Neblus

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Neblus

Post by Jakob »

Hi to all!

Is there a way (or a place) to gather info and ideas on the city of Neblus, in Darkon?

Thanks in advance.
J
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

To point out the obvious, Gaz II, Darkon Section. It has an adventure hook or two with Trillen Mistwalker, the mist guide who's actually a ghost (I suspect a Dread Possibility was cut here).

Beyond that... Well, Neblus is the 'most cosmopolitan elven' city, and it borders the mist, so the sections on Elves in the RLPHB might be useful, as would, possibly, the VRGttMists.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Isn't there info on all of the major cities of Darkon in the Requiem boxset? I remember they detail each of Darkon's mini-rulers. I'm sure Neblus is there.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Ok, obvious apart... :P

I was hoping to find out MORE about the city.
I know about Trillen Mistwalker (the corporeal-looking ghost :shock:), since his description is included in the Necropolis sourcebook, along with a description of Neblus... A much smaller description than GazII.
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

The "Races of the Mists" article on elves from QtR would be a good place to look also.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Neblus: City of Tombstones.

Basically, the locals cannibalized their graveyards and built their infrastructure around tombstones, mausoleums and stuff. :)
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Wasn't Alanik Ray born in Neblus?

Chris Nichols
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Neblus: City of Tombstones.

Basically, the locals cannibalized their graveyards and built their infrastructure around tombstones, mausoleums and stuff. :)
No worries, I know this... I read both GazII and the entry in Necropolis...
I was just hoing someone had something more for me.
Rotipher of the Fraternity wrote:The "Races of the Mists" article on elves from QtR would be a good place to look also.
It was, a bit generic, but it was, thanks (I completely forgot about it... :shock:).

Oh, well... I guess I'll have to create it myself, won't I? :wink:
- Luis Sepúlveda
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

ChrisNichols wrote:Wasn't Alanik Ray born in Neblus?

Chris Nichols
Indeed.

From Champions of the Mists, page 57:
Often called simply "the Great Detective," Alanik Ray was born to a family of elf nobles in the city of Neblus in Necropolis. At a very young age he began to notice that not everyone enjoyed the priveleges that he did. All around him, his keen mind saw corruption and deceit. When he came of age, the young elf turned his matchless intellect upon the criminals and wrongdoers of society.
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

The Giamarga wrote:
Indeed.

From Champions of the Mists, page 57:
Often called simply "the Great Detective," Alanik Ray was born to a family of elf nobles in the city of Neblus in Necropolis. At a very young age he began to notice that not everyone enjoyed the priveleges that he did. All around him, his keen mind saw corruption and deceit. When he came of age, the young elf turned his matchless intellect upon the criminals and wrongdoers of society.
Ah... Then, if I recall correctly, Alanik's father, Ardal Ray fell in with a ring of drug smugglers there in Neblus. Perhaps something can be developed from that.

In my personal notes, the drug ring was a Kargat operation, run by a handful of drow (very, very rare, but present and known by Azalin). Ardal was their patsy.

Chris Nichols
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Champions of the Mists wrote:Background

Alanik Ray's parents were well placed in the upper class of Neblus. His father, Ardal Ray, was purported to be a skilled merchant and cunning businessman. As he grew to manhood, Alanik Ray enjoyed all the benefits of his father's station. However, it did not take long for him to notice that others were not so well off. He took to leaving behind the trappings of his father's manor and exploring the neighborhoods of the common folk. In these dismal places, he saw crime and corruption at every turn.

Even more surprising to the young Alanik was the discovery that his father was a major dealer in the black market and narcotics trade. He confronted his father with these accusations and soon found himself disowned.

Over the course of the next year, Alanik Ray learned whom he could and could not trust in the city watch. He gradually became the greatest nemesis of crime in the city of Neblus. When Alanik saw his father's criminal holdings broken up, his ties to the past were finally and irrevocably severed. To further distance himself from these events, the young detective left Neblus and made his way to Mordentshire. Despite the prejudices the locals have against demihumans, Alanik Ray soon built himself a reputation based on his skills as a detective. Thanks to large fees paid for his services by wealthy clients, he has become wealthy himself.

During this time, he met and befriended Arthur Sedgwick, a young physician. The two became close friends and began to work together on the cases that were brought to Alanik Ray. On more than one occasion, Sedgwick's medical knowledge has saved the Great Detective's life.

A few years ago, Alanik Ray accepted an offer to assume control of the constabulary in Martira Bay. Unfortunately, his obsession with justice led the Kargat to view him as quite a threat. Thus, upon Azalin's disappearance, they took the opportunity to try to rid themselves of the Great Detective. Alanik barely escaped with his life, relocating to Port-a-Lucine, where his friend Arthur joined him.

Arthur has recently committed some of Alanik's adventures to paper in his well-received volumes The Life of Alanik Ray and The Casebook of Alanik Ray.