Sithicus and Dragonlance

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Sithicus and Dragonlance

Post by The_Confessor »

So, I'm about to start an epic Ravenloft campaign and one of my players is a major Dragon Lance fan who never knew about Sithicus and that Lord Soth was the ruler. She sparked on a fantastic idea though...

What if, instead of the Mists claiming Soth for damning Kitiara, the Mists claimed Raistlin at the moment he was about to usurp the Dark Queen? Raistlin Majere would rule Sithiicus and instead of Negaard Keep, he'd have the Tower of Sharokan Grove with it's aura of fear surrounding it. Raistlin always did horrible experiments from his tower. The Sithicus locals could still be elves (perhaps from Lorac's nightmare?) who are forever tainted by the dark magic eminating from the Tower of Black Sorcery, etc, etc, etc.

What do you think?

Oh, and on a completely unrelated topic - has anyone used the classes from Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords in Ravenloft?
"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today." -James Byron Dean
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Raistlin at that time might be overpowered for the more low-level and low-magic world of Ravenloft. Especially since he'd have the power to challenge (and beat) a greater god. Heck, he might even be able to escape.

Ravenloft already has evil mages and dark wizards galore. There are three lords that fit that description in the Core already (counting Azalin). Fallen knights and/or undead warriors are much rarer making Soth more interesting and unique in the Land of the Mists.

The Tome of Battle is a potentially overpowered book. It is supposed to balance fighters out against the more powerful mages but can easily push warriors over the edge into crazy levels of effectiveness negating challenges and making the game to easy.
This is especially true in Ravenloft where magical items and powerful spells are rarer. A ToB character might work much like an optimized monk in that they'd be more powerful than the rest of the party and possibly make the other player's feel leftout or bored.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Raistlin is a little much for my tastes. Not only has he been used ALOT, his power level and notoriety make him kind of problematic for adaption.

I think the other issue is that, as the books would have you believe, Raistlin is already cursed, and has some glimmer of good still within him. He likes the depravity, the utter evil ot be a DL; it is one thing to be bad, lust of power, and be redeemable, but a whole different thing to be the kid of sick evil it takes to be a Darklord.

There are other good possibilities from the War of the Lance series: Ariakas is the first I think of off the top of my head.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

The thing is that Sithicus, as written, was a reflection of Soth. He hated the elves, so they were the primary populace of his domain, etc. To make it fit Raistlin you'd have to vastly rework everything about the domain.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Luke Fleeman wrote:Raistlin is a little much for my tastes. Not only has he been used ALOT, his power level and notoriety make him kind of problematic for adaption.

I think the other issue is that, as the books would have you believe, Raistlin is already cursed, and has some glimmer of good still within him. He likes the depravity, the utter evil ot be a DL; it is one thing to be bad, lust of power, and be redeemable, but a whole different thing to be the kid of sick evil it takes to be a Darklord.

There are other good possibilities from the War of the Lance series: Ariakas is the first I think of off the top of my head.
Or the Kingpriest. The whole notion that a cataclysm was made because a man wanted to get rid of EVIL in what supposedly was an extremely GOOD action is quite intringuing.

In wanting to do the most of Good, you'd be doing the most of Evil instead.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)