Van Richten casting

Discussing all things Ravenloft
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Van Richten casting

Post by eldritch »

Have you seen the 'Burbs? (a Tom Hanks comedy 1989)
I think that Dr. Klopeck is a perfect Van Richten (aside from the fact that he is a villain in this picture)
he is actor Henry Gibson
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002099/ (internet movie data base link to actor's page)
http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/the__burbs.shtml (picture link) [he is the guy at Tom Hanks' right closest to the car trunk. 6th image down on page, the one where Tom is wearing an eye bandage]

or do you prefer Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing in Bram Stoker's Dracula? (Francis Ford Coppola 1992)

How about the Skinny british type from the Hammer Horror flicks?

Or Roddy McDowall as Peter Vincent in fright night? (1985 vampire movie)
http://korku.org/frightnight.htm (picture link) [vampire slayer with cross in photo]
Who read I,Strahd in the audio book BTW! http://www.xmoppet.org/recordings/IStrahd.html

How do you picture Van Richten?
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I think that Joel Grey would be a great Van Richten. Look at his original picture in the Black Box, he' the spittiing image of him.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by eldritch »

it appears that he was "Doc" on Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) as I do not watch this show is that another vampire hunter type character?

good choice BTW but I still prefer Gibson. I think perhaps he is too skinny and tall for my tastes. I prefer a shorter Van Richten. if you haven't seen the burbs rent it today!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

eldritch wrote:it appears that he was "Doc" on Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) as I do not watch this show is that another vampire hunter type character?

good choice BTW but I still prefer Gibson. I think perhaps he is too skinny and tall for my tastes. I prefer a shorter Van Richten. if you haven't seen the burbs rent it today!
I haven't seen the Burbs in, must be ten years...

Part of me wants to say Christopher Lloyd, but then I'd expect Van Richten to start shouting, "THE FLUX CAPACITOR!" every ten minutes...
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Bryan1108
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Bryan1108 »

I keep flashing back to Peter Cushing. I get all stubborn thinking that nobody else will do. I almost think that it would be best to look through unknowns looking for a "Cushing" quality of some kind.
If I had to choose from known actors, I would definitly go with Ian Holm.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000453/
He rocked in "From Hell" and we know that he can do the aged adventurer/mentor from his work in the "Lord of the Ring" trilogy.
I would try to see things from your point of view but I doubt that both of our heads would fit up your butt.
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

Peter Cushing all the way
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

eldritch wrote:it appears that he was "Doc" on Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) as I do not watch this show is that another vampire hunter type character?
Nope. Evil demonic doctor.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Scot Storm
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Scot Storm »

I think that guy from the Thriller movie video would be a great old 1940s Van Helsing. Doing that voice during MJ song.
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Vincent Price. Sadly he passed away at least ten years ago.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Scot Storm
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Scot Storm »

Yes that's his name. Thank You.
Storm