Five Fists of Science

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Five Fists of Science

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

I really shouldn't be posting here, as I've not read the first thing of MotRD, but...

Who has read the new graphic novel The Five Fists of Science? I've just finished reading it, and it seems like it'd be perfect for ripping MotRD ideas from. From the author's website:
“The Five Fists of Science is the story of Mark Twain and Nikola Tesla teaming up to bring about world peace by compulsion-- and how that peace will interfere with the plans of an evil science cabal led by Thomas Edison,” says writer Matt (LAST OF THE INDEPENDENTS) Fraction. “An all-out war between magic and science is fought on the streets of New York City in 1899, and it is an absolutely true story, up to a point.”
I've just finished reading it, and it's a beautiful piece of historical fiction, keeping true to the personalities of both Twain and Tesla. And while it won't go into MotRD perfectly, as the horror doesn't have even a hint of gothic flavor, it seems like it should be easy to modify or just plain be a good source for some plot ideas.

Just looking to get people's opinions, if they've read it. I mostly thought of this as, with Tesla vs Edison, it reminded me of a really old MotRD idea from the RAVENLOFT-L mailing list centered around Edison's vicious public relations attacks on Tesla's Alternating Current (AC) electricity, even though Edison's Direct Current (DC) was and is far more dangerous. Edison, in the real world, had worked to get the first electric chair rigged up with AC to prove how dangerous it was; the first victim of the electric chair came back as a ghost to wreak revenge on Edison using him as a pawn in his machinations against Tesla.

Just thought Five Fists of Science might be something interesting for people to check out that is likely under the radar for most people.
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Blake_Alexander »

Thanks for the heads up Lord Cyclohexane. The book would have gone unnoticed by me if it wasn't for your post. Now it will be something I'll have to look into.
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

I picked it up on your recommendation, and I like it. The storytelling gets slightly confusing at times, but it's great fun. And you're right that it's not even remotely Ravenloftian; if anything, it's Ghostbusters in a pulp Victorian setting with heavy Lovecraft influences (the cultists are wearing the elder sign, after all). But as I said, it's great fun and filled with characters and plots for Masque.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe