Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (cover)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Azalin Rex
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (cover)

Post by Azalin Rex »

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=pr ... /953937200
The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner...
and you are invited.

A dark shape emerges from the shadow of Castle Ravenloft. A flash of lightning reveals the sneering countenance of Count Strahd von Zarovich. His eyes burn with eternal hunger and contempt for life. From a narrow balcony, he peers out into the drizzling twilight at the few sad lights of the village below and mutters a single name:

“Ireena . . .”

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is a DUNGEONS & DRAGONS deluxe adventure that updates the original 1st Edition Ravenloft module, retaining the Gothic flavor and familiar elements while expanding and reimagining some of the locations to create a deeper, richer adventure experience.

This campaign arc adventure is designed for characters of levels 6–10 and features a new, easy-to-use combat encounter format. This book also presents new magic items, feats, and prestige classes for player characters.
A child forever carried by his father never learns to walk, my little servant. Competence cannot be bequeathed.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ireena????? Not Tatyana? I am confused. Imagine how confused poor old Strahd must be. Did she get retconned into a new name? Probably new 3.5 stats , too: a 16th level commoner /8th level vampire bait/ 3rd level cliff diver prestige class , with standard starting wealth[so she can afford a vorpal holy vampire bane sword to use on 'Uncle Strahd' and a rod of resurrection to use on poor Sergei. The PCs can stand by in silent awe as the predetermined plot unfolds, thus allowing them to bear witness to the cleverness of the module's authors. :shock:

I understand Strahd was redone in Dragon magazine as some sort of near demi-god with a HUGE CR. Oh, and they left out his entire background. We all know background material is a waste of space, when more PRCs , feats, and stat blocks can be crammed in. :? Right?

Okay, sorry about the heavy sarcasm. I actually like the D2O system, despite some stylistic concerns. It may be a great module. The original certainly was fun.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

So is this the same Ireena Kolyana from the original I6, and this is therefore a return to the campaign setting year 528? (...with all that implies for the single domain of Barovia vs. the entire Core as we now know it?)
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I think that it's not a restart for the setting, but just an update and a republication of the original adventure.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:I think that it's not a restart for the setting, but just an update and a republication of the original adventure.
Yes, from all I gathered so far, this seems to be the case. - But maybe, if this one sells well, we get other updated scenarios, like, say, House on Gryphon Hill, When Black Roses Bloom, or even Castles Forlorn.

Who knows...?

BTW, am I the only one who thinks this cover looks crappy? :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I wish I could see a larger version of the cover. From the one they posted it looks like Strahd's expression is... confused? sarcastic?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I don't care for the cover either, but it looks like it's the new trend for WotC. They appear to be back in the business of publishing adventures. Look at Red Hand of Doom's cover, and also the next adventure after Castle Ravenloft, Scourge of the Howling Horde. It also looks like the covers from all the miniatures mini-adventures they have published in the last year.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Pariah
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Pariah »

I understand Strahd was redone in Dragon magazine as some sort of near demi-god with a HUGE CR.
Good! Strahd was too weak to be horrifying. Though I never saw this magazine...I sort of fear they may have made him TOO powerful now. WotC does seem to have some difficulties keeping things in the realm of moderation (one of my problems as well unfortunately..).
I wish I could see a larger version of the cover. From the one they posted it looks like Strahd's expression is... confused? sarcastic?
He looks like an actor does when he's done one scene too many times...disgusted and irritated. Strahd looks a tad bit horrified to be in their hands again too if I don't say so myself..

At least they didn't update his clothing sytle to be all hip and jazzed up like the vampires in Queen of the Damned or Underworld :? Oh the horror saves...
This campaign arc adventure is designed for characters of levels 6–10 and features a new, easy-to-use combat encounter format. This book also presents new magic items, feats, and prestige classes for player characters.
It doesn't come with stats for Strahd, he's just so powerful when the party encounters him you just say, "and you lose. Good campaign ladies and gentlemen." The book also comes with a cane to beat off angry players too, just in case.

Though I do wonder how many more feats, prestige classes and magic items WotC can keep coming up with...this would be impressive if it wasn't such a waste of space :x
Kill one man and you're a murderer.
Kill ten men and you're a monster.
Kill one hundred and you're a hero.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

gonzoron wrote:I wish I could see a larger version of the cover. From the one they posted it looks like Strahd's expression is... confused? sarcastic?
I can't make out his face. Is he bald?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

It looks to me as if the shadowed side of his face is actually skeletal, which would account for the baldness and the twisted expression.

Of course, the picture quality isn't all that great, so it's probably just my overactive imagination.

It is, at the very least, an unflattering likeness. :Strahd:

EDIT: Well, so much for that in-joke. How do I get the Strahd emoticon?
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

:Strahd:

You need to click on the view more emoticons link.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Huh. Apparently, "Strahd" and "strahd" are not the same thing for emoticon purposes. The first works, the second doesn't. Let that be a lesson to you, fellow emoticoners.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, gearing up for another looong winter...

Post by Ronia Sun »

Hmmm. Can't see the cover well enough to judge...

But I'm not sure I want to pay forty dollars for an adventure! Not when I can download the original for free and retailor it for 3.5 my own self...

Still, perhaps it's a hopeful sign that WotC won't allow Ravenloft to die? In which case, perhaps I ought to contribute to the books sales, in the feeble hope that, if it does well, WotC will relicense Ravenloft...

Bleargh.
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

ewancummins wrote: I understand Strahd was redone in Dragon magazine as some sort of near demi-god with a HUGE CR. Oh, and they left out his entire background. We all know background material is a waste of space, when more PRCs , feats, and stat block
You mean the dragon article that presented the update of the original stats and a slightly increased class one (CR 18 IIRC) with full pages of strategy and method combines with maps of the castle.
You know, compared to the Gaz I where he's CR 21 and his history is omitted.
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, gearing up for another looong winter...

Post by Ronia Sun »

Oh, he's a CR 21 in the Secrets of the Dread Realms, too. I recall staring at that and thinking, "Good grief, he's tougher than the tarrasque!"
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett