Blessed Paladin

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hallow
Conspirator
Conspirator

Blessed Paladin

Post by Hallow »

Allright, the wizard in my party dies, so I tell him "Go over to that table over there and roll up a level 5 character" (He died 3 times allrety, and didn't want to come back, or waste any of the Ghetto party's resoures.)
So I cut off the adventure half an hour later, and he's got this goofy smile on his face and he says "You ever read the Blessed Paladin?"
Of course, you know where this is going. S**thead makes a Pal 4/Blessed Pally 1.

Basicly I'm questioning what to do about this little fella. What should i do with him, i cant deside, Temp him with Blackguard-Hood? How?
I never was too fond of messing with a Lawful Good Paladin, but of course, this IS ravenloft, and i want to have some fun, playing with his morallity, and see if he can keep in character.

Also- with last stand, I thought it best to be a one-Time Deal...
So he doesnt go on a darklord killing spree (He read the Novel Heart of Midnight, and was so kind as to tell me he was going for Lukas first =( :lucas: And i think he knows that ol' Harkon is my fav darklord.)

What would/What have you done to or with a paladin or a blessed paladin in your party?

Edited by Dion of the Fraternity; censored reference to cranial poo so the little kiddies won't gasp in horror. ;) )
Just like the Pied Piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes
Swaying to the Symphony of Destruction
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

No one's ever dared to play a Paladin (blessed or not) in my game.
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

What have you done to or with a paladin or a blessed paladin in your party?
Nothing much; I've let my characters play RL paladins openly as in any other campaign setting, with me giving the players pre-game advice that being a RL paladin isn't gonna be easy.

However, in my games I don't tempt paladins with darklord-hood. It would be much easier (and more humiliating) for the character to die and come back as a Walking Dead.
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

First off I would have burned that %$## book before any of my players got thier hands on it. Other then a FEW good NPCS and secret sociaties (Both strictly DM eyes only sections IMO) that book offers nothing good for PCs.

Secondly I would ask just how the PC even knows who any of the darklords are. The blessed ability only lets you draw them out- it dosn't give you any idea who will show up.

And lastly I would hurt his reputation just as much as his faith. If he starts spouting out that old Harkon is a evil creature of the night be is going to get run out of just about every town for miles.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Well, if you're going to allow the Blessed Paladin class at all (and, to echo what most commenters have said and will say, I don't care for the class--"It's a paladin! Except holier!" Er, what?), keep in mind that in some ways it's a powerfully self-limiting class. You can't do the "call the Darklord" trick until 10th level in the class, so that puts that potential problem way down the line; and even if the BP gets there and wants to try this, well, Harkon Lukas is not a good choice for these monkey tricks.

So, the BP calls the Darklord, and Harkon Lukas comes. BP kills Harkon Lukas. Harkon Lukas appears somewhere else in a dire wolf.

Now what?

So, the BP calls him again (remember, he has to sacrifice 1 point of Wisdom each time, no saving throw, no alternative, no using wish to get it back.) And he kills Harkon again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Either Harkon Lukas kills him eventually, or he runs out of Wisdom; either way, a very non-exciting end to the BP's darklord-dueling career.

The Blessed Paladin really only works, IMO, when the character and the DM have arranged for the BP's summoning of a particular darklord as the end of a character or campaign arc; otherwise, using this ability is just hanging a sign around your neck that says "Dinner".
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

As stated above the "call 'em out" ability won't come into play for 9 more levels, and even then he'd likely have a tough time fighting most lords (he'd only be CR14!).

As for tempting him and the like, why? Really, why? Just because it's Ravenloft doesn't mean everyone should be hit where it hurts all the time.

The player has died three times already. Let him have some fun, let him play the hero and beacon of light for a while. Plenty of time to tarnish him later, no need to rush. Let both of you get a feel for the character first and then use the personality to define temptations and not the class.
Hallow
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hallow »

I take it not many people like that book...
The player has died three times already. Let him have some fun, let him play the hero and beacon of light for a while. Plenty of time to tarnish him later, no need to rush. Let both of you get a feel for the character first and then use the personality to define temptations and not the class.
Okay, good Idea. I think I shall do just that.... *Sigh* I'll go pick on another PC... :twisted:

Wolfweres be hungry.

Acutally, The only reason I thought to mess with him is how it talks about Darklords randomly allways knowing the presence of Pally's in their Domains in the Ravenloft Campain Setting, which never made much sence, because it strikes me that some Lords of Dark dont really care...
Just like the Pied Piper
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

And you will be the laboratory for this class :) Let us know how it goes in your game (so we can laugh too ;) )

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

The blessed paladin always struck me as a person who knows that they are doomed yet rails against the darkness because they are compelled to. Offer your player tastes of futility; let them know that they will one day die at the hands of their target. Tempt him with an easier way out at every turn. Odds are he will fall from grace...if he stays true you will have a most memorable campaign.
wolfgang_fener
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by wolfgang_fener »

I really don't like the idea of a DM whos goal is just to torment the players.

In our group our goal is to make a great story together. I draw inspiration for the game from my players and they do from my descriptions. That way the players feel they can shape the world even if their PCs always get in desperate situations. I would let a player play any kind of character class they whish to play if they asure me they have a good idea to make it fit well in the game and they have the inspiration to do something great with it.

For this exemple I would ask the player to fully develop the background of this new character. How and why did he become a paladin ? What horrible truth or secret is hiden in his heart to push him like that to this "profession" ? Details, details, details... All the little tools he will need later to develop the character and all the little hooks your vilains will use to torment him...

In any case, the players should feel involved in the game.

Exemple: it is hard especially for newbie players to accept the loss of levels coming from an undead attack but if it is done in a way that it makes a hell of a great gaming session (they took the hit but it saved the lives of someone else), the pill is easyer to swallow.

For sure, playing a paladin in RL is like being David against Goliath in a land where there's no stone... The very land is twisted. The Paladin will eventually kill the wrong people and learn about it too late... again and again... Some wise vilain will eventually convince him he is no better than those he wish to kill (and will receive some gift from the devil in exchange for this precious corruption). He will be put in situation where he becomes the source of injustice. Doubt and madness will always be right there in the corner, ready to consume him. If the player is a great role player and the DM does a great job, he could eventually end up comiting suicide (killing the enemy within)...

As a DM you can beat the hell out of the PCs...as long as the players are still having fun.

Still I say: drive him mad :twisted:

ps.: I would only let a player begin a PC above 1st level as a reward for exceptional roleplaying during the events surrounding the death of his last PC and even then, it would not be above level 3. I could also promote a friendly NPC to PC status by letting the player play it if he wish. That his of course just my own house rule.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

I don't mind the Blessed Paladin that much, but I've made one change to it in my games. The ability they have to call out the Darklord to fight them has been altered. In my games, the Paladin must learn the identity of the Darklord to call them. Thus, Darklords who hide in the shadows (Dominic d'Honaire, for example) must be discovered before the power works. Essentially, the Paladin must call out the Darklord by name to challenge them, and if they don't know the name (or get it wrong) then the power fails.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Paladin in RL is fun, and a good choice of PC; I was laughing at the BP as presented in the book. The "holier then holy" thing.
Mortavius wrote:I don't mind the Blessed Paladin that much, but I've made one change to it in my games. The ability they have to call out the Darklord to fight them has been altered. In my games, the Paladin must learn the identity of the Darklord to call them. Thus, Darklords who hide in the shadows (Dominic d'Honaire, for example) must be discovered before the power works. Essentially, the Paladin must call out the Darklord by name to challenge them, and if they don't know the name (or get it wrong) then the power fails.
That seems a good alteration, Mark. I like this change, it makes the whole PrC class a little more palatable.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

It'd be even more appropriate if calling out the wrong name invited some nasty supernatural backlash on the blessed paladin in question. :twisted:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Rotipher wrote:It'd be even more appropriate if calling out the wrong name invited some nasty supernatural backlash on the blessed paladin in question. :twisted:
"Stahd Von Zarovich"?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Hallow
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hallow »

wolfgang_fener wrote:I really don't like the idea of a DM whos goal is just to torment the players.
Gah, I hope that wasnt directed at me... if anything, they tourment ME... (When are we going to play ravenloft? Can i play a half-dragon dragonShaman? Can I look at that secrets book? ) But I love the game, and put up with my couple of morons.. Besides I love them to death.. ANYWAYS...

wolfgang_fener wrote: ps.: I would only let a player begin a PC above 1st level as a reward for exceptional roleplaying during the events surrounding the death of his last PC and even then, it would not be above level 3. I could also promote a friendly NPC to PC status by letting the player play it if he wish. That his of course just my own house rule.
See this would torment or get on my player's nerves..... They'd be quite weak, compared to the other PCS (the campain is @ 6 at the moment, actually.) And I myself would have one hell of a time keeping balance... 4 level 6 PCs and a level 1..... Sounds like breakfast...
Just like the Pied Piper