Steal this Hook at WotC

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Steal this Hook at WotC

Post by Joël of the FoS »

This month's hook acknowledge the presence of Ravenloft ... as a setting :)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sh/20061004a

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lord Soth

Post by Lord Soth »

Ah, if only that was an indication that Ravenloft would see publication again. Sadly, though, it's only because Expedition to Castle Ravenloft came out. :(
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

Can't say I'm particularly fond of the Frog hook, as few of the complications and possibilities lend themselves to gothic horror. (dragons, slaad?)

The remaining two were descent, the Ghost hook being the better of the three.

I guess it is a good thing Ravenloft is getting some attention, but I wouldn't become too excited about it.
Lord Soth

Re: re

Post by Lord Soth »

Jack of Tears wrote:Can't say I'm particularly fond of the Frog hook, as few of the complications and possibilities lend themselves to gothic horror. (dragons, slaad?)

Isn't there a Slaad running around in Ravenloft? Drigor or something. Though I might be misremembering what kind of demon he is.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

He's a Shator Gehreleth if I remember properly. Slaadi aren't demons per se, and there aren't any in Ravenloft far as I know.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

And they certainly shouldn't be falling from the sky and tossing about the other frogs like kids in a lunchroom food fight.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Those are not bad plot hooks, and they work as a way to go from EtCR into a regular Ravenloft campaign for interested DMs. Bravo, I say.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

I started a discussion in WotC boards, to show them that there is interest in continuing this.
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=723232
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

They will. Once a year in October...
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

It's a start. No quite so good a start as we might like, but a start none-the-less.
I think we're property...
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
That Something (now) owns this earth -- all others warned off. -Charles Fort
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Jester of the FoS wrote:They will. Once a year in October...
If we string together enough Octobers then it may pay off...
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Jester of the FoS wrote:They will. Once a year in October...
You may have noticed David is our in-house optimist :P
Corrupted_Loremaster wrote:It's a start. No quite so good a start as we might like, but a start none-the-less.
Indeed. Greyhawk wasn't mentionned, but RL is :) It might be Halloween, it might be EtCR, but it might also be a fish hook to test the waters.

If EtCR works well, and the novels, we could see a few goodies like that here and there, and minis, and a few other simple things. Maybe a novel.

Then we get the FoS as WotC official fan site of the year, then we get Cermak, Mangrum, Nichols at WotC to head a new wave of books, then we ban Eberron, and then the whole world will play Ravenloft Muhahaha...

*note to self: I feel dizzy. Have I taken my pills this morning?*
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Ban Eberron? Where does that fit in the plan, and why?
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I just don't think we should get our hopes up or try to get someone else to publish accesories for the setting. We've seen the result of 'updates' and what Ravenloft would be like in WotC's 3E.

I think we should put the effort into doing it ourselves and supporting the fans . That has proven results.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Luke Fleeman wrote:Ban Eberron? Where does that fit in the plan, and why?
Shwa?
But banning Eberron is an end in of itself. It is an act of pure good; like saving a bus load of puppies and orphans, or rewinding your video tapes before you return them.
Evil Reigns!!!!