Maison d'Sablet: Night of April 10th

Join us for our Halloween celebration
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Listening the price the boatman has told them Dadrag gasps as he finds it very exagerated.

"With all these money we can buy 10 boats!"

Says between his teeth as he waits to see Draxton's reaction.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxon, slightly nodding to his bodyguard that he heard him, gets a pouch from a coat. Weighting it in his hand he figurtes that there are much more than 50 gold pieces in there. "Are we talking about gold or silver sir? I wouldn't like to disappoint our guide, who will after all support us in this short trip."

OOC> I.e We are paying for him to be helpful.

OOC2> People consider the default coin to be silver according to the book.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:Draxon, slightly nodding to his bodyguard that he heard him, gets a pouch from a coat. Weighting it in his hand he figurtes that there are much more than 50 gold pieces in there. "Are we talking about gold or silver sir? I wouldn't like to disappoint our guide, who will after all support us in this short trip."
Rolande's eyes widen at the question; it's apparent that the idea of fifty gold pieces, offered to a swamp-fisher, puts the group comfortably in the "fantastically wealthy" category. He opens his mouth, looks at Kingsley, seems to change his mind, and finally admits, meekly, "Silver, m'sieur. If...ah...if you don't have silver..." He pauses to consider this thought, then continues, "I have some--not enough, but I could change a few gold pieces. You can't give him gold; he'll never be able to spend it."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

"Oh, we have some silver, friend."
Buchvold, who has kept silence for some time,appearing to be brooding on other matters, finally speaks out
"It is mearly that, as you know doubt know, this may be perilous. Thus might a man arrive at the idea of fifty gold."

Inwardly, Buchvold curses.

I'll bet 100 to 8 that Rocchea supplied us only with gold. If he did,and none of the others are carrying any this may well have to come from my pocket...

And I spent most of my silver on my room.

"Mr Serd?" Buchvold gestures to the bag

Someone is going to look foolish, and it will not be me.

OOC. Please say that Buchvold's wrong here.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Coan wrote:“There are other ways to test a man.” He says “Less dangerous ways yes, but I find my self a man coming to a crossroads –is it not better to read the signs along the way?”
Crow returns the man's subtle nod, knowingly. It is hardly a philosophy one can disagree with, for all that the VRS spy does not usually have the option of heeding such warning-signs as fate sets in his path. If Hiro's adages are more than just rote recitation, then Buchvold's hireling is wise: a pleasant change from the Fraternity's intellectualist arrogance.

He could probably, the bard realizes, get to like this fellow, should circumstances allow it. The ruse with the burning paper had been clever, and spoke of a certain humor beneath the man's ascetic facade.

“You walk a different path yourself. Many here are scholars or warriors but you appear as neither. You care slightly too much than the others… pray tell, why are you here?”
The bard nods again -- wise, indeed, and perceptive; best to make a note of that -- and pauses in his boot-cleaning, to gaze pensively out over Souragne's nighted landscape.

"Not a scholar, no, though I learn as I best I can; not a warrior -- not of your sort -- though there are other ways to wage war than with blades or muskets.

"As to whether I care more than my associates ... let us say I do not choose not to care -- or to notice -- so readily as those around me. Knowing the ways and natures of people impacts one in a manner that knowing science, or finance, or even history does not. I do not focus my attention so fixedly as to blind myself to greater consequences, as... scholars are prone to do."

(The slight hesitancy, before "scholars", is both deliberate and risky. The spy knows there are limits to which he can stretch his hinting -- crossing the Borcan too overtly, in revealing too much, would carry a heavy price -- and he skirts those bounds all too closely as he speaks. Still, the warrior's reaction may well tell him if Hiro has already deduced the arcane proclivities of his employer's colleagues.)

"Perhaps," he concludes, "that is why I am here. To offer perspective, where theirs is constrained by inexperience or pride."

He casually and subtly points, with his muddied stick, to the two merchant-mages' clumsy attempts to pay the boatman with gold.

Wonder if even Buchvold will think to ask 'Brother Crow' for change, knowing how much more modest a lifestyle musicians lead?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude gaped at Draxton’s question, unable to believe her ears. Gold? However, she was forced to when she saw Rolande’s own incredulity. Despite the netting on her hat, her head lowered to conceal her already hidden grin.

Her limits were finally transcended at the Borcan’s comments as he tried to defend the remark. Her hand rose to stifle the laughter that still burbled from her lips, as she tried to ignore the ridiculous tableau that they were presenting to the Souragniens. The intrepid adventurers face their first mighty obstacle… She pretended to cough, trying hard to shake the absurd image.

She finally cleared her throat and said dryly. “I think that our captain probably took that danger into account when he named his price. He is after all better equipped to deal with this terrain than we are.” His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead… “Could we just pay the man and actually begin the journey? Perhaps actually open the purse and see what's in it, novel concept as that might be?”
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

“Ah so you are experienced in such expeditions." Hiro replies to the bard "A man of adventure, that is good to know. I imagine you have seen much in your travels. We should compare stories one day should we both survive this.”

His hat shifts to face the negotiations direction as another member joins to offer advice

“Or should we begin the journey at all, I should say. Such squabbling over petty things.” Changing tact he resumes his laidback stance

“That instrument you have, I have not seen its make before. Where did you learn to play such an item?” though it would be rude to ask, Hiro's question does seem to hint to Crow that the man is curious to know if he is any good with it.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Crow smiles mildly -- an honest smile, this time -- and straightens up, discarding the muddy stick as his other hand clasps the shoulder-strap of his instrument case, either for luck or in appreciative affection.

"Oh, I wouldn't presume to say that I have 'learned' to play it," he replies, in thoughtful, yet amused tones. "As I see it, any Art worth the effort or commitment to master is, perforce, a thing one never rightly ceases learning. But I learn a little more with every land I visit, and would go so far as to say that few are disappointed by my little tunes."

He turns to look at Hiro, curiously eyeing the cylindrical sheath which the armsman carries with him.

"And yourself? By the care you show for your own parcel, it seems I am not alone in my devotion to a craft. Might I venture to guess that your own artistry, should it prove necessary this night, will indeed be a performance to remember?"
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

"Anything worth remembering is only because it fills the need at the time..." Hiro says, his voice somewhat saddened for a moment

"Or at least that is what... someone told me once." shrugging his parcel slightly the moment passes. "Rest assured I too have a devotion to an art, I also like to try new tricks."
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OOC> Guys, Draxton has anything from copper to gems on his person. He is not an idiot, he knows how things are in Sourange, and wouldn't try to buy a beer offering gold. :)

IC> Ignoring the other's remarks and gestures, Draxton just smiles and picks two other pouches containing silver and copper pieces. quickly weighting them in his hand, he surmises that they are about 55-60 silver worth.
"Here, have these. It is a healthy tip in there. About 55 to 60 silver total worth. Copper and silver of course. Don't worry, I know that this sum is about two months of work for our guide."

Then Draxton turns to Getrude. "Professor Kingsley, I don't intend to use our friends money when I can spend mine. Wouldn't you agree that we should keep the financial aid given to us only for an emergency and return to our friend whatever remains?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:IC> Ignoring the other's remarks and gestures, Draxton just smiles and picks two other pouches containing silver and copper pieces. quickly weighting them in his hand, he surmises that they are about 55-60 silver worth.
"Here, have these. It is a healthy tip in there. About 55 to 60 silver total worth. Copper and silver of course. Don't worry, I know that this sum is about two months of work for our guide."
The swamp-fisher has been watching the scene, almost impassive; at one point he mutters a question to Rolande, who gestures him to silence as negotiations proceed. As Draxton steps forward with a solution, his eyes brighten; taking the offered pouch, he pops it and examines the contents with a mixture of astonishment and delight, tempered somewhat as he looks out at the rain. Ducking inside, he emerges with a wide-brimmed hat and a sort of poncho; gesturing you to follow, he walks a little way down the front path, then angles off toward the water, where a largish punt, at present rather full of crawfish pots and fishing tackle, lies.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

“You are free to stay behind, sir,” Gertrude replied at Hiro’s interjection. “Nobody is forcing you to come along.” There was no rancour in her voice, however; she herself would have already left if it hadn’t been for the prospect of the coming meeting with the voudan.

At Draxton’s question, the pragmatic scholar replied, “No, I would not. This is not an act of charity. I agreed to do this favour for our colleagues, but I do not see why I should pay out of pocket, when funds have been provided for that purpose. But if you wish to do so, that is your prerogative.” And Roeccha is certainly not my friend…

She turned away as Gerard emerged once more, prepared for the coming journey. She followed the swamp-fisher to his boat, and took up one of the crawfish pots, helping to empty the punt.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Dadrag who till now is just observing the scene desides to help himself clear the boat because if not he is afraid that they will never depart. So he goes beside Kingsley and says:

"Need a hand madam?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn remains silent through it all, observing the scene. Wondering why Crow and Hiro are off to the side speaking. This is an odd "party" we have here indeed. This "Brotherhood" is one untrusting society, they'd fit in perfectly in Chad Nessad or even Menzoberranzan for that matter.

Tarlyn fumbles with something inside his cloak, a cloth, then gets to one knee and makes pretense of wiping his boots, but purposely slow. Turning so his back is to noone, he waits until everyone has passed him, then walks onto the boat.

Standing off by himself, he observes the swamp, then the party. Smiling to himself, this shall prove to be quite an interesting endeavor I think.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude nodded with a smile, and handed Dadrag the crawfish-pot. “We can start a relay; it’ll probably be quicker than trying to enter the boat one by one. Thank you…”

Her voice trailed away as the elf blithely stood in the punt, gawking in the midst of the required labour. She tartly said to Tarlyn, “Excuse me, your highness, but until we’ve all got room to sit, you will make yourself useful, or leave. The sight-seeing will take place soon enough. Now hand me another one of those traps, since you've determined to be at the start of the relay.”