Paradise Found, a Ravenloft inspired Webcomic

Books, movies, television and everything else
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Paradise Found, a Ravenloft inspired Webcomic

Post by Undead Cabbage »

I have a confession to make: the Zherisia Gazetteer is not the only project that I've been working lately... :oops:

www.NecromanticWasteProduct.com

It's not set in Ravenloft, but I think you guys can catch onto where I've borrrowed a couple of ideas.

My friend and I are going for something along the same lines as the Dorothy Gale's Adventure into Oz. It's currently up to 13 pages, and will be updating weekly.

What do you guys think?
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Some of this looks familiar.... :wink:

Bravo, Cabby- well done! :)
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Si
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Si »

We had some MAJOR upgrades done this afternoon, it would have been wise to do them at night when noone was affected, but they are done now and the site is back up and stable again! Enjoy!
~Si~
doonziticus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by doonziticus »

A great comic, I enjoy it!
Brandon
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

A bit angsty in the beginning for my tastes, but the art os interesting and it seems to pick up once the Black Widow section starts. I like the line "goodie good gumdrops", we used to say that when we were kids, lol.

BTW, love the rose borded to it all, you must have alot of patience to have worked on all of that. I was planning a similar surround for my tarot deck, but I got fed up designing it, so it was back to the drawing doard for me, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Pariah
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Pariah »

You should see how much time he spends on the thing. All week it's study, draw, study, draw, study, draw, study, draw. Then Friday comes around and he just gets wasted :P

Rinse and repeat!

(I'm his roommate, by the way ;))

Keep it going Cabbage! :P
Kill one man and you're a murderer.
Kill ten men and you're a monster.
Kill one hundred and you're a hero.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

That's pretty delirious but I like it. I like underground black comics.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

Have to concur that 'twas a touch heavy on the angst at the begining. Not that I don't like that from time to time, but it does tend to grate on the nerves when taken too far.

However, I'm fairly interested in the work overall. Not going to give a yay or nay quite yet. Something paced like this, I don't really start to form any solid opinions until about the 50th page, and I tend to reserve any final judgements until about page 75 or so. I will make sure to keep an eye on this for a while.
I think we're property...
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
That Something (now) owns this earth -- all others warned off. -Charles Fort
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

^awakes up from the netherworld^

Whoa! Hi everybody. I know, long time no see...
You should see how much time he spends on the thing. All week it's study, draw, study, draw, study, draw, study, draw. Then Friday comes around and he just gets wasted

Rinse and repeat!
:oops: What can I say; I like routine.

YAY! I'm so glad you guys checked it out. On the note of angst, the stuff in Mirror on the Wall is pretty much it for a good long while. Destiny matured significantly when she went through the glass.
BTW, love the rose borded to it all, you must have alot of patience to have worked on all of that. I was planning a similar surround for my tarot deck, but I got fed up designing it, so it was back to the drawing doard for me, lol.
As tedious as roses are, its the bricks that make me want to break stuff. Roses you get a rythmn for: bricks are just down right monotonous.

Again, I'm really happy you guys tried it out an liked it, and thank you for the compliments. Next update is this monday! We finally get to see Destiny's 'Master'.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Don't talk to me about bricks, I hate drawing them!!! Hell, I made a model cottage once and it was made from individual bricks, it was a nightmare!!!! Roses are easier once you got them worked out, but they are still annoying, just better than bricks. Maybe you should try to tone down the backgrounds a bit? Sketch them less uniform and then take the sharpee to it ;)

That's what I used to do for the small press comix i produced years ago.
Swallow your soul!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Very cool, Mr Burke. I did catch the last weeks.

I'd like to know why your hero isn't mad with the doll, since she opened the Paradise Found universe to her, and that is where she got turned into a prostitute-assassin? She is pretty cool reacting to all that :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

I'd like to know why your hero isn't mad with the doll, since she opened the Paradise Found universe to her, and that is where she got turned into a prostitute-assassin? She is pretty cool reacting to all that Smile

Joël
Mainly because she doesn't think its the Dolls fault. Destiny is a very naive person, thinking that her childhood toy would never do anything to harm her (in spite of what we've seen Sally do). Instead she blames Xax.

An important thing to keep in mind: As far as Destiny is concerned, where she is right now is just another step onto finding her Paradise, even though it is technically her Paradise Found. And if she were to somehow find a place much more appealing to her than Dalton City, she still would want to escape it. If she were to ever obtain her Paradise, she probably wouldn't recognize it, and then try to leave it for something better. It's an idea that I've tried to get across, but really at about 40pages of comic PF is still regrettably in its developmental stages.
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Very nice Undead Cabbage! The artwork is wonderful, the storyline is kinda strange, but totally perfect for Ravenloft.

Have you ever approached any publishers with your ideas? :?:
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Very nice Undead Cabbage! The artwork is wonderful, the storyline is kinda strange, but totally perfect for Ravenloft.

Have you ever approached any publishers with your ideas? Question
Thank you :D.

No I haven't approached any publishers yet. It would be awesome to sell out hard copies of the comic once it builds up a larger enough fan base. But my biggest worries about going to publishers is that it wouldn't be excepted, and that I would be required to make more than one page a week. Currently I'm a uni student trying to get into Veterinary College, so Paradise Found is just something I do on the side. I also fear that it would be censored incredibly, but this just might be my lack of faith in north american media.
ooooo, Mr. Burke, I feel official now :D . Thank you for reading it everyone, and for your kind words.
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Undead Cabbage wrote:

Have you ever approached any publishers with your ideas? Question
Thank you :D.

No I haven't approached any publishers yet. It would be awesome to sell out hard copies of the comic once it builds up a larger enough fan base. But my biggest worries about going to publishers is that it wouldn't be excepted, and that I would be required to make more than one page a week. Currently I'm a uni student trying to get into Veterinary College, so Paradise Found is just something I do on the side. I also fear that it would be censored incredibly, but this just might be my lack of faith in north american media.
Well, if you're concerned about censorship, I would try one of the smaller independent comic publishers, like CHAOS, or Avatar, who publishes Lady Death comics. Many of Avatar's comics in particular are gothic/horror theamed so you should have no trouble "fitting in" with what they're doing. Since the comics are independently produced, the writers/artists are given more freedom, there are no advertisements (except for previews for Avatar's other comics). The only possible drawback to Avatar's books is that because they don't recieve "mainstream" financial support, some of their individual issues are shorter than at a large company like Marvel or DC, who would have the resources to produce huge issues. Avatar does a lot of mini-series for each comic, rather than having monthly issues per say, which would work well with your schedule.

But before you make a decision about contacting any specific publishers, you should read a couple of issues of comics from various houses to find out what's currently popular, what each publisher likes, who to contact ect. Once you've decided about who you want to approach, you should make up a general query letter which introduces yourself, mentions your website, any other comic book-type experience you've had and finally an extremely general outline of the plot. You could, if you wanted, also include two or three samples of your artwork, printed out on really good quality paper. (Don't send originals, you probably won't ever get them back.) Don't reveal everything about your book: your goal here is to give them just enough to be interested in you, not to give them ideas to write their own original books without you. The letter/artwork submissions should be as professional-looking as possible so that your work won't get rejected, and you might want to consider having getting an Agent to help you with it, or buying some type of computer formatting software to ensure you get the right format for the letter.

As a former Veterinary student myself, I can absolutely appreciate what you are going through in school. I wish you the best of luck, you're extremely talented and have many great and interesting things ahead of you. :D
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"