Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: Catching Up

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Dustform creature [ Sandstorm ]
"The corpse in the white robes was the last of the three. Claude fired his crossbow at it, but it was too fast: One moment, it was creeping about the fallen statues, and then the next, it clawed Michael's chest as Claude's arrow clattered among the rocks. As we drew our swords, it clambered to the top of a pillar to address us.
""Vandals! Why have you come to this place to murder my comrades Rahad and Hamuk?"
"Claude stepped forward as I cradled Michael.
""We came to these ruins to find the Spear of Dagon, to stop the monster Ishud," Claude angrily shouted. "We were attacked and we had to def-"
""High Priest Ishud? A monster? How can you speak of the high priest like that?"
""The high priest rises from his tomb each night to prey on the villagers," I added.
""I can not allow vandals to steal the holy relic I guard to murder the high priest!" And with that, it drew a blackened horn from its blood-spattered robes, and brought it to its lipless mouth. As the trumpet's piercing note sounded through the air, clouds of sand boiled out of the cracks and crevasses. Just as we thought we would suffocate, the clouds of sand congealed into a mass of writhing, snapping, tawny horse-sized lizards. And with a grandiose sweep of its bony arm, the white-robed corpse shouted: "There shall be no mercy to the blasphemers! Tear them to pieces!""

-from the journal of Jerome Delacroix, Mordentish explorer
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Deep hound [Races of Stone]

“The dwarves we met for trade in those caverns were not very friendly, and didn’t offer us any of their famous ale, but at least they were honest. When we set the terms of the trade after long discussions, a monstrously large hound effortlessly dragged the metal chunks outside, where we took property of it. You should have seen it, this hound was bigger then a bull!”

- a merchant tale in Darkon
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Devil, Styx (amnizu) [Monster Manual II]
Devil, Styx: One entered Ravenloft during the Grand Conjunction and posed as Henri Melano, the mayor of Chateaufaux – (Chilling Tales)

“Mayor Melano wasn’t very good for us, no. He changed the laws so often it was difficult to keep track of the edict and all the new taxes. But his Black Watch has been dissolved, and now it’s much better. What’s really bad is that many people from the region now have a terrible opinion of our city. That’s bad for trade, you know… Say what? Those rumours about him actually being a monster? Don’t believe them, they are ridiculous. I saw the mayor often with my own eyes, as I see you now, and he wasn’t such a thing. Who told you that? Zazette?”

- Madame Grier’s tale, short after a new mayor was appointed by the Council. She owns the Laughing Pig Inn in Chateaufaux

(These NPCs are from Chilling Tales)
Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Elder Brain

Post by cure »

ELDER BRAIN

-“The bumpkin believes that I am bluffing, believes that he can read my face. When I know his mind!”
-“Ah, the electricity of first contact, of primal fear.”
-“The thoughts are exotic, not Thaani in the least.”
-“Feel us Marcus, see us Marcus, be us Marcus, be one.”
-“Artur, take us out of this light. We must be united.”
-“Beasts that presume to judge the butcher. Severed from the sun, you will be reborn better.”
-“Lidia, it is Marcus. Do not resist us. Join your knowledge to our power.”

Reveries of the God-Brain of Blutspur concerning a psionic card sharp who lost his mind
Last edited by cure on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The cure for what ails you
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Fear Weed

Post by cure »

FEAR WEED

"Fear weed, Runco vereor, is something of a misnomer. Unfortunately, madness weed, Runco rabies, is little better. In any case, the candles were the success that I had expected. For obvious reasons living bees would not readily do the work thus a hive was slain and infused with my potency. Its members gathered the pollen, embedding it in their wax. The wax was cast into shape, the steak knives were honed to a razor’s edge, and thus I was well armed to meet over dinner the arguments of La Société de la raison éclairée."

-Passage from Lord of Necropolis, a forged and calumnious autobiographical parody of the life of Azalin Rex
Last edited by cure on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Joël of the FoS

Re: Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: Catching Up

Mangrum wrote:Doom guard [Fiend Folio]
I don't find this one ? Do you mean the Caryatid Column?
Joël of the FoS

Dokufu (mountain spider) [Oriental Adventures]

“In this wicked land of I’Cath, we were chasing what we first thought was a hag when we entered this nightmare. Really, this was much worse then a hag hunt. The old lady wasn’t a hag, which in itself would have been terrible, but she was a supernatural creature able to shape change into a terrible, huge dark spider!

When we fought this monstrous spider, the beast swallowed poor Anthony whole! I still hear his scream of pain when I think about how it happened. Then the monster vomited spiders at our face, and fled as the two paladins came to the fight. We destroyed the tiny spiders but we never found the huge spider fiend. It probably left the region, or waited until we left I’Cath.

However, what is worse is for Helen. We were able to rescue her alive from this spider’s den, but three days later, she was found dead in her bed, a lot of blood around her and a huge hole in her belly, like if something has crawled out of her shattered body… I can’t stand spiders since then, they give me the creeps…”

- a priest’s tale in Nova Vaasa

(IMHO, this particular monster is mindboggingly cool)
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:
Sorry -- the monster is the doom guard, which originated in second edition as a Ravenloft monster. It's listed in FF as the "dread guard."
Joël of the FoS

Mangrum wrote:
Joël of the Fraternity wrote:
Sorry -- the monster is the doom guard, which originated in second edition as a Ravenloft monster. It's listed in FF as the "dread guard."
I know, I remember reading this when you posted the "D"s. However, the 3.0 FF doesn't seem to have any entry with Dread, Doom or Guard ?
Joël of the FoS

OK, I think I found it: is it the one in MM II?

Joël
Joël of the FoS

Doom guard [Monster Manual II]

“At the annual bal of the King in Avernus, we once tried to sneak and explore this famously fascinating castle to find things we could steal, or information we could sell. But we didn’t go very far from the main room, as a seemingly harmless suit of armour suddenly chased us back to the ballroom… This armour set was empty, but it moved and brandished a rusty sword. We didn't want to attract attention with the noise of a fight. We were luckier with our skills on the guests instead.”

- A thief’s tale in Darkon

(Cheeze ;), 40 000 gp cost to fabricate one of these 27 hp creature?)
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Ah, yes. Not sure how I ended up with the Fiend Folio label; I actually had it right in the file itself.

At any rate, we're on page three, so here's the updated list.

B
Done! Bogeyman, Alligator Lenny [Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends]

D
Dharculus [Planar Handbook]
Dread warrior [Monsters of Faerûn]
Done! Dream vestige [Libris Mortis]
Dustblight [Sandstorm]

E
Effigy [Monster Manual II]
Elemental, corrupted [new]
Elemental grue, air [Complete Arcane]
Elemental grue, earth [Complete Arcane]
Elemental grue, fire [Complete Arcane]
Elemental grue, water [Complete Arcane]
Elemental, undead, cinderspawn [Libris Mortis]
Elemental, undead, desiccator [Libris Mortis]
Elemental, undead, voidwraith [Libris Mortis]
Elemental monolith [Complete Arcane]
Elementite swarm, air [Planar Handbook]
Elementite swarm, earth [Planar Handbook]
Elementite swarm, fire [Planar Handbook]
Elementite swarm, water [Planar Handbook]
Ephemera, dusk beast [Manual of the Planes]
Ephemera, ecalypse [Manual of the Planes]
Ephemera, umbral banyan [Manual of the Planes]
Ethereal marauder [Monster Manual]
Ethereal slayer [Monster Manual II]
Done! Evolved undead [Libris Mortis]

F
Done! Fetch, dread [Carnival]
Fiendish symbiont: fiendish familiar [Fiend Folio]
Fiendish symbiont: gutworm [Fiend Folio]
Fiendish symbiont: soul tick [Fiend Folio]
Done! Fumewood termite [Book of Sacrifices/Spectre of the Black Rose]
Last edited by Mangrum on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Fumewood Termite

Post by cure »

FUMEWOOD TERMITE

The employment of the Fumewood termite, native to the Fumewood logically enough, is essentially limited to Sithicus. Binding and gagging an individual in the immediate vicinity of a colony, while effective, is unambitious, unless there is some pressing need to be rid completely of both flesh and bone. It is better to bring a witless subject into the presence of a swarm, affording a good show and a better alibi. More recommendable still, with some time and privacy, is to introduce a single termite into the arm of a properly restrained victim. The movement of the creature under the skin can be appreciated, the pain is sharply focused, and death comes slowly. But a case can also be made for the nose, the ear or even the eye. And with a few spares at hand, albeit not literally, the cheek or mouth are also worthy of consideration.

-Torture Techniques both Old and New, dissertation of Lydel Dilisnya, doctoral student at the Brautslava Institute
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Right. I can't take it anymore. Here goes:

Bogeyman, Alligator Lenny [Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends]

There was a humming, and a buzzing, and the sound of something big breathing behind them, and Katerina saw the red eyes of the Alligator Man burning as he looked up at them from the storm sewer. "Walk a little faster, Papa," she said, clutching her daisies tighter. "There's a bad man down there." And she pointed to where the red eyes gleamed.

"Little Katerina," her father said, smiling. "There's no bad man. That's just the lantern light on the puddles."

Katerina did not reply; she had already concluded that her father was not going to be of much help to her in this matter.

This version of the story, Richemulot 733, offers more circumstantial detail than most--names and realistic detail, more consciously literary. Not clear whether this makes it more or less likely to be an original account. File with "Alligator Lenny" stories.

Hans Gleam, private notes
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Re: Fear Weed

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

cure wrote:"Fear weed, vereor runco, is something of a misnomer. Unfortunately, madness weed, rabies runco, is little better...."
Sorry to quibble, but if we're assuming Ravenloft's biologists follow their equivalent of the IRL taxonomic system, that should probably be Runco vereor and Runco rabies (or R. rabies for short), if you're assuming the two plant-species are related. Genus name before species, with genus capitalized, is standard in taxonomy. :?

Of course, we could rule that Ravenloft's biological nomenclature isn't the same as IRL Earth's; however, Genus species is a format that's equally recognizable to fans all over the IRL world, and has turned up in other Ravenloft fan-fiction IIRC.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow