Pharazia, Amber Wastes Info?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

There's a whole issue of QtR devoted to the this cluster: QtR5 In the ruins of Eternity.

There's also the NPC Trisler on one of the old 1994 TSR trading cards.

Trisler is a native of Ravenloft. Her mother was an inhabitant of Har'Akir, but her father was a darkling - an outcast vistani. Her unusual heritage has given her powers similar to a cleric's. She cannot turn undead but is also immune to level-draining attack.

She's a 2nd Edition LG Cleric 10 there, but with a twist. The picture on the card is the woman from the cover of Touch of Death, where she does not look like a typical cleric.

I'm discussing her stats and possible conversion to 3E here

NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Well, I probably have enough material for a shortish campaign.

Still need to format a few encounters, but thanks for all the assisstance.

Note to self: Re-read the QTR.

On the other hand, if anyone has something else useful to say about the domains, speak right up. (Especially if anyone can direct me to info on Werejackals.)
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Have a sandstorm drive them into the Valley of the Death and, since there is nothing else left standing there, the Temple of Alophis (?) where the supposed god himself is said to reside although Mangrum suggests that it is rather an enormous nightcrawler (see Teeny Tiny Tale of Terror N).
The cure for what ails you
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Ail wrote:
Coan wrote:Hmm there is that database floating around where you can search for all references to a domain? Now where is that? Someone know what I'm rambling about? (it's late for me).

Domains of Dread (2nd Edition) might have some info, but there might be some fan material floating around as well.
The Catalogue. You can find it here in the Library.

Alex
The catalogue is the best 2e reference.

You also have the list of "fan-made stuff + canon 3e stuff" in the Mausoleum.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

NeoTiamat wrote:Unfortunately, while I have CotN: Demons, Ghosts, and Vamps, no Werebeasts. Bleh. I think I'll need to construct an encounter with some Werejackals. Need to think on how to go about it.

[Edit: Just read the review for CotN: Werebeasts over in the Drawing Room. I don't suppose anyone can describe Abu Al Mir a bit?]
Brandi gave a bit of information above, but I wanted to add the following:

For the "Recurrence" for Abu al Mir, it does describe al Mir going back to Har'Akir from Dementlieu. As al Mir has been hunted by ancient dead agents of Ankhtepots, al Mir is thinking of two different solutions: 1) go to Ankhtepot's crypt and plead for forgiveness for his parents' crimes, or 2) go back to the ruined temple that his parents served in, seeking an item of power, hopefully to kill off enough of the mummy agents that Ankhtepot finds him too much trouble to bother with.

Both of these can fit in your above structure, if you want it. With option 1, al Mir could be joining the raiding party on Ankhtepot's tomb. He guides the PCs and archeologists to Ankhtepot's tomb, specifically with the purpose of using the PCs to keep himself alive until they get to the tomb, then pleading for Ankhtepot's forgiveness once they get to Ankhtepot's tomb. Further, al Mir plans on killing the "tomb raiders" (PCs and archaeologists) to prove his sincerity to Ankhtepot. Al Mir may have learned about this Borcan expedition after abandoning Port-a-Lucine due to the attack on his life in the CotN: Werebeasts adventure. As a native of Har'Akir, he would work out well as a guide for the party, either to complement or replace your Pharazian native (who might know Pharazia well but might not know Sebua and Har'Akir at all).

With option 2, al Mir could have heard about the expedition party and has specifically pointed out a "ruined temple" that is full of wonderful artifacts of Akiri culture. As it's an abandoned temple, there'd be no threat of retribution from the natives, no chances of anyone being present there, etc. The plan can be sold as a real boon to the Borcan nobles heading the party. Again, al Mir is using the PCs as protection, so as to get himself safely to the temple to recover the magical item he needs to fight the mummies that Ankhtepot sends against him. But who knows if he'll use that against the PCs in return? And what, exactly, is this item, and what does it do? Does it destroy mummies directly, does it control them, or does it summon up an even more horrible mummy to deal with the others? Specifically, can it return the vile Senmet back to existence to challenge Ankhtepot again? And how will Snefru feel about Senmet coming back, only as someone else's pawn this time around?

Anyway, don't necessarily write off Abu al Mir just because CotN:Werebeasts put him in Port-a-Lucine. The book *also* describes al Mir as being quite mobile, seeing as there are enemies constantly after him.
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

[Removed in case PCs check]
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Oh, and ScS had an article on the Egyptian domains *somewhere*, but lord if I can remember where (I haven't read it yet). It might have something on the werejackal society/culture, but I don't recall... So you might want to search through the QtR's and the USS's in addition to the normal canon books.

Me, I've never ran across anything on werejackal society. Hopefully someone will stop by with that answer for you.
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

Perhaps, this will not be of big help for your campign, but if you are looking for some information about egiptian and arabic culture for your game I suggest you take a look to the Al-Qadim campaign setting and its adventures.

It is a really good source about desert travel, caravans, weapons, way of life and other stuff, which is applicable to the Amber Wastes. I use it frequently because I run my campaign in the Amber wastes and has helped me a lot for those details and also for new desert monsters and stuff..

Hope it helps :wink:
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Oh, in addition to all things Ravenloftish, I'm also using the Sandstorm supplementextensively.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

It is nowise a deal breaker, but one would think that a successful crime lord would have more trusted assistance available than hired PC's. Of course, if the assistance is to be sacrificed as part of the plot, then the PC's would be perfect . . .
The cure for what ails you
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

*whistles*

Let's just say I wouldn't sell life-insurance to the PCs.

------------------------------

More seriously, there;s the fact that the Patron isn't so much a crime-boss as an extremely corrupt merchant guildmaster. He controls a good chunk of the trade going on in the southern core, and isn't afraid of utilizing criminal methods to get ahead.

By the same token however, most of those people are fairly mundane leg-breakers, with a few groups of bandits popped into the mix. Most aren't what you'd call high-quality assisstance.

He's going on an expedition into a very alien, hostile terrain, and is planning to rob a tomb guarded by some decidedly unpleasant forces. The PCs are highly skilled, and once in the desert he is fairly confident he can keep them in line if necessary. He's paying them enough.

Plus he does have a single loyal henchman.