2006, and PotC 3 for 2007. Burton has not yet announced his next work. That would have been a good guess though, and surely bound to happen again before very long. :wink:
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Saw the film last night - very kwel!
Elfman's music was pretty good, though it didn't compare to Nightmare Before Christmas.
Once again, puppets prove to be superior to real actors. When will hollywood learn this fact and replace all fleshies with animatroincs?
Got to hand it to those sculptors, though. Its kind of hard to make a corpse look as hot as Emily.
The ending was kind of a tear jerker as well.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I loved it too. When it ended, I nearly bought two places again for me and my daughter.

It's very beautifully made, visually I mean. It's really amazing to see Emily when she is sad. The choice of colors for her is superb (all blue and grey).

The end is indeed sad. Well done.

Even if I loved Nightmare before Xmas (perhaps our family classic), I prefered this new one. More mature, even if it still is a kids movie.

At least 9+/10 in this movie genre.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Catman, I feel old now, thanks for mentioning your goth daughter. But I hope she's a proper goth, not another of these HAWFS in it for the image and music... *sigh*
That comment irked me the second I saw it. Seriously, we're talking about teens having fun here.

How about "grow up" ?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Catman, I feel old now, thanks for mentioning your goth daughter. But I hope she's a proper goth, not another of these HAWFS in it for the image and music... *sigh*
That comment irked me the second I saw it. Seriously, we're talking about teens having fun here.

How about "grow up" ?

Joël
You be me for a day, then voice your opinion on them ;)
Swallow your soul!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

But you could gather them around you and be some sort of Goth Yoda! It's be great!

"Mmm, angsty poetry the way, is not."
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:But you could gather them around you and be some sort of Goth Yoda! It's be great!

"Mmm, angsty poetry the way, is not."
That made me laugh like a maniac. But yeah, when they come up to me, I do give them little bits of advice ;)

I'm a bit tall to be Yoda, but painting my skin green and wearing fake ears sounds good, always wanted to do that, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Now we need a name.

Yodath or Gothda?

Sounds like a Kaiju waiting to happen.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Yodiccy? :)
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin