Spell/ability needed - Determining domain of origin

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Spell/ability needed - Determining domain of origin

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Just need a quick throwaway line here, for a Kargat to let slip in front of a paralyzed captive. I want a creepy way to reveal the previously unknown birthplace of the captive. Something along the lines of:

"Lord Azalin specifically requested Darkon natives for this experiment. ___________, this one is from (Domain X)." "No matter, we will let them ripen for a few months. They'll be natives soon enough."

What's a good way to fill in the blank? Doesn't have to be an existing spell or ability, although that would be nice. As long as it sounds feasible.
Extra points for creepy.

best ones I can come up with:
I have read the runes...
The spirits tell me...
His blood reeks of (Domain X)...

??
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

What about:

"He has the eyes of a (Domain X native)"
"His brain smells like a (Domain X native)" if the speaker is a psion.
"The Mists whisper that he is the one from (Domain X)..."
"Mama tells me this is the one frome (Domain X)"

The last one is inspired from the 2nd Ed game I'm in at the moment where someone has the witch kit and has his PCs dead mother whisper to his character.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

"He speaks Lamordian/Falkovnian..."
"He's branded with a hawk/E..."

Most scrying spells will reveal it too.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

"The last time we leaned on them, they said..."

"The most reliable confession statement suggests..."

"When we tried the crushed mandrake root, they told us..."

All of these might even chill the PCs with the suggestion that they themselves gave the Kargat this information, through repeated interrogations, but now have forgotten it.

Or you could make it seem that a previous contact met with the PCs while they still had their memories and wheedled it out of them.

"Krashpalt in Neblus said something about them looking for 'directions to Thay'..."

"We have one pickpocket who said they had a coin marked with [X nation's emblem and name]..."
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

"His blood sings of the (wilds/streams/mountains) of X"
"His spirit stinks of the (apples of Arbora / sewers of Ste. Ronges)"
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Also Azalin has access to The Book of Names in his castle, which would give fairly complete histories of all those entering his domain.
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Wha i came up with for each core domain:

Lamordia: He has the fine delicate hands of a Lamordian craftsman...
Dementlieu: He has such fine breeding I've not seen since my time in Port-a-Lucine...
Mordent: Bah! He reaks of the moors...
Valchan; The stench of that foul jungle still permiates his clothes. Have them burned...
Falknovia: The band is old. It was applied no later then his fifth birthday...
Richemulot: Gayah! Remove his clothes and burn them and bath him as wel. I fear we will never be free of that sewer stench...
Borca: Subject XXX shows slight blueing of the lips as well as enlarged optic blood vessles. Diagnossis is subject has been in contact with toxic flora over the period of several years...
Verbeck: Poor ignorant hick. I would have been far less crule to let the wolves have thier fun with him....
Invidia: Subject xxx shows a remarkably well toned body with well worn hands sujesting time spent in the forrest or military. Perhaps one of Malacchio's goons?
Sithicus: Subject shows several unique scarings on his upper extremity. Perhaps from attacks by the ferral halflings?
Kartakass: Backwoods hick. Apply a litle more tention to the rack and maybe he will sing a pritty little song for us...
Barovia: Subjects seems to be of the same racial strain as the devil Strahd...
Halan: Subject bares the traitional markings of a Mulan/wears his/her hair in a traditional Rashemani fassion
Nova Vassa: Half staved horse farmer. Still a better fate then at the end of one of Malkens knives.
Tepest: Better us then the shadow fey, ey?
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Thanks for the help folks, just a few notes: It's can't be as obvious as a falkovnian brand (Domain X is actually Nidala, for the record). This is something PC himself doesn't know yet, so it couldn't be interrogated out of him, though that is very creepy, and it couldn't be based on things he did before capture. Also, this has to happen before they are delivered to Azalin, so nothing from the Book of Names, just yet. Since the PC doesn't know, it would be best to have something conclusive, not just something that "seems" like he's from the domain.

(The PC is 1/2 vistani, and travelled with his (now dead) mother in his youth, so he doesn't know where he was born, or that his father still lives (in Nidala).

I may use some of these when talking about the other characters, though...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

What about "I've seen his childhood dreams, and forest I saw was the ..."

Basically, somehow the speaker has had access to the long-term memory of the character, something like what he saw when he was still a baby. The character doens't remember anymore, but that memory is not lost and can be accessed by hypnotism or some other means of the same kind. The scryer has this technique and so could see the world per the character's eyes when he was too innocent to lie and to young to remember it. Finally, this scryer has an ample knowledge of the world, enough to recognize the world he sees.

Perhaps the phrase could even be changed:

"I've regressed to his birth, and saw the world as he did when he opened his eyes. The mountains I saw are ...."
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

If you want it to be really creepy, you could have a Kargat officer (and vampire ... though the PC won't realize that at first) drop by to examine the PC, sniff with distaste, then prick the captive's finger and taste the drop of blood from the lancet. The PC is tossed back into his cell, and the party later overhears the nosferatu grumble in disgust that the half-breed Vistana reeks -- and tastes, in part -- of the "sun-pandering fanatics" of the Shadowlands.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow