La Maison Soulombre: Entrances

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:The Falkovnian curses once in his own guttural langauge and Buchvold hear the chair scrape. "Ah, yes..." Lacomte says, half-smiling. "You may terminate the spell now, Master Buchvold. First of all, where did you and I first have dinner with Lord de Casteele? Second, what advice did I give you after your first interview to advance within the Fraternity?"

The Falkovnian stares at Buchvold as he releases the spell, his hard face impassive. "Also," he says, in near-perfect Balok, "tell us where and how you have spent the last six months, including the names of any brothers who can vouch for your whereabouts and actions."
"Two years, three months ago approximately, at the university." Buchvold answers Lacomte's question "And you advised me to consider more esoteric material for future study"

"As for my travelling, I spent some time in Borca to start with, as Rosnel can verify then I travelled through Darkon, stopping at the Bruitslavia Institute, which can be verified there. After that I went to Sithicus, in order to acquire a ... sensitive item. Since then..." the Borcan lists several other domains he has travelled to since Sithicus, giving the names of Fraternity members were appropriate.
"Is that all?" The Borcan is still looking at Lacomte, sparing not a glance at the Falknovian
Last edited by Moral Machivelli on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

As if I could ever forget that, the professor thought, recalling the grim turn of that particular conversation. She replied, “The Golden Nightingale, and I lent you my handkerchief.”

She paused to go back in time six months, and work her way forward. “November…I went back home to Paridon; my husband, and Brother, Rupert Kingsley can confirm that. I spoke to the local chapter of the Fraternity there; Esteemed Brother Alfred Larner can confirm that, as well as my husband Brother Kingsley.

I went to Ludendorf in early December, and was briefly held up by a blizzard. I left for Nevuchar Springs, stopping one afternoon at the Brautslava Institute to see if there had been any updates on the situation.” Another couple of names. “I reached Nevuchar Springs on December 19, and stayed until January 3. While there, I was studying the Ezran and elven shrines, and spoke to Bastion Raines. I met Brother Crow there one morning.”

She smiled as she continued. “In early January, I received a letter from Esteemed Brother Larner. I left, having to cancel a meeting in mid-January with Brother Serd. I made my way to Port-a-Lucine, where I met you. I was in bed for the next two weeks,” she said, somber now. “I then got in touch with the local sect of Ezra, and met up a few times with Brother Hartly.

“I arrived in Souragne March 17, and have been gathering information and writing about the local church of Ezra for the sake of the coming survey. I saw Esteemed Brother Hazan briefly at Le Coq Noir; I was speaking to the Larouches about their interesting ancestors.”

She looked quizzically at the Countess. “Is there anything else you'd like to know?"
Last edited by Pamela on Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Moral Machivelli wrote: "Two years, three months ago approximately"
OOC: Er...the question was actually "where"...

IC: "Your trip to Sithicus," the Falkovnian says. "Were you accompanied? Did you meet anyone while there? And what do you mean by 'sensitive item'?"

Lacomte nods slightly, indicating that he's backing the Falkovnian in his queries. "I have one question, myself. Have you been approached by anyone claiming to be a member unknown to you, or persons not of the Fraternity who had questions about Fraternity business?"
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Llana wrote: She looked quizzically at the Countess. “Is there anything else you'd like to know?"
"Esteemed Brother Larner, your husband, Brother Hartly--the tall one, yes?...Who is Brother Crow? I don't think I recognize the name."

The expression on the Countess' face is one of mild curiousity, but Gertrude is suddenly very aware of Iago, standing somewhere behind her. "Were you approached by anyone claiming to be a member of the Fraternity, Professor? Or asked by anyone not of the Fraternity about Fraternity matters?"
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Nathan of the FoS wrote:
Moral Machivelli wrote: "Two years, three months ago approximately"
OOC: Er...the question was actually "where"...

IC: "Your trip to Sithicus," the Falkovnian says. "Were you accompanied? Did you meet anyone while there? And what do you mean by 'sensitive item'?"

Lacomte nods slightly, indicating that he's backing the Falkovnian in his queries. "I have one question, myself. Have you been approached by anyone claiming to be a member unknown to you, or persons not of the Fraternity who had questions about Fraternity business?"
OOC:Doh :oops:

IC: Buchvold still refuses to spare even a glance at the Falknovian.

"I was unaccompanied at the begining of the trip, save for my valet. Whirlst there, I met a mercanerey,with whom I had conducted prior Coraspondance. His skills were nesecary to retreave the item. The item is in my case of items, feel free to examine it. You will find that it radiates divination magic, as that is its power's orogin."

"I was approached by one person caliming to be a member, whom I was not certian was a legitimate member, but that was verified, and it turned out he was indead. I am quite certian that no non-members of the Fraternity approached me with enquieries."

"Are their any more questions?"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

"With your permission, M'sieur Lacomte," the Falkovnian says, standing and moving toward the door. The old curator motions to him to be still, his green eyes--still sharp and clear in his wrinkled face--considering Buchvold closely as he asks his next question. "This brother you mention...what was his name?"
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Nathan of the FoS wrote:"With your permission, M'sieur Lacomte," the Falkovnian says, standing and moving toward the door. The old curator motions to him to be still, his green eyes--still sharp and clear in his wrinkled face--considering Buchvold closely as he asks his next question. "This brother you mention...what was his name?"
"Crow was the only one he was willing to give sir. However, I verified his backstory through fraternity records."
Last edited by Moral Machivelli on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Moral Machivelli wrote:
Nathan of the FoS wrote:"With your permission, M'sieur Lacomte," the Falkovnian says, standing and moving toward the door. The old curator motions to him to be still, his green eyes--still sharp and clear in his wrinkled face--considering Buchvold closely as he asks his next question. "This brother you mention...what was his name?"
"Crow was the only one he was willing to give sir. However, I verified his backstory through fraternity records.
"That's...interesting," Lacomte says, his brow furrowing briefly. "I'm not sure I've met a Brother Crow...you'll have to point him out to me. It's good to hear that documentation was available; tell me, how did you go about verifying his information? It's a great problem of ours, now, and every good idea is welcome."

As he speaks Lacomte fetches down a heavy, brass-bound book from a library shelf and opens it. "We'll go to examine your Sithican find in a moment," he says, smiling. "But this is what I wanted to show you." Taking a sheet of parchment from the book, he shows Buchvold the intricate diagram of a watchworks. "I do think it may be from the working notes of Klorr himself."
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

The hairs on the back of Gertrude’s neck began to rise at Iago’s proximity. Part of it was worry, but also the Zherisian distaste for physical familiarity from strangers. “Brother Crow was present at the Richemulot meeting; he and Brother Buchvold were responsible for salvaging many of the library’s books that night. Brother Hartly was indeed the tall Mordentish professor.”

She thought of Tao’s letter. Written, yes; approached… She shook her head in answer to the first question and then paused as if remembering something. “There were a couple of inquiries into de Balfour’s health and the fire at le Manoir, while I was in Port-a-Lucine. These were a couple of anchorites I was interviewing; I believe it was mere idle curiosity. I made polite noises about how sad it had all been but also turned the conversation away from the topic. They didn’t pursue the matter any further.”
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Nathan of the FoS wrote:
Moral Machivelli wrote:
"Crow was the only one he was willing to give sir. However, I verified his backstory through fraternity records.
"That's...interesting," Lacomte says, his brow furrowing briefly. "I'm not sure I've met a Brother Crow...you'll have to point him out to me. It's good to hear that documentation was available; tell me, how did you go about verifying his information? It's a great problem of ours, now, and every good idea is welcome."

As he speaks Lacomte fetches down a heavy, brass-bound book from a library shelf and opens it. "We'll go to examine your Sithican find in a moment," he says, smiling. "But this is what I wanted to show you." Taking a sheet of parchment from the book, he shows Buchvold the intricate diagram of a watchworks. "I do think it may be from the working notes of Klorr himself."
"It was hard in this case, because the story he gave would not have any documentation. (He gave quite a valid reason, but none the less..) However, their was one minor point he mentioned that I was able to verify. He had some knowledge of another members Fraternity publications. Those would not be accessible to any but a Fraternity member. I checked up on the publications in question (They were sent to be reviewed by Esteemed Brother Toyran). The knowledge was utterly accurate.

"Amazing" the find had managed to completely take Buchvold aback. "I believe you are right. I once acquired an extract from Klorr's diary. The handwriting is identical However..." He pauses, as he examines the diagrams on the sheet, it looks like nothing I have previously seen of the man's work. Bares some resemblance to his Tim..."

The Borcan stares, in utter wonder

"Is it possible..." he stutters out "That this is?..."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Moral Machivelli wrote:
"It was hard in this case, because the story he gave would not have any documentation. (He gave quite a valid reason, but none the less..) However, their was one minor point he mentioned that I was able to verify. He had some knowledge of another members Fraternity publications. Those would not be accessible to any but a Fraternity member. I checked up on the publications in question (They were sent to be reviewed by Esteemed Brother Toyran). The knowledge was utterly accurate.
"No documentation! What was his story, then?" As Buchvold continues Lacomte's surprise and displeasure abate noticeably; he says, mostly to himself, "Well, then. If Esteemed Brother Toyran..."
"Amazing" the find had managed to completely take Buchvold aback. "I believe you are right. I once acquired an extract from Klorr's diary. The handwriting is identical However..." He pauses, as he examines the diagrams on the sheet, it looks like nothing I have previously seen of the man's work. Bares some resemblance to his Tim..."

The Borcan stares, in utter wonder

"Is it possible..." he stutters out "That this is?..."
"Perhaps," Lacomte says, smiling. "There's not enough here to attempt a re-creation on this basis alone--you see the note here in the corner, 3/5, which might indicate diagram 3 of 5, although Brother Vedarrak here thinks it's probably a date."

"Yes," the Falkovnian replies; he is in a far corner pouring himself a whisky on the rocks. "I think it is a scratch page--probably very preliminary. Still of great interest, of course. Anything to drink for you gentlemen?"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Llana wrote:These were a couple of anchorites I was interviewing; I believe it was mere idle curiosity. I made polite noises about how sad it had all been but also turned the conversation away from the topic. They didn’t pursue the matter any further.”
"Yes, I believe you mentioned something of it at the time," the Countess says, nodding. "What is it, Iago?"

The Borcan has retreated to the window, where he stands looking out with a faint expression of distaste on his features; he shakes his head slightly (at which the Countess nods), makes what might with great charity be considered a bow, and steps out into the hallway.

The Countess continues, "Now, for my news. The Shadowcloak will be here, at this meeting; I spoke to him briefly this morning and was able to mention your work on the Ezran mind-set favorably. I think it likely," here the Countess lays one slim hand on the mantle of the fireplace*, "that he will approach you with questions on your research."

*"Touch stone" is the Darkonese equivalent of "touch wood."<--And yes, I just made that up. :azalin:
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude wondered at the Borcan’s strange behaviour, but of course said nothing. I suppose it’s enough that I’ve passed the test, though he certainly didn’t seem very happy about it. Perhaps it's been a while since he's had a chance to pummel someone thoroughly...

Her curiosity was quickly diverted by the meeting she'd been seeking. Her face lit up, and she herself made the gesture, laughing lightly. I’ll take all the luck I can get… “That’s wonderful news!” She had not forgotten the Countess’ warning, however, and that tempered her joy. “Have all the Fathers come then?”
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

"Oh, no," the Countess replies, shaking her head. "The Shadowcloak and Father Mikkelson will be here--are here already, I should say--and the other Fathers will be looking in regularly, of course; but I don't expect to see the others here in person. Are there any presentations you are particularly looking forward to?"
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

“A shame, then,” Gertrude replied, though it did make much sense. It wouldn’t be wise to have them all gathered together- it would attract too much attention. “I’m most interested in the Voodan presentation of course; any insights into their practices is always appreciated. I’m also curious about Souragne’s history and worldview; but then, I am a sociologist.” She’d never had much interest in the ‘hard sciences’ or the technical details of magic, though she was aware of their worth; she was a sorcerer after all. To each, their own… Not that she wouldn’t attend as many of the lectures as she could.

"I've also heard that Brother Buchvold is presenting a lecture On Belief, and Arcana towards furthering his own promotion. I'm very intrigued by that..." And the possibility of seeing how well he'll do...

“And yourself? Are there any which have caught your eye?”
Last edited by Pamela on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.