PREVIEWS FOR EtCR RELEASED!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Well, Strahd is definetly not what I imagined him to look like (He's too... elven... and enraged...). Despite that, the artwork is gorgeous, and if you ignore a few small things (like 3-dragon ante...) then it seems to be an excellent module.

Wish this meant that they were going to be restarting Ravenloft. *sigh*
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

NeoTiamat wrote:
Wish this meant that they were going to be restarting Ravenloft. *sigh*
I have given this some thought and maybe they are kicking around the idea and seeing how well the module does. If it sells well, perhaps they will endevour to relaunch the campaign setting. But then again it could just be a holloween sales type thing. *shrug* Who knows, I think it would be nice to be a fly on the wall in the R and D department though.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

It is a first in a seires of expeditions, but they are a business. If there is an interest, it might spark something. I guess we'll see.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

*Looks at the Strahds picture and the respective excerpts...*

Woah! Ravenloft meets Castlevania!
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

tec-goblin wrote: She does. Actually it's one of the options, as said in last Dragon magazine, if I remember correctly.
*Fades*
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Rafael wrote:*Looks at the Strahds picture and the respective excerpts...*

Woah! Ravenloft meets Castlevania!
Hey, they stole the cover for Simon's Quest from I6, after all.

I got a chance to take a peek at EtCR in Border's yesterday. Didn't buy it because I'm waiting for it to show up at Barnes & Noble for my employee discount. Still, it looks promising. It is most assuredly not the setting--think of it as an "Ultimate Ravenloft" or "Ravenloft-2" rather than the 'Castle Ravenloft: Special Edition' that House of Strahd was.

Lots of connections with Heroes of Horror, and some nifty tweaks and twists--zombies, vampires, werewolves, mad nymphs, secret societies, covens and demon summoning . . . After the editorial in DRAGON #248, I had to look up Eva, and found out . . .
SPOILER

she's an annis hag.

I actually don't mind this. The Vistani are an element of Ravenloft that I can honestly take or leave (along with the VRGtW witches), and this new take has possibilities. Eva as a hag actually would dovetail interestingly with some of John Mangrum's ideas on hags and witchcraft.

There's at least one other hag and member of her covey in Barovia who intends to summon the demon Chernovog to overthrow Strahd. Even with the brief information I scanned, I'm already getting ideas for Ravenloft III: Night on Mount Baratak. :)

The prestige class is the Knight of the Raven, a group of noble warriors with roots in Barovia's pre-Strahd history. Only thing I remember about them is that they get a celestial raven companion. There are also substitution levels tied into the undead-hating Lightbringers organization, with options for bards, clerics and paladins at least, possibly more.

Matthew L. Martin, Demi-Kargatane
Last edited by Matthew L. Martin on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

I didn't know the book was out on shelves yet. I thought it released on the 10th.

I am going to have to take a little trip to me FLGS.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Luke Fleeman wrote:I didn't know the book was out on shelves yet. I thought it released on the 10th.

I am going to have to take a little trip to me FLGS.
Some places have it--mostly places that are willing to bend the official on-sale date.

I'm waiting for the 13th, myself. (Friday the 13th, the weekend, and the 9th anniversary of receiving DoD straight from TSR. :-) )

Matthew L. Martin
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I hate places that don't wait for official dates of release, luckily I live in a small town, so that I am really the only store who is going to carry this kind of thing. God damn barnes and noble!
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

Why is Eva using Three Dragon Ante decks?! Tarokka decks are the only way to play! It seems to me that WotC is putting ads in the classic adventure.
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
~Alper, Kobold Alchemist in my Ravenloft Campaign
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Gwenfloor wrote:Why is Eva using Three Dragon Ante decks?! Tarokka decks are the only way to play! It seems to me that WotC is putting ads in the classic adventure.
Keep in mind that, back in the 2E days, every reference to the tarokka deck was itself a none-too-subtle reminder to go buy one of the two boxed sets that included it.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Gwenfloor wrote:Why is Eva using Three Dragon Ante decks?! Tarokka decks are the only way to play! It seems to me that WotC is putting ads in the classic adventure.
Do you expect them to say, "To do this part of the adventure, go buy our OOP stuff or another publishers stuff?"

To be fair, this is a corporation. They need to make money. Cross-promotion is a fair and normal tactic to do so.
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

There is nothing wrong with that, every corporation needs money. It just came as a shock to me that they did not include the classic Tarokka Deck.
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
~Alper, Kobold Alchemist in my Ravenloft Campaign
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I to think the classic Torroka deck would be nice and when I run the adventure I damn sure plan to use it. Just because it is written does not mean it is done.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Gwenfloor wrote:There is nothing wrong with that, every corporation needs money. It just came as a shock to me that they did not include the classic Tarokka Deck.
Why would they? The Tarokka is a part of the campaign setting and this is pure, 100%, undiluted I6. Just updated with shiny new rules.