Reckonings: On the Sea of Sorrows

Online roleplaying at the Café
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Gurthoron wrote:[OOC: Ah, thats what it was. For some reason I got the impression it was some sort term curse or the like. As for the save, I was going to let you roll for it as I have the tendency to critically fail instant death spells and its the kind of important roll you want to make sure is kosher.
No problem. I'll make the roll. As I understand it, it's a pretty long shot, but it's not something you can take 2 on. I think you have to fail two saves in order to die, and even without your gear the combined chance of that happening is around 12.5%. Just enough to make things interesting. :twisted:

For what it's worth, if Balin dies, you are more than welcome to pick another (N)PC.
Thanks for your patience with us getting our character sheet issues fixed. I take it then that the items will be magical again by Balin's next turn?]
Not all of them. Each round for the next four rounds you will get some stuff back, as I listed above in the four-round layout:
R1: haversack; 3 disarm, net 40'; phantasmal killer DC 25
R2: belt, wings, ring; 2 disarm, 1 attack, net 40'; flesh to stone DC 22
R3: armor, quiver, bow, boots, pearl, peraipt; 2 disarm, 2 attack, net 20'; shackle (see below)
R4: bracers, gloves, etc.; 2 disarm, 2 attack, net 20'; shades (see below)
Thus, it will be at least round four by the time you get your sword and shield out of the gloves, for example.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Okay, first roll is a 3; adding Balin's modified Will bonus of +15 and this comes out to 18, which is a failure: Balin sees his darkest fear materialze and attack him in the net. Second roll is a 9; +19 makes this a 28, which saves by 4 (whew!). Balin takes 3d6 points of damage, but might still be a teensy bit shaken by his encounter. Again, that's strictly a roleplaying issue; you said you were having trouble grasping the character. Getting into what his darkest fear actually is might help a little.

Wow...doing the math here, If I had only rolled those two in reverse order, Balin'd be dead.

Anyway, back to you!

Edit: Crud, I forgot to add his Cha bonus. Okay, so he really couldn't have died from this, as even rolling a 3 gives us a tie, which would be in his favor. Likewise, the stone to flesh on the second round is bound to fail, too. I'll keep trying.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Okay, there are some other factors to introduce to Balin's combat, what with Marcella keeping an eye on Balin and Balin being so resistant to attacks. Give me a day or two to work out the details.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Spinning around in the net like a sausage being cased, Balin hears a clear voice in his ears despite the churning water. "You'll not stand in my way! The land may flee me now, but with a better crew, I'll catch up!"

Flickering into existence for a moment, the captain's ghostly hands* dig into the paladin's side as he flounders helplessly, and moments later he is shaking away the face of nightmares that appeared unbidden beside him. The phantasm fails, but only just, and Balin scrambles for an edge.

[* Incorporeal touch attack, quickened manifestation.

Yes, I'm adding one combatant who'll actually attack hand to hand, and I might as well tell you that it's Pieter van Reise, the ghost captain himself. Reise is a bully at heart, and he can't resist the chance to put Balin down personally. Of course, this may be Reise's undoing, as Balin now actually has someone to hit, whereas before he was wrestling with invisible telekinetics. :roll: At any rate, Reise just bestowed three negative levels on Balin in one hit.

Alright, after the surprise round, Balin opened round one at the top of the initiative, but his break enchantment had no effect. In the rest of round one, Balin loses his periapt to a disarm attempt, is moved 40' out to sea, is physically attacked by Pieter van Reise and then saves against the phantasmal killer. Balin's haversack starts working again on the spellcaster's initiative, and this brings us around to Balin's initiative at the top of round 2.]
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Retconning Balin's combat AGAIN in light of the Overlook discussion, it seems his sword and shield popped out without warning, which means they would be unattended in the net, along with the haversack and quiver. Rolling the dispel check for both of them, it seems both regain their magical powers at the end of round one, along with the haversack. This still leaves him acting at the opening of round two.
Gurthoron
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gurthoron »

[OOC: Aah, the joys of all the confusing things going on with this guy. I had tried to post earlier but my computer crashed in the process. Which is fine, since I was posting with the assumption of non-magical weapons in my hands. One note first- As a paladin I am immune to all fear effects, and Phantasmal Killer is a type of fear spell. So while I would probably see the thing I fear, it has no ingame effect. Since I passed the saves it doesn't matter as much, but I thought it was an interesting little detail. Anyhoo, back to the mess. My pack, quiver, periapt, sword, and shield are all loose in the net. My pack, sword, and shield have regained their magic. (although I probably can't tell on the pack)]

Balin sends out a mental inquiry to his wings, but they remained still. Apparently this was not some sort of curse. He noticed his sword and shield regain their magic with a dim glow. Some sort of temporary suppression effect. As Balin tried to think of some way to affect the process, a stabbing pain struck him through the side. He winced at the weakness that followed and turned to face his attacker. Balin had been on the recieving end of such draining attacks before, and had searched for defences against them. But with his armor suppressed he was defenceless against such attacks. Of course, the easiest way to stop any attack was to slay the attacker. As Balin faced the ghost more forms appeared behind it, charging in at him. His eyes widened as the ghostly forms become recognizable. His own family, in ghostly form, were attacking him. They surged forwards, around and through the ghostly captain who had struck him, arms outstretched to tear at him.

As they came in Balin glanced at the ghostly captain, and saw his utter lack of response to the figures surrounding him. That managed to break through his sudden terror. His training, experience, and indomitable will pushed back the fear as he noted the various discrepancies with his ghostly family. Even as odd as this place was, it was hardly likely they would somehow be here in ghost form. As his attention returned to the ghost captain the figures dimmed and disappeared. His focus returned to the real threat.

Balin grabs his sword from were it lay in the netting and brought it around to point at the persistent ghost. This captain deserved to be layed to rest, but present circumstances made that goal impossible. Balin's main interest was getting the refugees to safety, and that meant keeping this ghost away from the makeshift convoy. He focused his powers through his old and beloved blade and stabbed it into the ghost captain. Unfortunately his blade was not enchanted to strike at incoporeal foes like his bow was, but it was currently inaccessable in his quiver. Well, the magic on his blade provided him with a chance of striking this foe.

[OOC: Move action to pick up the sword, then smiting evil against our friendly neighborhood ghost. Taking a two, I have a total of 44 to hit, which should be quite adequate. Damage is 1D8 + 2D6 (holy) + 19 + 50 (smite). Taking averages that equates to 80 damage. I would prefer if you would roll the 50% miss chance. Well, I hope that is all the weird issues with this fight. And I apologize to those who read this before my edit; I made some more dispel magic mistakes and had to rewrite so as to not use my bow. Anyhoo, there we go. Lets see what happens.]
Currently playing Saint Balin Cormaeril
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Frantically trying to regain his wits,* Balin struggles agains the net and lunges for his sword, only to feel the cold flames of the ghost's touch steal the joy of success from his heart.** The blade slices deep into the creature's ethereal flesh,*** but it only cackles at him.

"It's high time we took matters into our own hands! Too long we've sailed these seas with only fog and moonlight to fill our sails, and no port staying where it was a day ago! I've made it this far on the backs of fools and blowhards, and if I have to throttle three of your kind a day to stay in sight of land, it's what I'll do, don't think I won't!"

With a maniacal cry, the ghostly captain sinks his hands deep into Balin's soul, numbing the paladin from the inside out like a breath of frigid air. He doesn't seem to care about the figure who glides up behind him and slices into his back with a ghostly dagger, caring only for Balin's destruction.**** A flicker of magic washes over them, and Balin feels a crackling in his bones that disappears before it's barely noticed--the spell-slinger has tried again.

[* To act effectively underwater, Balin needs to make a swim check DC 15. He has a +8 to the check, but a -3 from negative levels, for a total bonus of +5. He rolled a 2, so he loses his Dex bonus and foes get a +2 to hit him.

** Balin's touch AC for the AoO, as I read it, is 10. If you can explain why his character sheet adds his WIS bonus, it will go to 16, but otherwise I'm assuming that's a typo. Not that it matters when Pieter has +13 to the roll before the flanking and off-balance bonuses--Balin gains three more negative levels.

*** The roll against Pieter's incorporeality confirms the hit, but Balin did not do enough damage to destroy him.

**** Marcella's contribution to the fight is to stab Pieter with her ghost touch dagger. She does a little damage, but Pieter still goes for a full attack against Balin, takes 2, and Balin now has 12 negative levels.

***** Balin's modified Fort save is +14 (+15 +4 +7 -12), which means he needs an 8 or better to avoid petrification. He rolled an 18, so he's safe for now. Balin's belt, wings and ring regain power at this point as well.

BTW, you're right about the immunity to magical fear; I forgot, but as this spellcaster doesn't know Balin it makes perfect sense that the first spell would fizzle like this. I can't remember if I mentioned if before, but FWIW, Balin still has to make Fear checks when called for--his Aura of Courage doesn't protect against his own sense of survival. His AoC does give him a +4 to such saves...assuming he stays above level two long enough to keep it... ;)]
Gurthoron
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gurthoron »

Saint Balin Cormearil

Balin was getting more frantic with his attacks. He had not predicted this creature could survive a strike with the full force of Lathander behind it, but this water somehow reduced his faith. Silently calling again to his lord, Balin stabs in again, sending pulses of light energy into the undead.

[OOC: Smite attack, just one in order to not accelerate my possible drowning. I think we slightly messed up again, as during my previous round's actions I was acting only under a -3 penalty (from his AoO) as he goes after me. This round I would be under the full -12. Thus, this rounds damage should be what our final calculations were for last round, while last round should have had an additional 9 damage from the smite. I think. Anyway, my action is pretty simple but I want to make sure Balin has enough air to get out of the net once this guy falls.

All these calculations give me a whole new appreciation of 1st level campaigns.]
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Balin's second strike cuts deep into the phantom's flesh, but once again he is disappointed at the creature's tenacity in undeath. Instead of being destroyed by the piercing light of Lathander, the creature only growls and beats a guarded retreat away from Balin and Marcella. As Marcella glides away to keep an eye on the creature, a bloated and sodden corpse drifts alongside Balin, barely six feet from the net.

"Have a care, soldier of light!" the creature gurgles. "What've we done to be kept from our eternal rest? A hundred of your lifetimes have we toiled before the mast! If we offend you so, let us make berth but once and be gone forever!"

The net slackens apace, and another ethereal corpse appears a ways beyond the first, with vaporous skin stretched tighter than a drum.

"Wasted words!" the creature sneers. "This one knows naught but blood and bludgeon! What say you, mates? Perhaps the headsman values pelf before pity?"

The net stops altogether, and Balin's haversack darts up while the quiver, shield and periapt slip down among the folds, then suddenly pull apart.

"Four hostages, headsman, aboveboard till we make berth."

Moments later, Marcella returns to report that the captain has taken refuge in his ethereal ship, about a hundred feet away.

[The ghosts are telekinetically pulling Balin's equipment in four directions as the net goes slack. Balin might be able to catch them one by one, but with increasing difficulty. He is also free to reason with the creatures--at least the first seems reasonable--but they are "evil" and therefore his Charisma bonus will be negated on any related checks.]
Gurthoron
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gurthoron »

Balin pauses at the ghost's words and has to mentally grab himself before he drops his jaw. All thses ghosts needed was to make berth to be freed and no one has managed this? Dear Lathander. Either the people of this place had no idea how to deal with ghosts, or there was far more to their enslavement than these ghosts let on. Balin felt his cloak ripple and flow, and with a mental surge he commanded it to raise him from the water. While the net constrained it, he hoped its inherent magic would work regardless. With a surge of will he rose from the water and headed for the ghost ship. He easily cut the net off himself in flight, making a neat landing on the ship's deck. Before its inhabitants could move against him, Balin roared out, "Parley! I wish a parley with you, captain."

[OOC: This action may be more than a round, but I posted the full set of actions to avoid confusion. I believe it is round 3, and thus my haversack, cloak, belt, ring, armor, boots, shield, sword, and periapt are all active. The periapt, haversack, quiver, and shield are all out of my possession. The pearl, btw, is still with Tessius as I gave it to him for his swim ashore. I believe fly works perfectly well in any non-solid medium, and since the wings are based off that function I was hoping they are functional. If not, I may be in serious trouble.]
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

[I'm fine with the wings flying underwater--or at least with them getting you to the surface quick enough--but the real problem here is that the ship has not manifested: it's still in the ether. I assume that you're using your plate mail of etherealness for this?

I'm also fine with you taking a few rounds worth of actions here, seeing as how the previous combat was effectively over. To catch everyone up, I'll declare that Gulleye cast haste on Tessius, who finished off the rats a few rounds sooner. That means everyone is free to act on what goes on here.

Finally, as Balin can't close with the captain right away, and has no ranged attacks (except for turning undead, to which the captain is immune), his options are still somewhat limited. It's with these limited options in mind that I take some liberties with the actions of the captain here.]

"Parley?" the ghost sneers, backing away from Balin's wrathful sword despite his scorn. "Are the forces of heaven so...so galled by my imminent success that you come to...to tilt at words with me?"

The ghost captain's halting manner betrays his distraction--he's waiting for a rescue. The coal-bright eyes deep in his face flare as he shouts mental commands...but no help is forthcoming.* Resigned to face Balin alone, he works up his courage and plunges ahead: "See how far Pieter van Riese has come on the sweat of shirkers and layabouts! I spurned your help on the icy wastes, I need less of it now!"

With that, the ship shudders out of the spirit world,* parting the jumble of flotsam and drawing screams and gasps from the onlookers as it pulls into the shallows. Pieter's eyes flare like tiny suns; he vaults over the side and crushes the wills of the stunned onlookers with barely a glance around him. Cargo nets are cast over the side by unseen hands, and people are already streaming into the sea, trampling each other to get into the new boat that inexplicably promises to hold all of them....

With mounting horror, Balin recalls the tale of a celestial sent to rescue a ship stuck in the frozen wastes on a long-forgotten world. The captain was grateful, until he realized that the creature intended to take the men home and leave the ship to be crushed. The angel tried to explain that the lives of the survivors were worth more than any ship, but the captain disagreed. Enraged, he attacked his would-be rescuer as a meddler who would thwart the search for a trade passage through the ice, and laughed that if souls fetched more than ships, he'd start ferrying for hell. His bargain was heard, and the entire ship vanished into another world, never to be seen again....

...until now. That story was so ancient as to be told as a cautionary tale among the celestials, the original participants long forgotten, yet how long had that ghost said they had toiled before the mast? A hundred lifetimes under the lash of this immortal taskmaster, and still they had not found a port where they might make berth and unload their cargo. Balin recalled the shadowy shapes writhing inside the translucent hull when the Relentless had sailed past before--all those souls brought aboard with empty promises. Reise wasn't here to end his torment, but to swell his bottomless hold with the bounty of innocent lives. Perhaps he could make berth any time he wanted, but his greed had always won out and he kept looking for more and more cargo. The ghosts who toiled in his service were waiting for a rest that would never come, because the captain valued the promise of a great haul over his own soul, and theirs.

* Sense Motive, taking 2.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

With that, the ship shudders out of the spirit world,*
[OOC: What's this second asterisk for?]
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

It's an error.
Fuzzball
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Fuzzball »

Tessius

Tessius finishes the rats in a flurry of blood and fur. He looks, for a moment, as though he's going to lose his lunch but he fights it down. There are still a few little critters wandering about, and he slashes lazily at those that pass too close as he walks to the water's edge. He watches the boat appear and the nets fall into the water. That can't be good.

The throng of people pushes him into the water. Tessius tries to call out for them to stop, but is greeted with water in his throat. Panic fills him for a moment before he recalls the necklace he'd borrowed from Balin.

He swims under the other swimmers and begins to cut the nets away. He reaches out for Marcella's mind to ask her to do the same.

[OOC: So how do we feel about hide in plain sight while swimming? Tessius has a swim speed, lots of ranks in swim, and since the boat is solid it should be casting a shadow. If you'll allow it, he'll be hiding while doing this. Don't need any more negative levels, thank you! :wink: ]
"Okay Mark, it's your turn. What do you do?"

"I commit suicide."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Fuzzball wrote:[OOC: So how do we feel about hide in plain sight while swimming? Tessius has a swim speed, lots of ranks in swim, and since the boat is solid it should be casting a shadow. If you'll allow it, he'll be hiding while doing this. Don't need any more negative levels, thank you! :wink: ]
I'm fine with Tessius hiding, but Marcella will be visible while she cuts the nets down. If they both work on one net, they'll cut it down in one round before anyone reaches the top, and Tessius will be able to defend Marcella if need be. Of course, that leaves the other net untouched, and by the time they get to the second net there will be people aboard the Relentless from that way.