La Maison Soloumbre: Night of April 10th

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

As the men approach across the grass Buchvold, Llana and Serd can see that they are Father Jan Mikkelson, Marcos Vedarrak, the Invidian brother who they had seen fencing with Vedarrak yesterday, and a huge man whom they remember seeing periodically throughout the day. This last points a heavy blackwood staff in the general direction of Serd and Llana and speaks a word, and both of them instantly become visible.

Vedarrak and and the Invidian move away from the other two, Vedarrak angling toward Buchvold and the Invidian toward Serd. As they do so Mikkelson speaks with an air of calm authority.

"Cast another spell and we strike to kill. Keep your hands away from your body, and say nothing. Vedarrak, Kaspan, secure them."

The Countess von Lovenhorst appears behind Mikkelson, giving the three a look of cool appraisal that becomes one of dismay as she sees Kingsley. Noting her presence, Mikkelson says, "Countess, deal with the woman. Lorenz, you're with me."

They hurry past you (Buchvold, Llana, Serd), toward the security perimeter established earlier.

Here's a rough map of where everyone is at the beginning of this post. For a sense of scale, Draxton is about 30 yards/meters from the Maison (the row of Xs). The letters are people's initials; the periods are just to get the spacing right (the message board eliminates extraneous spaces).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

.............................................LL
..........................................KvL JM

................................MV
..................................................................MK

...................................................RB GK

...........................................................................DS
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Damn. Ironic.

Dispite what Crow might say, Raphael Buchvold is no fool. Verredak is not the type to let him get away with anything, he's the type that would kill him, and sort out everything else later. Buchvold does as orderd, making no attempt at resistance.
Last edited by Moral Machivelli on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude watched in horror as one of her scenarios proved to be true- and perhaps the one she least favoured. She nodded at the warning, briefly thinking her illicit use of magic had been the cause of this- till she remembered that they themselves had started the process and provoked her defence. I have done nothing wrong, she reminded herself, and for this reason, she stood tall and poised, sparing a glance at Buchvold- and the suddenly present Serd. Bloody idiot, attacking- and a Father, of all things. They probably think we’re all together now, sun help me…What's Serd doing here- was he spying on us? Or was Buchvold in on this?!

The professor turned to the Countess, waiting for instructions, and hopefully, an explanation.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

As Crow arrives at the door (only a few steps ahead of a large number of interested persons) he comes face to face with Pierre Lacomte, who steps in front of the door.

"Please, brothers!" he says, raising his hands and speaking loudly enough to be heard over the hubbub. "Your attention and cooperation are demanded. There has been a breach of our security perimeter; Father Mikkelson and the others are investigating. Please do not complicate our determination of what is going on by rushing out of doors to muddy the scene! You will be informed of what has occurred as soon as the situation becomes more clear."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Vedarrak circles behind Buchvold, sword at the ready. "Put your hands behind your back, Brother," he says quietly, and the Borcan feels the cold steel embrace of manacles around his wrists as soon as he complies.

A similar situation is taking place as Kaspan binds Serd and the Countess does the same to Kingsley.

OOC: You can act at this point to prevent yourself from being handcuffed, but I don't much recommend it. :P
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Cursing mentally, Crow glares impotently at Lacomte, as flustered by this impasse in reality as is his 'Brother Crow' persona. Still, he has no valid excuse to defy the Fraternity officer's instructions, nor any better grounds to argue an exemption than the other men around him: for the moment, he has little choice but to trust that Buchvold won't get himself pointlessly killed in the next several minutes.

Were he aware that Kingsley is also out there, he might protest the order, even so. But he did not see her exit the Maison, and has no way of knowing that she has been taken with the others.

(Still, he does not omit her from his thoughts, when he does the one thing he can do for his gulled-and-grudging Borcan "ally".)

The bard draws back from the milling Brothers around Lacomte, un-slings his instrument-case and settles into a vacant chair beside the ballroom's patio entrance. His features grow cross and distant, plainly coping poorly with his ignorance of what is happening outside. He crosses his ankles, frowning, then lets one hand drift 'idly' to his belt-sheathed harmonica, as if hoping to soothe the strain he feels at his frustrating inability to investigate.

Soon, the familiar notes of Vercezzo's "Pennies For The Ferryman" begin eddying out into the garden.

[OOC: Spellcasting now might not be wise, but it's high time the bard got some use out of his other brand of magic! :D Inspire Courage +2 for Buchvold and Kingsley, and he'll expand his definition of "allies" to include the other Brothers if something nastier than they are rears its ugly head. Even if they're cuffed and captive, it should bolster the other PCs' morale, and the tune itself will remind Buchvold that the bard's got his back if necessary ... after all, it's from the play that Crow had set the Borcan up to attend, when the spy robbed his office in November! :wink: ]
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Buchvold complies freely with Verredak. A smile crosses his face as he hears the tune. That might just become all too appropriate.
Last edited by Moral Machivelli on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude felt a wave of panic at the sight of manacles. Her fear of restraint, magical or physical, verged on phobic, and it took a great deal of effort to neither protest or resist. This was abetted, if not fully caused, by her fear of certain death.

Her body was stiff, and her fear began to turn to her old ally of rage as a means of coping. How dare they?! Why us, when there are tents of men around us?! It must be the Borcan or Serd’s fault…I’ve done nothing!

She hadn’t paid any attention to the hubbub or Lacomte’s efforts to calm it, caught up in her own situation. Now however, as terror began to loosen its hold, embarrassment and outrage flushed her cheeks. Like a common criminal- do they honestly think that this is required, when a household of Brothers and Fathers are within?! Just how much of a challenge do they think us to be?!

The whine of the harmonica suddenly caught her attention, as out of place as it was in the refined milieu of the Fraternity. Only one man would have the audacity and gall to play such an instrument- and such a tune. Her cheeks went white as she recognised the melody, and her anger rose at Crow’s taunt- and betrayal. How could he?!

He doesn’t know-

Everyone knows now- they can all see us
, her paranoid mind shrilled. Even the Shadowcloak- your chance is gone for good now-

This thought was stilled as a sudden wave of strength ebbed into her mind, and body. Her limbs began to relax a little more, and the tangle of emotions paused, like a lull in a storm. In its place, for that moment, came a sudden, shaming urge to cry with relief, which she fought tooth and nail. Quite literally- she bit down upon her tongue, and dug her nails into her palms to still the weak reaction.

And despite her suspicions, and the situation, she was able to admit to herself, Thank you…

She raised her head, and turned to the Countess, waiting to see what would now follow. I can get through this. I’ve done nothing wrong.

The Zherisian's posture straightened even more as she thought, And if that’s not enough, then I’ll damn well die with my dignity intact.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

As he plays, expression still irate at Lacomte's prohibition, the bard's eyes flick discreetly from one milling Brother to the next, watching to see who else is eager to help -- or concealing that fact -- and who is discomfited by this disturbing development ... or only appears to be so. If he can't do any more for Buchvold, at least he can continue his search for the Fraternity's in-house betrayers.

The piece he's chosen is one that other Manoir-survivors might well recognize from that evening's entertainment, and its melody is relatively simple, needing but one hand to render via mouth-organ. (His choice of implement for field work is not so frivolous as Kingsley thinks it: among quality musical instruments, none can surpass the harmonica in being both easily concealed and playable one-handed.) Crow props his left elbow on the arm of his seat, tilts his head to lean upon his fist, and fidgets impatiently in his chair: the energetic and demonstrative young 'Brother Crow', helplessly itching to do something about this latest outbreak of crisis.

Buried beneath his curls, the folded fingers of the VRS spy's hand slowly straighten, unseen. He listens, briefly, to what lies palmed against his ear, then directs his attention back to his voyeuristic scan of the crowd.

[OOC: Yep, Crow's playing the Listening Coin game again! :wink: He'd used one to cover Buchvold's back during the meeting with Serd -- a man he knows plays dirty in negotiations, thanks to the Curwen incident -- but had to break that off pronto when Shadowcloak butted in, to better focus on his own ruse. The bard therefore missed Buchvold's conversation with Kingsley, because he'd slipped the palmed Coin into a muffled pocket for safekeeping, and didn't get the chance to retrieve it until now. For the time being, he'll be alternately Sensing Motive on the bystanders in the ballroom, and secretly listening in on whatever's happening to the Borcan.

[FWIW, the transmitter-Coin that Buchvold is carrying has its dweomer hidden with Nystul's Magic Aura, so shouldn't be discernable to Detect Magic spells. (The Borcan, of course, doesn't know that the bard knows the NMA spell, so might sweat a little if Vedarrak scans him with divinations.... :twisted: )]
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Rotipher of the FoS wrote: [FWIW, the transmitter-Coin that Buchvold is carrying has its dweomer hidden with Nystul's Magic Aura, so shouldn't be discernable to Detect Magic spells. (The Borcan, of course, doesn't know that the bard knows the NMA spell, so might sweat a little if Vedarrak scans him with divinations.... :twisted: )]
OOC: When did Crow give Buchvold the coin, Roti? Did it happen here at the Manoir? If not, did Crow make the Nystul's Magic Aura permanent?

IC: The most interesting thing apparent to Crow is those who are not present--none of the Exalted Brothers or Fathers is now in the room, and not many of the Esteemed Brothers he recognizes. A moment's thought produces a probable reason--they probably have security responsibilities they are carrying out elsewhere. Several of the brothers appear worried; Crow chuckles inwardly to see Magnus Wolfsbane collapsed in a chair and padding at his forehead with a handkerchief. Paolo Dilisnya is now haranguing Lacomte at the top of his lungs, demanding to be allowed to go out and discover if any of his possessions have been stolen, while Paul Dirac appears to be seriously consisdering attempting to exit through a window. Someone else appears to already have had the same idea--one of the windows at the south end of the hall, partially hidden by a Rokuman screen, is open.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Moral Machivelli wrote:Buchvold complies freely with Verredak. A smile crosses his face as he hears the tune. That might just become all too appropriate.
"Come," Vedarrak says, putting a hand on Buchvold's shoulder and guiding him forward. He mutters something in Draconic--Buchvold catches only, "Send someone down..."

They do not walk toward the house, but toward the tents; Vedarrak pushes Buchvold through the entrance of one of them and points to a camp stool. The military rigor of the tent's arrangement and its spartan decor hint that the tent is the Falkovnian brother's own.

"Don't cast any spells," the Falkovnian recommends shortly. "Don't talk, either. I apologize, Brother Buchvold, but I must now search you."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Llana wrote: She raised her head, and turned to the Countess, waiting to see what would now follow. I can get through this. I’ve done nothing wrong.

The Zherisian's posture straightened even more as she thought, And if that’s not enough, then I’ll damn well die with my dignity intact.
"Come with me, Professor," the Countess says, her voice cool. They do not go to the house, but toward the tents; choosing one, apparently at random, she pulls aside the tent flap and gestures Kingsley in. Staying outside for a moment, she says in Draconic "I have one. Please send down a second."

Entering, she seats herself. "Forgive me, Professor Kingsley," she says, her face blank. "I must now make a search of your person."
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Hmm. Buchvod reflects to himself Not how I had expected to spend my evening.

He complies with Verredak freely. Buchvold has nothing to hide. The search turnes up the Borcan's pistol, a longsword ,two daggers, a bag full of varing currency, buchvold's notebook (which has his lecture notes, as well as some private thaughts on one or two poeple, but is not incriminating) and some nondescript books, mostly on the element of belief in relation to arcane power. (Though one or two are on the plane of shadow)

OOC. That's all the Borcan has on him. Since Buchovld and Crow have pulled the listinig coin trick a few times, it is safe to say that They have perminanced the NMA, to save having to make an exchange every time they wish to perform the trick.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Moral Machivelli wrote: OOC. That's all the Borcan has on him. Since Buchovld and Crow have pulled the listinig coin trick a few times, it is safe to say that They have perminanced the NMA, to save having to make an exchange every time they wish to perform the trick.
H'mmm...apparently NMA is not a spell that can be made permanent. (!) Which makes sense, now that I think about it--to make the NMA permanent you'd have to add another aura from the permanency, which would not have been canceled.

When and how did you make the transfer of this coin? Did it happen at the Maison de Soulombre?
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

OOCMakes sence ,yes .The coin was transferd at the MdS. Just before the meeting with Serd. The old book trick in the libery. (Person one inserts item into book, goes away, person two comes allong looks at several books(Which happen to include the same one), and pockets the item.)