Harry Potter 4!

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Harry Potter 4!

Post by alhoon »

Yey! ! ! It is about to be released!
The most dark of all the books so far and a great one IMC.

PS. Wiccy, I know you don't like it, but I enjoy these books and the movies very much.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

I am totally with you on this. I just finished book 6 about two weeks ago. Plus my girlfriend has been excited about this movie non-stop since I showed her the trailer a few months back.
Should be good. I personally can't wait to see the graveyard scene.
It's gonna be wicked.
Augustus
Paladin
Paladin

Post by Augustus »

Voldemort is most definately a lich. I just wonder if in Harry Potter's world there is necromancy to raise zombies and skeletons and crap.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Augustus wrote:Voldemort is most definately a lich. I just wonder if in Harry Potter's world there is necromancy to raise zombies and skeletons and crap.
Actually I don't think Voldermort would be a lich. More like some starnge kind of reincarnated snake with some sort of phylactry capabilities. Either way I am pretty sure they have some sort of necromantic equivelent as shown in that last book.
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Augustus wrote:Voldemort is most definately a lich. I just wonder if in Harry Potter's world there is necromancy to raise zombies and skeletons and crap.
Naw, he's similar to a lich, with Horacruxes being like phylacties, but that's it. I think Voldemort would find the idea of true lichdoom distasteful compared with what he has now, since he can still enjoy the pleasures of being alive and still not fear death.

And the HPverse has Inferni, or whatever they were called... Murderous, mindless, animate corpses, zombies in all but name.
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Voldemort is considered to be less-than-alive. He has splitted his sould after all. I believe he is a lich.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

Liches aside, I've read some early reviews from screenings of the film. (find one in Yahoo Movies), and so far it looks to be really a great movie. It's also said that it's longer that the Return of the King. About 150 minutes of wizard wizardry...!!!!

I am looking forward to it...actually I am heading right now to the cinema to get my ticket.. :wink:
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Already got mine last friday for the midnight showing. It's gonna be great!!!
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

BigBadQDaddy wrote:Already got mine last friday for the midnight showing. It's gonna be great!!!
...and it has suddenly occured to me why the movie theater I work at has schedualed me to work so late this Thursday night....
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tessa »

I haven't asctually gotten around to reading the books but I have heard that starting with this one, the series starts to get kind of scary. True?
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Charlatan wrote:...and it has suddenly occured to me why the movie theater I work at has schedualed me to work so late this Thursday night....
Thats a downer, unless your running the projector and can watch it.
Tessa wrote:I haven't asctually gotten around to reading the books but I have heard that starting with this one, the series starts to get kind of scary. True?
Wel, I wouldnt say scary, but the series definatly gets darker. You should read it. It's cool in that the writing style grows with the reader, along with the content, hence why the first books where shorter and simpler, now that the target audience is growing up, the themes are growing up as well.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The movie has been good, but not as good as the book.
Many interesting sub-plots from the book have been left out, leaving out of the movie much in the way of character-development. The Ron-Hermione relationship and even the Harry-Ron relationship changed in this book, but it doesn't show in the movie.
Also a few things have been left out of the plot too. A pity.

All in all, a good movie but far more shallow than the book.
My DMGuild work!
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Yeah, they had to cut a lot out, but it's still a pretty long movie...

Scenes missing/changed that I noticed:

(SPOILERS!)

Barty Crouch at the Old Riddle house, Frank Bryce has no dialouge with the wizards

They start out going to the Quidditch World Cup, everything from the Dursely home is gone

The game itself is not shown aside from the opening ceremonies

No Mr Bagman, and the subplot of him and the Weasely Twins

SPEW and the house-elves are gone (Barty Crouch visibly casts the Dark Mark after the Death-Eater Riots, Harry gets the gillyweed from Neville)

Mad-Eye Moody doesn't show up into they're already at Hogwarts

No Blast-Ended Skrewts (if fact no Care of Magical Creature Classes)

The courtroom flashback scene is changed somewhat.

Barty Crouch SR is found dead, not alive and nuts, later missing/dead

No monsters in the Maze, the maze itself has moving walls and roots, the mzae is not on the Quidditch Field

there's a lot more, mostly monir scenes and details (no scene of Harry on the stairs in his cloak spying on Moody and Snape argueing about the Maradaur's Map, for example)

Eh, overall, it's still a good movie, the book was simply too long and had a lot of things that added little or nothing to the main plot, in transfering a subject from one meduim to another, things are always changed. I wonder what they'll cut out of Order of the Pheonix, which is even longer than Goblet of Fire...
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Spoilers

Also Barty Crouch isn't soul-sucked by Tormentors! :shock: :evil:

Trelowny doesn't make an appearance.

Harry Potter isn't mentioned as insane/ fame-hunting-crazy.

The Minister of Magic and Dumbledor don't come at odds.

Hermione doesn't receive the hundreds of angry letters for "tormenting" HP.

The journalist animagus plot . . . is abandoned after half the movie. No trapping her etc.

HP doesn't use the Map (which is important) so he doesn't have any clues that "Moody" isn't there.

The Vala don't appear at all! :x

The relation of the Hungarian (I don't remember his name) and "Hemiownee" takes place but takes far less light than in the book. People got confused about the HP-Hermione relationship in the movie.
My DMGuild work!
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

...Percy Weasaly doesn't follow Mr Crouch around loyally, acting like a prat.

....how Barty escapsed from Azkanban is not explained. (Siruis Black's wasn't either in the last movie. Oh, and Siruis only makes one appearance, in the fireplace, not also in person out on the hills)

...I think that's it.. more obessive HP fans may have spotted more things than alhoon and I did.

As I said before, the movie is still pretty durn good, it stands on it's own well despite how much was cut from the book to the screenplay.