Ardonk Szerieza

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ardonk Szerieza

Post by Ail »

Hi,

I'd like to know if Ardonk is statted anywhere. If not, I can do it myself, but would you let him have any magic weapon?

also, what kind of followers would you put in his group? of what class and level ?

I want to have a showdown between Ardonk and Strahd with the PCs in the middle. I really don't know how this will go, and this has the potential to be devastating for the PCs if they act too heroic, but that would be a logic conclusion to Strahd's hiring them.

So, I'm planning that Ardonk invites the PCs to his headquarters, a cave in the forest, to thank them for destroying the Golem of Ivan Szimin. Strahd is on the lookout ( he has been previously warned) and follows them, ambushing the group outside the cave.

I picture Strahd bringing two dire wolves with him, and a few Strahd zombies. He does not care about the PCs (which he actually intends to let go because they've done their part) nor the rebels: he just wants to kill Ardonk, and if possible, by the sword. He won't use any of his vampiric abilities unless he's hard-pressed, but with DR 25/+2, AC 32 and 3 attacks per round, that probably doesn't happen.

And I think he can pretty safely ignore the arrows and weapons from the rebels. So, for you, what would be the tactics of both Strahd and the rebels?

Thank you all

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

If there are 3e stats for Ardonk, they'd be in Gaz I or Gaz IV. I can't check right now. There are 2e stats in the Book of Secrets (3rd level thief) I imagine he's gained a few levels since then. Maybe a Rog5?

It also says there:
Prohibited by Barovian law from possessing any weapon
larger than a dagger, Ardonk is not terribly effective in
combat. This is not usually a problem, however, as he
largely avoids direct confrontation, preferring to
manipulate events from a distance. When forced to enter
combat, he uses a simple dagger. In potentially
dangerous situations, he will always wear his leather
jerkin to protect himself, which improves his AC by 1."
Giving him a magic weapon that wasn't provided to him by the PCs seems a bit out of character for a ragtag guerilla leader. (I suppose it's also possible that Gabrielle would give him something. Is your camaign set before, during, or after their relationship?)

I don't remember where I saw it, but I vaguely remember him using gunpowder to blow up a wagon or something at least once. Might he try to lure Strahd into a trapped area and detonate a bomb on him?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

gonzoron wrote:If there are 3e stats for Ardonk, they'd be in Gaz I or Gaz IV. I can't check right now. There are 2e stats in the Book of Secrets (3rd level thief) I imagine he's gained a few levels since then. Maybe a Rog5?

It also says there:
Prohibited by Barovian law from possessing any weapon
larger than a dagger, Ardonk is not terribly effective in
combat. This is not usually a problem, however, as he
largely avoids direct confrontation, preferring to
manipulate events from a distance. When forced to enter
combat, he uses a simple dagger. In potentially
dangerous situations, he will always wear his leather
jerkin to protect himself, which improves his AC by 1."
Giving him a magic weapon that wasn't provided to him by the PCs seems a bit out of character for a ragtag guerilla leader. (I suppose it's also possible that Gabrielle would give him something. Is your camaign set before, during, or after their relationship?)

I don't remember where I saw it, but I vaguely remember him using gunpowder to blow up a wagon or something at least once. Might he try to lure Strahd into a trapped area and detonate a bomb on him?
Thanks for the replies. I too was not fond of giving him a magic weapon. As for his relation with Gabrielle, I've decided not to play with that. They simply do not know each other, the connection between the guerrilla and Invidia does not exist. Even though I'm in 751, I'm using Invidia as probably in 741 before The Evil Eye took place. Just because I'd like to run that adventure and so Mallochio isn't grown up yet.

Ardonk is not expecting Strahd. this will be a complete surprise for him. As for the wagon load, yes, that is referred in Gaz I (where his level is also given Com2/Ftr4/Rog4, but nothing else). I've also used that before in my campaign. Perhaps his archers might use flaming arrows, then, and he's got some black powder barrels in his cave that he can put to use. What kind of damage would this give? Equivalent to a level 6 fireball, for example? Would this be subject to Strahd's DR ?

Alex
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

RCS/RLPH has stats for bombs (only 2d6) and exploding powder (1 hp/oz). A small keg holds 15lbs of powder, which is a whopping 240hp of damage in a 5' radius. Unless Strahd is actually carrying the powder somehow (and strapping it to him isn't gonna be easy) he'll get to make a reflex save, DC20 for 1/2 damage. (Strahd would have to roll 3 or less to fail that save, so it's probably 120hp of damage, but that's a pretty big chunk of Strahd, and probably completely lethal for anyone else caught in the blast.) DR works on "blows" and "normal attacks." I don't think it works on fire damage, but I could be wrong. I think he'd need fire resistance for that, and he only has cold and electricity resistance.

The trouble of course would be catching Strahd within the blast radius and setting off the powder "safely." VRA has a clockwork fuse, but I doubt Ardonk would have one. Somewhere there are rules for a regular fuse, but I can't find them at the moment.

If your PC's don't interfere (or are low enough level to be squished by Strahd themselves) I'm afraid Ardonk is toast, unless he pulls off the bomb trick. Given the class levels you pulled from Gaz I, his Will save is +3+Wis modifier. +7 AT BEST. Strahd's dominate person has a DC24. If he uses that, the fight could be over in 1 round: "Kneel, traitor, and face your sentence." His Spell DCs are up there too. Even knowing Strahd is a vampire wouldn't help much, since he's outgrown most of the usual vamp weakness.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

gonzoron wrote:DR works on "blows" and "normal attacks." I don't think it works on fire damage, but I could be wrong. I think he'd need fire resistance for that, and he only has cold and electricity resistance.
DR definitely doesn't work against energy damage. However, IIRC Strahd has a Ring of Fire Resistance, or at least he did so in the short story "Caretaker".
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:
gonzoron wrote:DR works on "blows" and "normal attacks." I don't think it works on fire damage, but I could be wrong. I think he'd need fire resistance for that, and he only has cold and electricity resistance.
DR definitely doesn't work against energy damage. However, IIRC Strahd has a Ring of Fire Resistance, or at least he did so in the short story "Caretaker".
Yep, still has: ring of minor elemental resistance (fire).
I don't have the DMG with me atm, so I can't check what this does.
It still is a great idea, though :-D

Strahd would survive, and I don't give much for Ardonk anyway. I don't care if he dies, but I'd like the PCs to survive. After all, they are caught between the hammer and the anvil. This is between the othet two, they are just the unaware tracker that led Strahd to the prey. So, they might feel a moral obligation to help Ardonk... I hope they back out in time, or the DP themselves will have to intervene today.
Alex
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

D'oh! forgot to check his items. In 3.0, that ring stops 15 pts of fire damage per round. In 3.5, it's only the first 10 pts per round. Certainly better than not having it, but still painful... (understatement of the year :) )

if Ardonk manages to blow up two kegs, however..... Goodnight, Strahd...
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Well, regardless, I think if Ardonk even blows up just one keg, that's going to cause enough confusion that he might just be able to escape Strahd. Especially if the explosion causes the place to catch on fire, starts a collapse of the cave, etc.

Because just how pissed will Strahd be at the PCs if Ardonk slips from his fingers again...
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

gonzoron wrote:if Ardonk manages to blow up two kegs, however..... Goodnight, Strahd...
At least until he retreats in mist form to his nearest coffin and regenerates... I presume?
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Ardonk's 3E stats are in Gaz1. He's a Com2/Ftr4/Rog4.

His entry in the RL Catalgoue:

ARDONK SZERIEZA
Sources
Secrets of the Dread Realms
Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume I
Artwork
NULL
Stats / Rules
Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume I - p34
Description
Secrets of the Dread Realms - pp29-30
Ravenloft Third Edition - p114
Domains of Dread - p60
Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume I - p34
Maps
NULL
See Also
Resides in Castle Hunadora and Zeidenburg (Location & City)
Last edited by The Giamarga on Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Delivery methods for the keg of gunpowder:

Birthday cake (although getting invited would be the hard part)
Bride bomb ("Strahd my love, let me strike a flame, the better to appreciate your ageless beauty.")
Carriage bomb (or maybe Strahd doesn't bother lighting the lanterns)
Burgher bomb (fill local Burgher's house with kegs of gun powder and then with hold the taxes)
Gunpowder Golem (seductively shaped) with a lantern in hand
The cure for what ails you
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Oh and definately read the Book of Secrets article. It has lots of details. His alignment (N) and ability scores for example: Str, 10, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 17 ( he would add two level increases since these are 2E stats)

BTW the description says he's a 3rd level thief but in the statblock he has 5HD and corresponding hp and THAC0 (BAB). His thieves' skills are only for a 3rd level thief though. So i figure he was a Com2/Rog3 then. :-)

Having combed the article for 3E building hints, I'd give him the Persuasive feat (it is mentioned verbatim!), a lot of skill points in Open Lock, perhaps the Jaded feat to represent his bitterness and his experiences as a youth. And of course Leadership at CL 6, plus perhaps Back to the Wall too. He does not speak Balok then but maybe he learned it in the mean time. If there is a feat named Agitator anywhere he would have to have it. I figure tahat he was probably innocent or blessed in the beginning. So perhaps i'd give him a feat or two that he lost along with his innocense.

It would be interesting too figure out where/how he got his considerable Fighter training afterwards. Since this happened after the article you could go anywhere with it build-wise... I'd probably give him Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms) as one of his Ftr bonus feats, as he has been in contact with this gunpowder etc. and would surely learn how to use it.

Here's my proposal for his feat progression:

Code: Select all

Feats: (total 1+1+3+3Ftr)
1(Com1):     ? some commoner feat ?
1(com 2):      Jaded
3(Rog1):       Persuasive
6(Rog4):       Leadership
7 (Rog4/Ftr1):  Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms)
8 (Rog4/Ftr2):  Back to the Wall
9 (Rog4/Ftr3):  
10(Rog4/Ftr4):

Likely candidates: alertness, blindfight, dodge, mobility,iron will, improved feint, endurance, self-sufficient, weapon finesse, weapon focus
And he probably has upgraded his armour at least to studded leather.
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Ooh, you might also consider giving him a level or two of the Recruiter PrC (from LotB, p111, under the Renier section). Since the Recruiter is centered around really whipping people up and getting them excited in a cause, it'd probably be helpful in getting Gundarakites motivated behind the movement.

That is, if he's got enough to apply for that PrC anyway.
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Yes Recruiter come to mind. But imo it does't really fit for Ardonk. He does not read the wants and desires of the people saying the right things at the right time. He does not recruit as a profession. He does not speak to the populace in the public, he needs to be more careful than that.

You could use the Inspiring Oratory mechanics though if you wanted, and also the Contacts mechanic from the Dilsnya Deceiver PrC.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

[repeated post. don't know how to delete this]
Last edited by Ail on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.