Wanted: Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror
Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:10 am
Howdy all. Now and again I've mentioned the "revised RL Denizens of Dread" I've been working on for my own use. Basically, it's a collection of Word files containing all of Ravenloft's monsters, so I don't have to go flipping through a dozen hardcovers.
In putting this together, I though it would be interesting to have the "read aloud" blurb that WotC started using with 3.5 not be a simple visual description (since I find those to be generally less detailed than the old style). Instead, each "blurb" would be a short mood piece, as if quoting a snippet from a survivor's account, a journal entry, or a horror tale in which the creature appears.
Here's a couple of examples:
Abomination
“Behold this freak among freaks, this monster in the eyes of monsters. I defy you to tear your eyes from the mass of roiling, noisome flesh at the bottom of this dank pit. A true horror, is it not? So malformed, one would never suspect that the shapeless fiend you look upon was once a man like any one of you.”
—Professor Archemo Pacali, Carnival barker
Allip
“In the corner of Garner’s barn, where a frayed rope hung from the rafters, I could see a cloud of tattered rags twist and float. Rags… or were they shadows? I cannot say. Sighs, words, sobs rustled through the darkness. In a rush, the thing in the corner came at me, gibbering. I heard Allyk and Rosanna shout, but faintly as my world filled with onrushing blackness, the touch of rotten cloth and the shade’s cold cries.
“I hear it still…”
—Journal of Thomasson, Dementlieuse farmer
Assassin Vine
“Assassin vine instructions: One goat per week for each patch plus fertilizer. Weed regularly. Harvest berries at eight to ten weeks. The largest (“Vyniknot”) gets a goblin, kobold, other, in place of goat. Variant vines in underground garden receive silver-laced fertilizer. Use oil of quessence when near vines.”
—Gardeners’ log-book at Veneficus
Doppelganger Plant
“Proof of the fecundity of these wretched swamps is that while the meteor only struck two days ago, the crater is already infested with vegetation. One specimen in particular might be of interest to those dirt-grubbing botanists in Il Aluk — a mass of entangling vines, with gigantic, oblong pods smothered between them. We’ll have to clear them out to recover the fallen star — those lackwits from the village who tagged along might be of some use after all. It will keep until tomorrow, though; our guide suggests that we sleep here tonight and get an early start.”
—Last entry in the journal of Hendrich von Brahen, Professor of Astronomy at the Bratslava Institute
Elemental, Grave
“As the incantation peaked, the earth shuddered beneath us, and then rose into a mountainous form of hideous construction. Shaped from moldy earth and crumbling tombstones, coffins’ wood and dead men’s bones, it quaked with barely constrained power and hatred, both for the hallowed earth of the temple nearby, and for we puny beings that dared call it forth and bind it.”
—The Occultist’s Apprentices, Friedrich and Hilda Kreutzer
Elemental, Pyre
“Out of the depths it burst forth, as though a chasm had opened into the Infernal Regions. A column of crimson fire, it lashed out with ghostly blue tentacles of flame. All around it withered in the monstrous heat, and within, I saw bones and skulls forced to dance like ashes and embers on a hot wind.”
—Memoirs of Aradain Mournseworth, paladin of Ezra
Goblin, Dread (Bugbear)
“The beast beat the last of the smaller creatures against the boulder until the goblin was little but a sack of blood and shattered bone. Turning, it tossed its victim amongst the other corpses. Now I could see it clearly. It was both taller and broader than I, hirsute, much like a bear but with elements human, porcine, and... other. A filthy loincloth of uncured animal skin and a rope belt adorned with three severed hands were the beast’s only garments. Drool glistened amongst its jutting fangs. The beast squatted to retrieve a large sword, scarred and pitted with long use, probably scavenged from some barrow mound. Suddenly, the creature snuffled and licked at the air. A feral light came to its eyes and it took a step toward my hiding place. It had scented me and would be on me in moments.”
—Research notes of Eldgar Fionwick, goblin hunter and researcher
Death's Horseman (Famine
“A sudden chorus of terror erupted ahead of me in the marketplace. Mad panic flashed through the crowd. People trampled each other to flee and rushed the outer stalls, savagely tearing food out of each other’s clutches and desperately stuffing it down their own throats. Nearer at hand, I watched a row of smoked ducks blacken and shrivel before my very eyes. As the crowd thinned, I saw the source of everyone’s terror. An emaciated corpse sat slumped in the saddle of an equally wasted horse. The horror snatched up a halfling child, dragging him kicking and screaming onto the saddle. Just like the smoked meat, I watched the flesh shrivel from the child’s bones! The monster defiantly addressed the panicked crowd.”
“‘We seek a fiery eye,’ it said. Its voice was horrible. ‘Give it to us, and the suffering of this innocent will end.’”
—Witness account, Rivalis, August 755 BC
Vampyre
“At first, I took them for beautiful and depraved humans, their depravity made all the more loathsome by their beauty. Several long seconds passed before I noticed the salient details — the clawlike nails, the feline cast to their features, and the fiery gleam in their eyes. As I staggered back against the door, they stalked towards me, like wolves closing on a cornered hare.
“Alanik, of course, was already on the move…”
—Arthur Sedgewick, “The Nest of the Vampyres,” The Casebook of Alanik Ray
Wolfwere
“The wolf growled, and then, to our shock and amazement, it stretched, standing upright like a man. Its paws lengthened to cruel, clawed hands. Its limbs popped and shifted, bending in ways that no beasts ought to. Its back arched and curved, so that as it rose on its misshapen legs, it kept its gleaming yellow eyes fixed on us.”
—From the tales of Matthew Swiftsinger of Skald
Zombie Fog
“The mist blanketed the graveyard, its white tendrils caressing the tombstones. Slowly, the opened graves began to tremble, and the bodies stirred within the coffins. One by one, they shambled forth, their eyes veiled in fog, called by the siren spell of the fog that lured the living toward slow death and the dead toward a mockery of life.”
—Mist of the Living Dead: A Tale of Horrific Love, fifth sequel to The Dead Travel Fast
(Kudos to Matthew L. Martin and Chris Nichols, who wrote the lion's share of these.)
Anyway, here's the deal: Ideally, I'd like one of these for nearly every monster in the collection. But I also find that I don't have nearly the time or the creative energy for such an undertaking. Thus, I've decided to cast a wide net and put the proposal to you, members of the Fraternity. As you can see from the examples above, Im looking for two or three sentences per monster, with an emphasis on atmosphere rather than simple depiction.
I'm kind of hat-in-hand on this one; sharing these files with anyone would be such an egregious copyright violation it's simply out of the question, so really all I can offer is a creative outlet. I'll take first-come, first-served. And tell ya what -- if I get a blurb for a monster, and I've done errata for it, I'll post my conversion notes, where I can. And, naturally, you guys can
share each others' blurbs for your own use.
And since I know a lack of focus can kill these sorts of projects, I'll kick off with the letter A. (If there's interest in this, I'll move on to a new letter each week.)
Here's the first batch of monsters (out of 26) I need blurbed:
Done! Afflicted beast [new]
Done! Akikage [RL Monstrous Compendium III; Denizens of Dread]
Done! Albesadow (a.k.a. elven vampire) [RLMC I; Denizens of Dread]
Done! Alchemical child [Van Richten's Arsenal]
Done! Alhoon (a.ka. mind flayer lich) [Lords of Madness]
Done! Ancient dead (dread mummy) [R3E, Van Richten's Guide to the Ancient Dead]
Done! Angel of Decay [Libris Mortis]
Done! Anguilian [Stormwrack]
Animated object [Monster Manual]
Done! Animator [RLMC III; Denizens of Dread]
Done! Aquatic ooze, bloodbloater [Fiend Folio]
Done! Aquatic ooze, flotsam ooze [Fiend Folio]
Done! Aquatic ooze, reekmurk [Fiend Folio]
Done! Arak, alven [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, brag [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, fir [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, gwytune [RL Gaz V]
Done! Arak, muryan [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, portune [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, powrie [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, shee [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, sith [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, teg [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Aranea [Monster Manual]
Done! Arayashka [Denizens of Dread, Dark of the Moon]
Done! Arcane head [The Nightmare Lands]
Done! Ashen Husk [Sandstorm]
Done! Assassin bug, giant [Denizens of Dread]
Astral construct [Expanded Psionics Handbook]
Done! Avanc [The Shadow Rift; Ravenloft Gazetteer V]
I know I'm asking a lot, and I'm appreciative of whatever I get.
In putting this together, I though it would be interesting to have the "read aloud" blurb that WotC started using with 3.5 not be a simple visual description (since I find those to be generally less detailed than the old style). Instead, each "blurb" would be a short mood piece, as if quoting a snippet from a survivor's account, a journal entry, or a horror tale in which the creature appears.
Here's a couple of examples:
Abomination
“Behold this freak among freaks, this monster in the eyes of monsters. I defy you to tear your eyes from the mass of roiling, noisome flesh at the bottom of this dank pit. A true horror, is it not? So malformed, one would never suspect that the shapeless fiend you look upon was once a man like any one of you.”
—Professor Archemo Pacali, Carnival barker
Allip
“In the corner of Garner’s barn, where a frayed rope hung from the rafters, I could see a cloud of tattered rags twist and float. Rags… or were they shadows? I cannot say. Sighs, words, sobs rustled through the darkness. In a rush, the thing in the corner came at me, gibbering. I heard Allyk and Rosanna shout, but faintly as my world filled with onrushing blackness, the touch of rotten cloth and the shade’s cold cries.
“I hear it still…”
—Journal of Thomasson, Dementlieuse farmer
Assassin Vine
“Assassin vine instructions: One goat per week for each patch plus fertilizer. Weed regularly. Harvest berries at eight to ten weeks. The largest (“Vyniknot”) gets a goblin, kobold, other, in place of goat. Variant vines in underground garden receive silver-laced fertilizer. Use oil of quessence when near vines.”
—Gardeners’ log-book at Veneficus
Doppelganger Plant
“Proof of the fecundity of these wretched swamps is that while the meteor only struck two days ago, the crater is already infested with vegetation. One specimen in particular might be of interest to those dirt-grubbing botanists in Il Aluk — a mass of entangling vines, with gigantic, oblong pods smothered between them. We’ll have to clear them out to recover the fallen star — those lackwits from the village who tagged along might be of some use after all. It will keep until tomorrow, though; our guide suggests that we sleep here tonight and get an early start.”
—Last entry in the journal of Hendrich von Brahen, Professor of Astronomy at the Bratslava Institute
Elemental, Grave
“As the incantation peaked, the earth shuddered beneath us, and then rose into a mountainous form of hideous construction. Shaped from moldy earth and crumbling tombstones, coffins’ wood and dead men’s bones, it quaked with barely constrained power and hatred, both for the hallowed earth of the temple nearby, and for we puny beings that dared call it forth and bind it.”
—The Occultist’s Apprentices, Friedrich and Hilda Kreutzer
Elemental, Pyre
“Out of the depths it burst forth, as though a chasm had opened into the Infernal Regions. A column of crimson fire, it lashed out with ghostly blue tentacles of flame. All around it withered in the monstrous heat, and within, I saw bones and skulls forced to dance like ashes and embers on a hot wind.”
—Memoirs of Aradain Mournseworth, paladin of Ezra
Goblin, Dread (Bugbear)
“The beast beat the last of the smaller creatures against the boulder until the goblin was little but a sack of blood and shattered bone. Turning, it tossed its victim amongst the other corpses. Now I could see it clearly. It was both taller and broader than I, hirsute, much like a bear but with elements human, porcine, and... other. A filthy loincloth of uncured animal skin and a rope belt adorned with three severed hands were the beast’s only garments. Drool glistened amongst its jutting fangs. The beast squatted to retrieve a large sword, scarred and pitted with long use, probably scavenged from some barrow mound. Suddenly, the creature snuffled and licked at the air. A feral light came to its eyes and it took a step toward my hiding place. It had scented me and would be on me in moments.”
—Research notes of Eldgar Fionwick, goblin hunter and researcher
Death's Horseman (Famine
“A sudden chorus of terror erupted ahead of me in the marketplace. Mad panic flashed through the crowd. People trampled each other to flee and rushed the outer stalls, savagely tearing food out of each other’s clutches and desperately stuffing it down their own throats. Nearer at hand, I watched a row of smoked ducks blacken and shrivel before my very eyes. As the crowd thinned, I saw the source of everyone’s terror. An emaciated corpse sat slumped in the saddle of an equally wasted horse. The horror snatched up a halfling child, dragging him kicking and screaming onto the saddle. Just like the smoked meat, I watched the flesh shrivel from the child’s bones! The monster defiantly addressed the panicked crowd.”
“‘We seek a fiery eye,’ it said. Its voice was horrible. ‘Give it to us, and the suffering of this innocent will end.’”
—Witness account, Rivalis, August 755 BC
Vampyre
“At first, I took them for beautiful and depraved humans, their depravity made all the more loathsome by their beauty. Several long seconds passed before I noticed the salient details — the clawlike nails, the feline cast to their features, and the fiery gleam in their eyes. As I staggered back against the door, they stalked towards me, like wolves closing on a cornered hare.
“Alanik, of course, was already on the move…”
—Arthur Sedgewick, “The Nest of the Vampyres,” The Casebook of Alanik Ray
Wolfwere
“The wolf growled, and then, to our shock and amazement, it stretched, standing upright like a man. Its paws lengthened to cruel, clawed hands. Its limbs popped and shifted, bending in ways that no beasts ought to. Its back arched and curved, so that as it rose on its misshapen legs, it kept its gleaming yellow eyes fixed on us.”
—From the tales of Matthew Swiftsinger of Skald
Zombie Fog
“The mist blanketed the graveyard, its white tendrils caressing the tombstones. Slowly, the opened graves began to tremble, and the bodies stirred within the coffins. One by one, they shambled forth, their eyes veiled in fog, called by the siren spell of the fog that lured the living toward slow death and the dead toward a mockery of life.”
—Mist of the Living Dead: A Tale of Horrific Love, fifth sequel to The Dead Travel Fast
(Kudos to Matthew L. Martin and Chris Nichols, who wrote the lion's share of these.)
Anyway, here's the deal: Ideally, I'd like one of these for nearly every monster in the collection. But I also find that I don't have nearly the time or the creative energy for such an undertaking. Thus, I've decided to cast a wide net and put the proposal to you, members of the Fraternity. As you can see from the examples above, Im looking for two or three sentences per monster, with an emphasis on atmosphere rather than simple depiction.
I'm kind of hat-in-hand on this one; sharing these files with anyone would be such an egregious copyright violation it's simply out of the question, so really all I can offer is a creative outlet. I'll take first-come, first-served. And tell ya what -- if I get a blurb for a monster, and I've done errata for it, I'll post my conversion notes, where I can. And, naturally, you guys can
share each others' blurbs for your own use.
And since I know a lack of focus can kill these sorts of projects, I'll kick off with the letter A. (If there's interest in this, I'll move on to a new letter each week.)
Here's the first batch of monsters (out of 26) I need blurbed:
Done! Afflicted beast [new]
Done! Akikage [RL Monstrous Compendium III; Denizens of Dread]
Done! Albesadow (a.k.a. elven vampire) [RLMC I; Denizens of Dread]
Done! Alchemical child [Van Richten's Arsenal]
Done! Alhoon (a.ka. mind flayer lich) [Lords of Madness]
Done! Ancient dead (dread mummy) [R3E, Van Richten's Guide to the Ancient Dead]
Done! Angel of Decay [Libris Mortis]
Done! Anguilian [Stormwrack]
Animated object [Monster Manual]
Done! Animator [RLMC III; Denizens of Dread]
Done! Aquatic ooze, bloodbloater [Fiend Folio]
Done! Aquatic ooze, flotsam ooze [Fiend Folio]
Done! Aquatic ooze, reekmurk [Fiend Folio]
Done! Arak, alven [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, brag [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, fir [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, gwytune [RL Gaz V]
Done! Arak, muryan [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, portune [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, powrie [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, shee [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, sith [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Arak, teg [The Shadow Rift, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey]
Done! Aranea [Monster Manual]
Done! Arayashka [Denizens of Dread, Dark of the Moon]
Done! Arcane head [The Nightmare Lands]
Done! Ashen Husk [Sandstorm]
Done! Assassin bug, giant [Denizens of Dread]
Astral construct [Expanded Psionics Handbook]
Done! Avanc [The Shadow Rift; Ravenloft Gazetteer V]
I know I'm asking a lot, and I'm appreciative of whatever I get.