Opus Dei in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Opus Dei in Ravenloft

Post by Joël of the FoS »

You might know this real world catholic society, it was featured in the Da Vinci code book.

If not, you might want to try this: http://www.americamagazine.org/articles ... pusdei.cfm
(I do not say I endorse - or not - the author's opinion, and I wish this thread to remain free of your opinion on this as well ;) Let's keep it a Ravenloft discussion!)

I have this idea for my campaign, and after working on Souragne (you'll see what I mean when it's out): some kind of heretics threaten the church of Ezra with secret knowledge, and a secret order wishes these "secrets" protected from the public eye.

Any suggestion to improve this idea?

Joël
Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Having just finished listening to The Da Vinci Code on CD, I know what you mean. This would fit well with the Eschanons Heresies, as described in Gaz III.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

It's a tie between this secret society originating from the original sect or Raines'. The Borcans may be tired of worrying about schisms all the time, and their sect is dedicated to loyalty and obedience. However, the Darkonese sect also has a very stern view of Ezra and may feel the rest of the church is too soft on these people who're tearing souls away into the darkness with their heretical ideas. I personally favour the Raines sect.

And a potential name for this group could be focused on the sword rather than the shield- taking an aggressive approach to keeping the faith. :P Arma Deae (Ezrae)?
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Joël of the FoS

I like the sect-like bearing sword insignia, instead of the Ezra shield. I see them like mean thugs who think they are holier then the rest of the clergy, and who do not hesitate to strike undercover they feel the church has been wronged.

Perhaps this sect is now uncontrolable, and the clergy need help?

There could be rumors / whispers on a death bed about hidden apocryphs by church founders in Borca where a "war-like approach against other religion and ezran heretics" was presented. This option was not found ethical by the church founders and was forgotten. But the sect wants to get these texts in order to change dramaticaly the clergy toward war and intolerance of otherreligion. Perhaps a quest to find these hidden scrolls before the sect finds it?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Samael Hands of Stone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Samael Hands of Stone »

While I may actually be the only person left on the planet that hasn't read the DC, I'm familiar enough with the themes at play to deliberate a little.

I like what you were saying Joel regarding this kind of a "secret race" for lost holy scriptures or artifacts that have now become the weapons in a inner-faith shadow war.

Something akin to the not-overly documented darker side of the Crusades that involved Templar's and holy envoys scavenging the Old World for any documents, books, religious objects, etc. that might serve to disprove or shed ambiguity on Christian or papal authority.

One great historical account comes to mind (can't recall where I read it) about an archaeologist sometime in the early 1800' who had studied ancient Egyptian cults and sects and had discovered "remarkable" similarities between the accoutrement's and some of the mythology of the Catholic Church, and the ancient Egyptian cult of Maat. He confronted the Pope and asked if perhaps the church had assimilated some aspects of the cult of Maat.

The Pope was naturally furious and denied any connection, later the official release from the Vatican claimed that these similarities had been in actuality the result of a cunning ruse by the Devil, who had apparently "sent his agents back in time to plant elements of Christianity into the cult of Maat in order to discredit the Church".

A Secret Faith War is something I've been thinking about for a long time, there's so much potential there.

Very cool stuff, I'm totally feeling this brand of storytelling.
"In life, we all have our El Guapos..."
Xanthippe
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Xanthippe »

It's quite an interesting plotline, with a small secret good battling and protecting against the overwhelmingly large forces of evil. Or applied to a DL's upper echelons, or not, being folks who believe they're doing the DL's work, but aren't exactly on point. Or a group that knows the DL's weakness and searches for ways to exploit it... Or a secret who's only chance for survival is to be made open to the public (DaVinci Code, Nat'l Treasure) and become lore... And, wow, that's not at all what this thread was taking about at the start.

And, Samael, you're not the only one.
[size=84]"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich Schiller[/size]
Joël of the FoS

Fun ideas and precisions. I think this Ezra inner-war sect has potential.

Back later with more thoughts.

Joël
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Samael Hands of Stone wrote: One great historical account comes to mind (can't recall where I read it) about an archaeologist sometime in the early 1800' who had studied ancient Egyptian cults and sects and had discovered "remarkable" similarities between the accoutrement's and some of the mythology of the Catholic Church, and the ancient Egyptian cult of Maat. He confronted the Pope and asked if perhaps the church had assimilated some aspects of the cult of Maat.

The Pope was naturally furious and denied any connection, later the official release from the Vatican claimed that these similarities had been in actuality the result of a cunning ruse by the Devil, who had apparently "sent his agents back in time to plant elements of Christianity into the cult of Maat in order to discredit the Church".
Um, didn't Jack Chick say this in one of his Chick Tracts?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gemathustra, do not mention that name here! I am caught between laughing and ranting whenever I'm reminded about him... :evil:
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Llana wrote:Gemathustra, do not mention that name here! I am caught between laughing and ranting whenever I'm reminded about him... :evil:
Any chance that these great ideas and plot lines could be taken from the board and put in a Netbook? A netbook of hooks. Sometimes there are great ideas here, but as the thread loses steam, they get forgotten, and one loses a proper reference to them. Also, even if one is interested at the time and does save the thread, that is not practical and everything becomes disorganized.

I know there are the plot hooks sections for domains, but they're too short compared to all the ideas that go back and forth here.

I know it is a lot of work, but it's a suggestion.

Ail
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Joël of the FoS

I'd love to do a netbook of hooks, but it is quite difficult to make.

We chose to make it in the "domain of the month" way, with a theme. This part of the site has grown a lot since, and is continuing to (it reminds me to change the current theme :) )

Joël