Reckonings: Umberlee's Belly

Online roleplaying at the Café
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Harrin and Anders Begin a Deadly Duel

When he sees Cortez and Shadross racing toward them, Harrin commands Sariel to tear the wheel apart before either of them can get to it--the ship's pointed in the direction Harrin wants, after all.* He then unmanifests** to avoid Cortez and notices Anders coming in fast**. As Anders comes within range of the ghost's fearsome gaze, Harrin gives the psion his best glance and then sinks behind the mast for cover.****

[* Move action to give a command on round three; IMO destroying part (or all) of the ghost ship isn't out of character for Sariel, so this doesn't warrant a new save. Sariel drops down and bites for 12 points of damage (after hardness) on round 3. I've given the wheel the stats of a tower shield--hardness 5, 20 hp--so Shadross will still have a chance to turn the ship if he can stop Sariel from destroying the wheel with a full attack on round 4.
** Is unmanifesting an action? I don't think so...Anders is set to arrive on round five, so Harrin has time to ready a gaze attack against Anders coming within range.
*** Anders makes two saves, one because he moved within Harrin's range and another for Harrin's readied standard action. Anders has -6 to all his saves because of the fight with Ashkar, so Anders has a +13 against DC 22. He fails his second save and takes 11hp and 3 Cha damage. Harrin still has a move action left after doing this, hence the taking cover.
**** Harrin will keep the mainmast between them for cover as much as possible, and will move as needed so as to maintain the phantom shift effect while keeping Anders from making a full attack. Harrin can only use the upper five feet or so of the mainmast in this way; going lower will solidify the lowest parts of the ship and stop it short. Anders will have to make two saves per round--one on his own initiative, one on Ashkar's.

Anders has a standard action left after closing with Harrin, but the mainmast is between them.]
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Anders will concentrate his magic powers on shattering the mainmast, laughing like a madman, then ascends into the air, his black hair vibrating from energies....

[Psychic Crush on the mainmast! ...Assuming that this is right for this kind of action...]
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Rafael wrote: [Psychic Crush on the mainmast! ...Assuming that this is right for this kind of action...]
OOC: Er...Rafael? Psychic Crush only works on creatures...and, from the way I read it, living creatures...
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by MatthiasStormcrow »

Cortez and Shadross on (or near) the ghost ship

When Harrin unmanifests, Cortez is going to curse him for a coward and turn his attention on the obviously-controlled Sariel, flying towards him while calling out to the dragon and frantically, uncertainly casting a spell on the beast and hoping for the best.* Then he turns his attention back to stopping the ship; he flies to just in front of the prow of the ship and snaps the Immovable Rod into place just in front of it.

Shadross eyes Sariel carefully, waiting to see if the spell takes effect. If it does, then he'll stick to his plan of turning the wheel - if not, he dances past the enraged dragon, moving out towards the bow of the ship, until he's standing on the ram at the prow of the ship, at which points he turns and holds up his hand palm outward, as if to stop the whole ship with a simple command - and an abrupt gust of wind hits the ships' sails, slowing its advance.**

*a change to Cortez's round 4 actions slightly, in light of recent events: Cortez flies to within range of Sariel and casts break enchantment on him, caster level check 29...which is as good as Cortez can possibly do with his crummy caster level, so he'll have to hope that whatever caster level Harrin does his thing at isn't really, really high. Then on round 5, lacking a Harrin to go kill, he's going to settle for flying just in front of the ship and placing the Immovable Rod directly in front of it, about five feet ahead of it. (whichever direction it happens to be headed...)

**gust of wind from Shadross's ring of elemental command, which I thought was really clever, but it looks like he may not have to do it after all. Not that I'm complaining, it's usually better to go with Plan A than hastily-invented Plan B.
"You see, what you thought was a gibbering abomination from the pits of Hell was really just a fruitbat. We get 'em all the time in Salt Lake."

-Benjamin Dean, Doomtown Ep. 8
Le Noir Faineant

Nathan of the FoS wrote:
Rafael wrote: [Psychic Crush on the mainmast! ...Assuming that this is right for this kind of action...]
OOC: Er...Rafael? Psychic Crush only works on creatures...and, from the way I read it, living creatures...
:!:
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OOC: I need a specific power from Rafael for Anders' energy attack. Energy current, bolt and cone are all strong choices if you want to include Harrin and/or the rest of the rigging in your attack. As you're in the ether, a sonic attack that includes Harrin should damage him normally. Finally, you should choose your round 6 action(s) as well. Remember that the ship moves 40' per round, so staying even with it while flying requires you spend at least this much moevement.

29 beats Harrin's check, if there was any doubt, but if I read the rules right, that check actually is only necessary for instantaneous effects. So Sariel is free of Harrin's control! Let's get round 5 and 6 actions from him as well. I think I'm set on Cortez and Shadross.;)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

DeepShadow wrote:OOC: I need a specific power from Rafael for Anders' energy attack. Energy current, bolt and cone are all strong choices if you want to include Harrin and/or the rest of the rigging in your attack. As you're in the ether, a sonic attack that includes Harrin should damage him normally. Finally, you should choose your round 6 action(s) as well. Remember that the ship moves 40' per round, so staying even with it while flying requires you spend at least this much moevement.

29 beats Harrin's check, if there was any doubt, but if I read the rules right, that check actually is only necessary for instantaneous effects. So Sariel is free of Harrin's control! Let's get round 5 and 6 actions from him as well. I think I'm set on Cortez and Shadross.;)
How far is the substantial part of the deck above the water? I'm wondering if it would be possible for Sariel to grab the rail (or similar--a window somewhere, a gun port?) and use his body to brake...
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

DeepShadow wrote:The ship's lower parts shift in and out of solidity between five and fifteen feet above the surface.
It came up when I was trying to place the Immovable Rod right in front of it.
"You see, what you thought was a gibbering abomination from the pits of Hell was really just a fruitbat. We get 'em all the time in Salt Lake."

Le Noir Faineant

OOC: So, does the sonic blast I wanted to launch at the mainmast already count?

IC: His eyes glowing from his inner power, Anders unleashes a sonic wave around him, shattering and breaking everything that stands near, and, after this wave of destruction launches another psychic lightning against the ghost...

OOC2: So, I would suggest the following order of actions: Sonic Wave and Energy Bolt. Okay? - Of course, that might not be the best choice right now, but with the Psionics Manual next to me, I think I will soon be able to act more determined. :)
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the FoS wrote:How far is the substantial part of the deck above the water? I'm wondering if it would be possible for Sariel to grab the rail (or similar--a window somewhere, a gun port?) and use his body to brake...
Fifteen to five is right, except it's based on how high up Harrin is. When he's hovering over the mast it's fifteen, but cowering behind it lowers it to five feet and even below. If Anders forces him to descend any more, the ship will swamp.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rafael wrote:OOC: So, does the sonic blast I wanted to launch at the mainmast already count?
I need a specific power, by name. I can't find "sonic wave" in my SRD, although it may be there. The powers that were suggested for your sonic attack were energy current, bolt, and cone, specifically. Any of them can be keyed to a specific energy type, such as sonic, but I need to get specifics if I'm going to calculate damage.
OOC2: So, I would suggest the following order of actions: Sonic Wave and Energy Bolt.
The first is not a power. May I presume from the second that you want an Energy Bolt with sonic energy? That would be perfectly acceptable.
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

OOC: There's Energy Wave, keyed to sonic. I don't remember offhand if Anders has that or not.

Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

MatthiasStormcrow wrote:OOC: There's Energy Wave, keyed to sonic. I don't remember offhand if Anders has that or not.
If DS is using the character sheet from MSD's board, then no, he doesn't. Of course, according to that sheet he still has to select a 6th level power and a 7th level power--did anyone ever get around to doing that?

EDIT to ask: With six negative levels can Anders still do this stuff? I mean, what does it mean to lose levels, and which class did he lose them from? If it was Psion Uncarnate, can he still do his groovy ethereal bit or is he stuck in the Material with the rest of us? And can you still manifest 7th level powers if your manifester level drops below 13?

I'm confused. :P
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the FoS wrote:If DS is using the character sheet from MSD's board, then no, he doesn't.
I am, and he doesn't.
Of course, according to that sheet he still has to select a 6th level power and a 7th level power--did anyone ever get around to doing that?
No. I'm leaving that for Rafael, once he gets a better handle on the character.
EDIT to ask: With six negative levels can Anders still do this stuff? I mean, what does it mean to lose levels, and which class did he lose them from? If it was Psion Uncarnate, can he still do his groovy ethereal bit or is he stuck in the Material with the rest of us? And can you still manifest 7th level powers if your manifester level drops below 13?
Negative levels penalize hp, saves, skills, and effective caster/manifester level, but not specific abilities like the powers of a psion uncarnate. If these negative levels turn into actual level loss, that will cost Anders those powers.
Le Noir Faineant

DeepShadow wrote:
OOC2: So, I would suggest the following order of actions: Sonic Wave and Energy Bolt.
The first is not a power. May I presume from the second that you want an Energy Bolt with sonic energy? That would be perfectly acceptable.
Yes, than this is basically what I wanted to do... I am sorry; I am currently checking th psionics handbook, and from now, on, I should have better clues on what to do...

So, back in the game, Anders channes his Engery Bolt into a somic wave that is supposed to shatter the mainmast and harm Harrin as well, if possible... Should other enemies, means Harrin's thralls, be harmed, Anders will later pray for their souls, but accept it for the moment...