Post Here for Help

Post questions and suggestions here

What do you, the reader, want from the board?

I hate the background! I want plain black
7%
I want special ranks, with pictures to show off to all my friends!
15%
We want Avatars! We want Avatars!
26%
What is this, a police state? We want less rules
7%
Sexy dames and pleanty of them.
37%
Other: Please write below, or instant message the moderators
9%

Total votes: 46

Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Hello,

I moved it to "Ravenloft project" since it's a project from the fans and not from the FoS.

Good luck with this project!

Joël
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Thank you very much!
I hope it will be worth the effort and many MotRD players will enjoy it.
If anyone likes to contribute, just ckeck the thread and sign in!

:soth:
Le Noir Faineant

An idea for a new section on these boards

Hello again,

*Seems that most of my posts can be found here at Trouble Shooting brrrrrrr*

What about doing a poll board?
Ultimately, many questions deal about *What do you like most, what else do you collect/play etc.*.
What about doing a board where only such questions are allowed...
Would be interesting to see that *demographic research*.
I would offer to help with that/do it alone. (Would have done that in any case sooner or later on the *General Boards*, but why don't try the *great coup*?)

Yours,

Rafael
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Re: An idea for a new section on these boards

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Desdichado wrote:What about doing a poll board? What about doing a board where only such questions are allowed...
We can give this some thought, although a board only of polls seems to be somewhat limited. Most of the polls that are created fit within the established themes of the existing boards. An additional board just for polling doesn't seem necessary...

Plus, and this is my biggest concern, a board for questions and polls would be very likely to degenerate into a series of off-topic questions and conversations (i.e., people begin asking various questions just to ask questions and not to further the setting or other related issues).

I certainly don't wish to squash such an idea, but you might need to consider the specifics more fully and let us know what exactly the benefits would be... :)
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Le Noir Faineant

Jason of the Fraternity wrote: We can give this some thought, although a board only of polls seems to be somewhat limited. Most of the polls that are created fit within the established themes of the existing boards. An additional board just for polling doesn't seem necessary...
The problem with most polls on the boards is that they are easily lost and forgotten, and that by that way, only a dozen of people really answer to them.
Jason of the Fraternity wrote: Plus, and this is my biggest concern, a board for questions and polls would be very likely to degenerate into a series of off-topic questions and conversations (i.e., people begin asking various questions just to ask questions and not to further the setting or other related issues).
If such a board was made, one could limit the number of threads allowed/let only the moderators/admins post there.
So, one could make sure that only the really important questions are discussed - for example: *What is your favourite domain?* *Creating such a poll that covers every domain name takes to much time to have it forgotten the next week.* The same with *Which darklord is your favourite?* etc.

Maybe we could make a list of things that would be interesting to do *polls* about; not such simple *yes or no* polls, but investigations based on larger lists, like that one could select from every darklord, every accessoir etc. (sorry... my English... too inprecise...)
Jason of the Fraternity wrote: I certainly don't wish to squash such an idea, but you might need to consider the specifics more fully and let us know what exactly the benefits would be...
One of the benefits would be that one had clear ideas of what the major part of the community enjoys/wants to see. (For example, this could help to decide which overall themes you choose for your netbook publications;
One could let the members rate the different articles in the netbooks and the official publications, too...)
For example, which style of campaign is popular, or where supplements would be appreciated/where this site needed improvements; such things could be best done by a poll and not by quickly forgotten threads that finally are checked only by a small group of the members.

Maybe on could enhance it that way that every new member has to post there after he/she joined. etc... Endless possibilities, in my opinion.

Now, the only thing one really needs is time to create such *big* polls - and to show the members that it is important to vote - and that would be best done by creating an entire, separate board for such issues, IMO.

Anyway, just my two cents... :)

Le Noir Faineant

:D

Precisely, I had thought to ask questions as such (always with a poll that names EVERY option):

*What's your favourite...*

-Domain
-Darklord
-Alignment when you play in RL
-QtR
-2e RL product
-3.0 RL product
-TSR setting

etc.

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Desdichado wrote:The problem with most polls on the boards is that they are easily lost and forgotten, and that by that way, only a dozen of people really answer to them.
Actually, I viewed the low number of votes was more due to lack of interest than inability to find the threads. Many of the polling threads get views, but members don't necessarily respond with a vote or comment. Plus, polls are labeled as such with bold wording on the title. It wouldn't take more than minimal effort to find such threads be scrolling down the page.

I do agree, however, that a board designed specifically for such threads would simplify finding such polls.
Desdichado wrote:So, one could make sure that only the really important questions are discussed - for example: *What is your favourite domain?* *Creating such a poll that covers every domain name takes to much time to have it forgotten the next week.*
This is a possibility, but the question is what topics are important enough to warrant a poll. We create polls on the respective boards for various topics (i.e., voting for Quoth the Raven themes, favorite articles from netbooks, general questions about the setting). I still don't know if it is worth pushing all of these together into a single board. Fort example, voting on netbook themes fits much better in the Fraternity Netbook Project Board then with a favorite darklord thread.

Desdichado wrote:For example, which style of campaign is popular, or where supplements would be appreciated/where this site needed improvements; such things could be best done by a poll and not by quickly forgotten threads that finally are checked only by a small group of the members.
Again, I wonder how much more of a response such a thread receives. If a member is unwilling to view and respond to a poll within the troubleshooting board, then I don't know if that person would make much more of an effort to respond to another poll in a page full of them.
Desdichado wrote:Maybe on could enhance it that way that every new member has to post there after he/she joined. etc... Endless possibilities, in my opinion.
I don't think that we could realistically make this a requirement of the website... :?
Desdichado wrote:Now, the only thing one really needs is time to create such *big* polls
And the technology... Please remember that the current system only allows so many options be included within a poll. Your example of listing all of the darklords, while interesting, would not be possible due to the current website layout. :x

Jason of the Fraternity
Devil's Advocate :twisted:
Le Noir Faineant

Jason of the Fraternity wrote: Actually, I viewed the low number of votes was more due to lack of interest than inability to find the threads.
I do agree, however, that a board designed specifically for such threads would simplify finding such polls.
It may be also due to the point that one usually hesistates to vote on a poll/write in thread that is long *dead*. Because of that, as I said, I'd limit the number of polls to as few as possible.
Besides, I personally must say that I seldomly look behind page 2... *The most interesting toics are always the newest, as everywhere...*
Jason of the Fraternity wrote: This is a possibility, but the question is what topics are important enough to warrant a poll. We create polls on the respective boards for various topics (i.e., voting for Quoth the Raven themes, favorite articles from netbooks, general questions about the setting). I still don't know if it is worth pushing all of these together into a single board.

Fort example, voting on netbook themes fits much better in the Fraternity Netbook Project Board then with a favorite darklord thread.
Of course you're right. On the other hand, for example the Fraternity Netbook Project Board isn't visited by far too much people, AFAIK, leaving you very unsure how your projects were seen by th community. Also, I personally hesistated a long while even to open that board because of the name. After all, although I keep terrorizing you with my ideas here, one doesn't want to meddle in the affairs of the *Great Six*...

Jason of the Fraternity wrote: ...
Again, I wonder how much more of a response such a thread receives. If a member is unwilling to view and respond to a poll within the troubleshooting board, then I don't know if that person would make much more of an effort to respond to another poll in a page full of them.
I don't think that we could realistically make this a requirement of the website... :?
Maybe you're right again. Still, I personally think such a *member querry* (right English?) would be helpful to find out what the interests of the other members are.
Jason of the Fraternity wrote: ...
And the technology... Please remember that the current system only allows so many options be included within a poll. Your example of listing all of the darklords, while interesting, would not be possible due to the current website layout. :x
:shock: How many options does the current *poll engine* allow? -Thought you could ad neverending options...

Of course, a poll board isn't essentially necessary, and to be honest, I don't know if it would attract to much traffic, but maybe the others would like it too.
In any case, thank you very much for your answer!

:D You could make a Poll if the Fraternity wants a Poll Board!

Le Noir Faineant

Hello again,

In the last few weeks, I’ve thought about DMing a RL – PbP, and since the best place for RL is the FoS, I wanted to ask if you would possibly allow me to start the game here, in your “games” section.
The main concept about the game will work similar to the TV series “24”, allowing a great number of players to join. (I am still arguing if I should use the old domain of Staunton’s Bluff or if I should better set the game near Castle Island.)

It won’t be possible for me to start the game before autumn, but, since this might involve A LOT of preparation, I wanted to ask if you would be interested in hosting it, or if you think I should better ask somewhere else. (Of course, I hope not, because I think the most skilled RL players can be found here, not at any other boards!)

If you are interested, just tell me, then I’ll send you the highly confidentential (LOL) details of the campaign as soon as I find the time!

Yours,

Rafael

*It seems that I am really the only one who posts regularly in the HELP section... Arrgh!*
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Desdichado wrote:Hello again,

In the last few weeks, I’ve thought about DMing a RL – PbP, and since the best place for RL is the FoS, I wanted to ask if you would possibly allow me to start the game here, in your “games” section.
The main concept about the game will work similar to the TV series “24”, allowing a great number of players to join. (I am still arguing if I should use the old domain of Staunton’s Bluff or if I should better set the game near Castle Island.)

It won’t be possible for me to start the game before autumn, but, since this might involve A LOT of preparation, I wanted to ask if you would be interested in hosting it, or if you think I should better ask somewhere else. (Of course, I hope not, because I think the most skilled RL players can be found here, not at any other boards!)

If you are interested, just tell me, then I’ll send you the highly confidentential (LOL) details of the campaign as soon as I find the time!
I move this be allowed. More play by posting is good and builds community. But someone should probably make sure they have the time to mod his threads and the like as needed.

My advice Des is don't aim to have lots of players. PbP isn't quite the same as PnP (obviously) as far as time between posts. People post when they have time and in the right mood so if you have lots of players you will get gaps in play -large ones, as people's lives take them away from the game for bits here and there and others need those players to advance the group's actions.

If you want lots and lots of players you'd probably want groups of threads for small groups of players (something akin to what halfling had in the day). But having this happening means you have to DM multiple story lines and come up with original and different things for each thread (not always pleasent).

Thats my grain of wisdom from my few years DMing such games on boards. Hope this helps and if you need any more advice or assistance setting the game up let me know, though it seems you've got it under control here.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Le Noir Faineant

:D Thank you, friend Coan!

IIRC, you have been DMing a PbP campaign for a while on these boards, so I'd asked you for help and advice as soon as the idea gets more concrete.

The point with this is, a PbP DM needs moderator rights and accesses to manage everything properly - not that one would want to interfere with the businesses of the great six, but otherwise I fear it won't work.

These are my plans:

- I post every week as DM, detailing the consequences of the actions.
- One week counts as one hour In-Game-time.
- From the beginning, several locations are described, where the players can interact. I envisioned something like a Tepestani group of refugees, seeking shelter in Staunton's Bluff... The group is esteemed to be of about 30 persons.
- While the starting PCs may select if they come from the Island of Terror or are Part of the Refugees, later players are supposed to be members of that group that arrived later... Or maybe Inquisitors following them...
- To travel from one location to another, one spends time that is later added to match with the rest of the action. This includes players to take a longer pause, for example if they are traveling from one village to another...

Everything still very rough and without a clear concept... But, first see, if the Great Six apporve it, then I'll look how it'll work. :wink:

I'd really like that to work, as we *pro* RLers might enjoy a *pro* game session from time to time...

:D
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

feel free to start a thread on the RP board whenever you're ready. As well, you might want to post a recruiting message on the main page when the game is ready.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Le Noir Faineant

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:feel free to start a thread on the RP board whenever you're ready. As well, you might want to post a recruiting message on the main page when the game is ready.
Great!

I'll then try to concentrate a bit on the topic and will report you the development here.

The only serious request I have is that, should the game start as planned, you give me restricted rights as a moderator. - From what I observed, it can be really ennerving for DM of one cannot, lock, move, erase stuff that is in the wrong place or pressure uncooperating players. But about that, one may talk when the campaign is completed and ready here here in my bookshelf. :)

The first thing I will do so far, will be to post a thread on the General Forum to gather all the info about Staunton Bluffs I possibly could have missed. *Any help desperately appreciated.*
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Coan wrote:If you want lots and lots of players you'd probably want groups of threads for small groups of players (something akin to what halfling had in the day).
Ah, the happy memories... :)
Coan wrote:But having this happening means you have to DM multiple story lines and come up with original and different things for each thread (not always pleasent).
Ugh, the throbbing headaches... :(
Le Noir Faineant

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
Coan wrote:If you want lots and lots of players you'd probably want groups of threads for small groups of players (something akin to what halfling had in the day).
Ah, the happy memories... :)
Coan wrote:But having this happening means you have to DM multiple story lines and come up with original and different things for each thread (not always pleasent).
Ugh, the throbbing headaches... :(
:twisted: I accept the challenge... *Easy to say, since not a word of the campaign has been written down until now...*