Epic Plot, Tiny Problem

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Epic Plot, Tiny Problem

Post by The_Confessor »

So I'm about to embark on yet another trip into the Domains of Dread with seven eager victims, I mean players. The charater creation rules are fairly open, with the only real caveat being that all the players have to either be interested in or already members of the Van Richten Society.

My plot itself involves Azalin. Basically that kooky ol' lich is up to his crazy tricks again. Using his secret police, Azalin has contacted several other Darklords in the core, including Strahd and Easan, as well as other spellcasters of signifigant power. Azalin believes he has unlocked the key to a grand ritual that would allow him to escape Ravenloft. The problem is that his power alone can't accomplish it. He needs several masters of the Arcane.

So, he's trying to recruit other darklords, promising them an escape from the Land of Mists. He has sent ambassadors to several other domains who are carrying scrolls that contain a spell that would allow the darklords to send their own negotiators to Darkon without fear of the effect on their memories.

Azalin is, in short, attempting to convince the arcane masters of the core to set aside their diffrences to enact one great ritual that would free them all (or at least him, he hopes) from their prison.

I haven't worked out the details of the ritual. All I know is that it requires multipule spellcasters and that Azalin plans on using the portal that Gwydion is stuck in as the key to his escape.

The PCs become involved when the VR Society discovers the body of one of Azalin's spies on his way to Barovia. (He was killed by some method not crucial to the plot). On the body is a letter from Azalin to Strahd, requesting response to his intial letter as well as confirmation that Strahd will be sending an emassary protected from the memory effects of Darkon. The VR Society wants to get their hands on that spell. They're sending the PCs to track down and stop Strahd's emessary before he casts the spell so that the spell can be penned by society scholars and used in efforts against the evils of Darkon.

But, I digress (I won't even get into Death's involvement or the Blessed Army of Ezra). The big problem I am having is that I feel like I've painted myself into a core. Azalin needs the great casters of the core in one location - but Darklords can't cross out of their own domains.

So what I'm looking for are suggestions and ideas on ways to handle such a grand ritual when all of the casters have to remain miles apart?
"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today." -James Byron Dean
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Give each a crystal ball that will be attuned to the rest of the set and make it a key part of the ritual. That way they can communicate and time the ritual.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

You could try working astrology into it as well. Perhaps theres a certain period of time when all the individual rituals must be enacted. Full moons, Eclipses, are all good. I'm fond of the Winter Solstice myself. You can actually combine two or more of those for some big important date, (let's say there will be a full moon on Walpurgisnacht), and the ritual MUST be conducted on that night.

Actually, if I remember properly, it mentions a few times in I, Strahd that the most powerful night for dark magic is the Winter Solstice, the longest night of the year. So this would be well grounded. And you get a nice sense of a time constraint, the 'Ticking Clock' that the RLDMG mentions.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I was going to suggest mirrors, possibly created by Tindafalus. But crystal balls are good too. Whatever the device, capturing or destroying them, or preventing their initial forging could give you an excuse for several adventures.

Remember that mortal magic can't penetrate closed domain borders, so all the darklords in question need to keep their borders open during the ritual. If Drakov gets wind of that... prime time for an invasion of Darkon!

Other suggestion: Meet in the realm of dreams? (Nightmare Lands) Perhaps with the help of a captured and enslaved Abber Shaman (now undead, of course).
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

You could try getting the Vistani involved.

They have a great deal of power, and are on good terms with Strahd at the very least.

You actually have a great deal of potential for roleplaying the interactions between the various powerful mages and rulers of the Core, especially those that loathe each other with a passion. Strahd and Malocchio is a good start, and Strahd and Azalin are also old enemies.

Could you possibly say just which Darklords are involved?
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I would imagine the best spellcasters available would be:
Azalin, Strahd, Hazlik, and Meredoth. After that it's a bit hazy: the 3 hags, Morgoroth, Soth?... I don't think Mallocchio has any spellcasting abililty, but his dukkar and cambion abilities might be of use.

If they don't have to be darklords, he might find a way to pursuade the FoS to get involved, especially if he doesn't reveal exactly what they're up to...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by The_Confessor »

I was thinking Azalin, Strahd, Morgoroth, Easan, and a perhaps one or two others when I got a second to review the Dark Lords.

The plot itself indirectly involves Gwydion and the Shadow Rift, as the portal in which Gwydion is trapped is part of the basis of Azalin's ritual. Also, Soth is going to be called on to help serve as muscle as well as assist in the potental channelling of Nuitari's dark energy for the ritual.

Death also has his finger in this pie, but for a different reason. He wants to see Azalin succeed because he believes the ritual will destroy much of Darkon and potentially other realms. This will destroy many lives and allow him to reap more souls for the Necropolis.

Also, with mass communication going on between all these darklords and their borders being down, I'm definately going to involve Drakov. Except, he is probably going to be an ally of the PCs - sort of. The PCs will need to use Drakov and his army to distract the Darklords in the great climax to draw their eyes away while they stop the ritual.

As far as the Vistani, I wasn't sure how to involve them. I've always seen them as wise, but somehow forbidden from taking action that would change the face of the core.
"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today." -James Byron Dean
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

I wouldn't use Easan, personally, and would substitute Hazlik for him instead. Easan 'the mad' doesn't seem entirely reliable.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Ail wrote:I wouldn't use Easan, personally, and would substitute Hazlik for him instead. Easan 'the mad' doesn't seem entirely reliable.
Yeah, wouldn't that be fun. At the most crucial point in the ritual, everything falls apart as Easan ends up rolling a Wild Surge...

And Ravenloft turns into Care Bear Land. :shock:
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Ail wrote:I wouldn't use Easan, personally, and would substitute Hazlik for him instead. Easan 'the mad' doesn't seem entirely reliable.
OTOH, Easan would be a great wild card to keep in reserve, should the PCs' own efforts alone not quite be enough to disrupt the ritual. If the players have done their level best to save the world, but bad luck or trivial oversights get in the way, you can have Easan -- the one member of the conspiracy too crazy for Azalin's genius to predict his behavior -- flip out in a way that (combined with the PCs' heroics) sabotages the plan at the last minute.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:
OTOH, Easan would be a great wild card to keep in reserve, should the PCs' own efforts alone not quite be enough to disrupt the ritual. If the players have done their level best to save the world, but bad luck or trivial oversights get in the way, you can have Easan -- the one member of the conspiracy too crazy for Azalin's genius to predict his behavior -- flip out in a way that (combined with the PCs' heroics) sabotages the plan at the last minute.
I'll re-explain my point of view: If I were Azalin, I would never bring Easan into the group.

You've only supported me in this.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Definently.

Easan's madness and, shall we say, limp grasp on reality make him extremely unpredictable, and at the very least, unreliable in helping with a ritual of extreme gravity.
On the other hand, Azalin may be forced to rely on Easan, as Easan may have a much greater understanding of planar mechanics, thanks to his studies in trying to remove his demonic half.
Perhaps the PCs are sent by Azalin to keep him lucid?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula