Reckonings: The Overlook

Online roleplaying at the Café
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Rafael wrote: *Astral construct how I envision it.* (Even with sculpting check... Anyone knwows what this is? :wink: )
Looks like a Slime from Dragon Warrior to me. (Summon a Metal Slime, if you're going that route.)
As to the specific energy type, I neither find nor know of any rule specification on this. :oops: Maybe just ectoplasma?
It's easier than you think. :) Your choices are Fire, Cold, Electricity, or Sonic (see the Giamarga's link for other details). I'd go with fire, probably, since you get the +1 to damage and he's not likely to be immune to it.

It now occurs to me to wonder, can Harrin dominate an astral construct? He could dominate Sariel, after all. :shock:
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Yeah, that's Toriyama's cult slime! :)

Remembering the complicated implications about bringing the mainmast down, I pick sonic energy then, unless fire is really a better choice against Harrin, whose nature I have not fully come to understand. :)

Please, don't let that construct fight against Anders! I always liked the slimes from DQ a lot. :mrgreen:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Rafael wrote:Please, don't let that construct fight against Anders! I always liked the slimes from DQ a lot. :mrgreen:
Harrin's a ghost; he just has weird nautical abilities like being able to cause ghost ships to manifest physically.

Since there's no mainmast to bring down at present (the ship went ethereal again), I think fire is better; you get better damage except against objects (fire gives +1 damage per die, sonic gets -1 per die but ignores hardness).
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Actually, IIRC Anders is summoning this creature in the ether, so the creature could just as well be sent to destroy the ship. At any rate, the ship and Harrin are both un-manifested right now, so anyone who can see/attack one can do the same to the other.

As for Harrin's unusual ability, it's called "phantom shift." It's not usually used so aggressively, but hey, I've found aggressive uses for feather fall.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

DeepShadow wrote:As for Harrin's unusual ability, it's called "phantom shift." It's not usually used so aggressively, but hey, I've found aggressive uses for feather fall.
OK, I'll bite. What's the aggressive use for feather fall?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

In one campaign, I had a character who made frequent use of a jump dagger, which granted feather fall to anyone who was in contact with it. When she and a powerful villain were both falling from a castle wall, she hit him with the dagger so that she fell faster and used him for cover against all the archers shooting at them. He took a lot more damage from the archers than she did from the fall. :wink:

(Might as well mention it was 2E, and the DM had frequently ruled that my feather fall was slow enough to put me a round behind everyone else.)
Le Noir Faineant

I am a bit confused: Now, are we all in the ether, or partly, or only Anders, *Sam the Slime*, Harrin, and a mirror of the ship? :)

Too less sleep, too many books about paedagogical learning...
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Anders is/was in the ether. Sam the slime was sumoned in the ether, and has no power to leave it, so he's in the ether. Everyone and everything within 60' of Harrin is interacting with ER instead of physical objects, which is mostly like being in the ether (the biggest difference being you can't see genuinly ethereal creatures). Anyone beyond that distance has no contact with the ether...and has reason to be thankful for that. :twisted:
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by MatthiasStormcrow »

Sorry for the delay guys, this time of year is always really busy for me, work-wise. I'll try and get something posted to deal with the, erm, current situation :shock: but some questions first:

Just to make sure I've got things straight, the current situation is: Harrin has possessed a sea troll (again, because the last one worked so well! :P ) and is over by the Demon Cutter at this point, which has all this flooding going on due to being phantom shifted, and so on. Are Cortez and Shadross nearby enough to be aware of any of this? (I assume they'd hear the alarm bell on the Demon Cutter, at least, but how much else would they be able to see/hear?) Where is Anders now, and what happened to the other previously phantom-shifted ship that Harrin is seemingly no longer paying attention to? It's still in the ether, but where? Still careening towards the Bane?

Phantom shift is a bit confusing once you get into really complicated applications of it, I have to admit...

Also, is Ciera dead? Seems like we haven't heard anything from her/Draga/Invictus in a while...are they getting overrun by sharks and whatnot?
"You see, what you thought was a gibbering abomination from the pits of Hell was really just a fruitbat. We get 'em all the time in Salt Lake."

-Benjamin Dean, Doomtown Ep. 8
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Sorry for the delay guys, this time of year is always really busy for me, work-wise. I'll try and get something posted to deal with the, erm, current situation :shock: but some questions first:

Just to make sure I've got things straight, the current situation is: Harrin has possessed a sea troll (again, because the last one worked so well! :P ) and is over by the Demon Cutter at this point, which has all this flooding going on due to being phantom shifted, and so on. Are Cortez and Shadross nearby enough to be aware of any of this? (I assume they'd hear the alarm bell on the Demon Cutter, at least, but how much else would they be able to see/hear?) Where is Anders now, and what happened to the other previously phantom-shifted ship that Harrin is seemingly no longer paying attention to? It's still in the ether, but where? Still careening towards the Bane?

Phantom shift is a bit confusing once you get into really complicated applications of it, I have to admit...

Also, is Ciera dead? Seems like we haven't heard anything from her/Draga/Invictus in a while (ok, not that I expect/want to hear from Draga, but you know what I mean!)...are they getting overrun by sharks and whatnot?
"You see, what you thought was a gibbering abomination from the pits of Hell was really just a fruitbat. We get 'em all the time in Salt Lake."

DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

MatthiasStormcrow wrote:Just to make sure I've got things straight, the current situation is: Harrin has possessed a sea troll (again, because the last one worked so well! :P )and is over by the Demon Cutter at this point, which has all this flooding going on due to being phantom shifted, and so on.
Would this be a good time to mention that I've deliberately constrained Harrin's options based on his low Intelligence and Wisdom? Charisma, sure he's got that, which is how he can steal a crew out from under Shadross...and then promptly get them all killed with bad planning.
Are Cortez and Shadross nearby enough to be aware of any of this? (I assume they'd hear the alarm bell on the Demon Cutter, at least, but how much else would they be able to see/hear?)
There's the bell, and the singing, and the other ships relaying info by flag ans whispers. Shadross is currently under water, so he'd have a hard time hearing anything. Ciera could tell him, though. She's still there, and relaying information.
Where is Anders now,

He's about 120' off the port side of the Brinewine Runner.
and what happened to the other previously phantom-shifted ship that Harrin is seemingly no longer paying attention to? It's still in the ether, but where? Still careening towards the Bane?
Yes, but slower. (Gets out a tape measure to see how far the Bane's port side is from the Demon Cutter).
IMNSHO, it gets a bit confusing from the word "go," but then apparently I think differently from other people. Other people's games don't seem to require information such as whether a ghost can make a grapple check on another ghost, or whether a wraith can hit someone in the ethereal or whether it takes more than a round to fall 400'. :?
Le Noir Faineant

DeepShadow wrote:Anders is/was in the ether. Sam the slime was sumoned in the ether, and has no power to leave it, so he's in the ether. Everyone and everything within 60' of Harrin is interacting with ER instead of physical objects, which is mostly like being in the ether (the biggest difference being you can't see genuinly ethereal creatures). Anyone beyond that distance has no contact with the ether...and has reason to be thankful for that. :twisted:
:) Thank you for the clarification.
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

DeepShadow wrote:IMNSHO, it gets a bit confusing from the word "go," but then apparently I think differently from other people. Other people's games don't seem to require information such as whether a ghost can make a grapple check on another ghost, or whether a wraith can hit someone in the ethereal or whether it takes more than a round to fall 400'. :?
It has its moments, but as written it seems to have mostly been intended to allow the ghost to produce creepy atmostpheric effects and the like - it has a bit of that sort of 2nd edition "This ghost can make the walls bleed. Why? Because, that's why." feel to it. It's an ability that you wouldn't want to cut from ghosts, but its hard to define exactly...

Le Noir Faineant

:lucas: :azalin: :diamabel: :?:

Where are ya, people...? :wink:
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rafael wrote::lucas: :azalin: :diamabel: :?:

Where are ya, people...? :wink:
I'm still here, and preparing to move some of the side issues forward while we wait on some replies. Here's the state of things as I see it:

I replied to Matthias about the locations and status of different characters. Presumably he will post soon with actions by Cortez and Shadross.

You are in a holding pattern last time I heard, waiting on someone else.

I'm not sure what happened to Gurthoron and Fuzzball. They replied to their last shout out here on the overlook, but have not yet replied to the Sea of Sorrows thread.

Nathan's characters appear to be waiting as well--Peregrine for me to advance the plot, and Sariel for...who is Sariel waiting for?

What's going on everyone? Are people lost, confused, disappointed? Let me know here or in private, and let's get this game going again. I'll get Peregrine's plot back on track ASAP.