What Character Creation System?

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Pandion
Conspirator
Conspirator

What Character Creation System?

Post by Pandion »

I'm just wondering what character creation system people are using for their Gothic Earth campaigns? Until recently I was using the MotRD book but after reading some reviews of it some people have said they use the d20 Modern rules.

Long time tabletopper here but not so long playing MotRD. What system is better is what I guess I'm asking?
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

I'm quite satisfied with the MotRD rules. No matter how "superior" some think the d20 modern rules are, I'll keep using the settings rules. :)
The Gem of Amara...
Official sponsor, of my killing you.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

2nd or thrird edition?

In any case, I don't think that D20 rules are superior, I know. :)

I think that at that level of society, you can't limit characters to defined roles like fighter or wizard. I just happen to think that there are too many options - and that heroes have to be able to come from non-adventuring areas.
A class system based on careers could be used, but I think that it limits options, or just end up being riddiculous. For example, a character who was a clerk - like Johnathon harker in Dracula. Do you really want to have to use a clerk class?
Evil Reigns!!!!
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:2nd or thrird edition?
DnD 3.5 edition... and I prefer them not only because I don't want to buy a second set of rules. MotRD is a DnD3.5 setting after all.
In any case, I don't think that D20 rules are superior, I know. :)
That's the point where reality and what 'you know' take seperate ways :wink:
Although i don't own d20 modern books I know the system and am not convinced.
The Gem of Amara...
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Realy the biggest diffrence between D20 modern rules and straight 3.5 DnD is the base classes.

These base classes makes stating the more unique characters in litature and movies much easyer.

Take Mani from Brotherhood of the wolf. He is strong, fast and dedicated to his spirit side. Outwordly you can take his fighting style as that of a monk but thats not realy who Mani was and none of the other classes in either MOTRD or DnD realy fits who he was.

But with the base classes and a few feats you can make a very close match to what you see on screen. I see him as a 4 strong/4 fast/2 dedicated with the Extreme effort, Evason and Empathy talents and Weapon focus and Exotic weapon profficancy in his tomahawks.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

I use Call of Cthulhu d20 for Gothic Earth.

*runs to avoid the tomatoes*
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

If I some day get my hands on CoC d20, I'll certainly will use that as well... :)

Until now, I use the rules from MotRD 3.5 and the Living Death material for 3e... And it looks like I will be starting a new campaign this summer!

*More details coming soon*
mr4ever
Conspirator
Conspirator

Regarding d0 modern rules

Post by mr4ever »

My group requested to try Ravenloft with d20 modern rules, so I thought of a pro and a con of changing rules.

Pro: low-magic: you can't cure light wounds at the start, nor turn undead. And not every hamlet has three clerics (maybe just a dedicated hero 3), so a character that can take a crossbow bolt to chest, will decide to surrender to the constable for starting a barfight; or drop their weapons because a child is being held at knife point.

Con: 1st Ravenloft is D&D at least for me (meaning... why fix something that isn't broken)
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Con: 1st Ravenloft is D&D at least for me (meaning... why fix something that isn't broken)
Yes indeed. My thoughts exactly
:)
Desdichado wrote:If I some day get my hands on CoC d20, I'll certainly will use that as well... :)
@ Desdichado: In meiner Ecke von Deutschland werden die Dinger für 5 € verkloppt. Stappelweise. :lol: Habe mein's auf der Essener Messe sogar für 4€ bekommen.
Mein bevorzugter Versand is a bissl teurer aber scheints auch noch zu haben.
http://www.tellurian.de/katalog/p-engrp ... thulhu.php
The Gem of Amara...
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

William Blackmoor wrote: @ Desdichado: In meiner Ecke von Deutschland werden die Dinger für 5 € verkloppt. Stappelweise. :lol: Habe mein's auf der Essener Messe sogar für 4€ bekommen.
Mein bevorzugter Versand is a bissl teurer aber scheints auch noch zu haben.
http://www.tellurian.de/katalog/p-engrp ... thulhu.php
Das ist ja cool! - Na, dann weiß ich,m wo ich als nächstes einkauf'! Besten Dank! - Ich kauf sonst nur mei Dragonworld, da ist übrigens RL gerade recht preisgünstig! http://www.dragonworld.de :)
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

Well, i'm still fond of the AD&D 2nd ed. Masque boxed set myself...but i've done a mini-campaign with Warhammer FRPG V2 rules for a really gritty game or two, just tweak a few of the Advanced Careers and you're golden...

A nice fit is the Shadow Chasers Minigame in Dungeon 91/Polyhedron-it's a prototype for D20 Modern(so you D20 folk can use a huge amount of your favorite plug-ins) but overall the Classes are less powerful yet more flexible.Also, the system uses Vitalty/Wounds from Star Wars D20 and spellcasters are an Advanced Class

I currently have a Masque file of Houserules for the Amazing Engine system...sadly,playtesting this baby is going to have to wait until the Stars Are Right(until my players have regular schedules again). :cry:

Come to think of it, CoC D20 would be a pretty good fit at that-so would the BRP CoC for that matter.
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".
Pandion
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Pandion »

I looked at the Shadow Chasers system and it seems like it could fit well into an 1890s style campaign.

I was also looking at the Living Death rules. Most of what's in the MotRD 3.5 book is in there it appears.