A Quiet Life: Gertrude Kingsley (comments)

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

A Quiet Life: Gertrude Kingsley (comments)

Post by Pamela »

Hey ho, feel free to leave any comments here if you wish. I'll just warn y'all that the title is a warning: this is going to be low on adventures. :P
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Doesn't matter to me in the least! Nice to see someone taking initiative and spinning a new tale. :)

I read what you have written twice and I kept having the words "budding sorceress" run through my mind... not too sure as to why. Nice job so far, and I shall be lurking in the shadows awaiting more. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

nice work. i will be here as well.
my bones among the rocks and roots
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Thank you both very much. :D I'm going to try to write here at least once a week; I love Gert, and have been wanting a chance to explore her background, and this is an excellent opportunity.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Llana, I really like your characterizations. The details of how characters speak, how they act, the little gestures and incidents of their existence... it all weaves very nicely into the conversation and doesn't feel like it ever intrudes.

I'm looking forward to reading more, and hope you continue this story!
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

It doesn't feel like a D&D story, and for that exact reason I'm intrigued. Count me among those who are going to be watching from the sidelines waiting to see how it develops. :D
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Thank you. :D

@ HumanBing: I really do enjoy writing conversations; my personal bugbear is descriptive narrative. I have a hard time figuring out how to include details without making it look 'clunky' or added-on.

@JinnTolser: One of the things I love most about Ravenloft- and especially my beloved Zherisia- is how little is known about the magic and monsters which are prevalent there. And while they may live in a gothic world, I figure people don't necessarily know it or experience it as such for themselves. :P
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

So far (through six posts) living up to the title. The writing itself is technically sound, and the story is developing interestingly. I suspect that it will take several more chapters before I can say whether or not I like the story--as you of course are already aware, it's a tale of character development and it will therefore take time to see how the "seeds" planted early turn out. I can say that I'm enjoying the way it's going and that you do have a nice way with a dry turn of phrase that spices things up (I'm especially fond of the final line of Chapter 6; it brought a quick smile to my face).