Expedition to CR - TABLE OF CONTENTS RELEASED!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:Well no, indeed, I do not think we will see this as "canon" with what's been written so far in 3e*, but we'll see what's in the book when it is out :)

* especially when I see "the three hags" under "the lands of Barovia" in the EtCR table of content :)
Actually I bet that's an explanation (finally) of what 3 witches are doing just hanging around in one of the spires of the castle. They got names as of House of Strahd, but not much background.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Sorti wrote:unless we want undead trains
Look, no offence but that is really a good idea. No kidding here. After all what's more ... shocking as to realise your beloved friend's or wife's body has been drawn out of its eternal place to... pull wagons so the necromancer doesn't have to worry about 1. feeding and tending horses 2. bandits.

As Azalin in the SotK said "Evil is at its worse when it is convenient"

The act is despicable, but go protest to the "merchant" that his way of gaining profit offends you and deepens your sorrow.

About the adventure:
It seem nice format to me. Too much detail for Strahd's home though. 110 pages on it. I guess we get a description for each rug Strahd has hanged over there.

Also one other thing: tactical encounters... Again, no random encounters for Ravenloft. Everything has to happen for a reason. There is no chance that a ghoul will decide to make a meal of you... it is the Dark Powers guiding it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

I really wonder what the new spell is, Damning Darkness ...
See Book of Vile Darkness. Nothing new. Take darkness and make it deal 2d6 vile damage. ;)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hell, I am really getting histerical about this one! :lucas:
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

I can't wait for it to be released! Only a couple days until early October!
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
~Alper, Kobold Alchemist in my Ravenloft Campaign
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I am pretty damn excited about this product, the only question to have is how many I should order for my store? I know at least one for me!
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

And you know what's the best: Apart from my upcoming Souragne expedition, I am looking forward to have a group to play it right away! :D U-LA-LA-LA!

[Please, can someone post a *w00t/dancing smilie* better than this one...? :wink: ]
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote: --Two legacy items (that I never though of before): the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind and the Sunsword.
This is awesome.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Absolutely NO reference to RL 3e.
I think you mean "absolutely NO reference to the RL campaign setting."
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

-copied from the Wizards board-

Hrm. Each encounter seems to be exactly two pages. I guess they have a very rigid layout going. A couple of the larger one have a few more pages, the big climaxes and the like.

The castle gets 20 pages, the villiage seems to be covered in 5 pages and the rest of the land in 7. That's just over 30 pages of descriptive text and background.
Compare that with the 110 pages needed to set-up the 9 or 10 combat/trap encounters.

And just look at some of the encounters. "Elf Ambush"? "Nymph Hideaway"?? Plus the no less than three zombie encounteres and additional ghoul attacks.

Two things that caught my eye:
* In the Adventure Hooks section there's a hook labeled "Relics of the Morninglord". That's a nice reference.
* Saint Markovia. Really?
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

I praise the whole outing.

To ease the worries of those mentioning how the Campaign setting is out, I will say this: Most players, except the very new, have already heard legends and tales of the Ravenloft campaign setting. When they hear about this, they will think of that. It is not like it is being kept a secret.

As for the 3e stuff: I would expect that after a couple of gaming groups play this, they will go rooting around for more info- and bam, there it will be waiting for them.

So while the ads may not be doing the setting justice, I think it will still bring new people into this setting, or remind older ones of it.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Jester of the FoS wrote:"Nymph Hideaway"?
What kind of "B" horror movie would that be, if there was no scene with a girl taking a shower? :lol:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Jakob wrote:
Jester of the FoS wrote:"Nymph Hideaway"?
What kind of "B" horror movie would that be, if there was no scene with a girl taking a shower? :lol:

This one?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005