The trip to Shadowdale

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Renad looks at Cindy before answring.

"I really don't know. My father has only heard an explosion, I guess that all should be dead." Says Cindy.

"It;s not so simple, when someone dies his souls gets off his body and goes to the outer planes according the life the person has had. But if somebody dies before understanding that he is dying, by accident or instantly, his soul remains trapped to this plane, the matterial plane and become a ghost."

Renad pauses for a moment and then continues:

"Another way is that if many people die in agony, frustrated, angry, terrifying etc. All these feelings merge together and may do a ghost too. A single ghost more powerful than a normal one since it's made from more people. The only way to put a ghost to rest forever is to solve the issue that holds it here, because that is that keeps it trapped our plane. Ghosts always have an issue, everyone different of course since all the ghosts are different. If you don't resolve their issues ghosts used to return. Ghosts are always evil and attack anyone gets closer to them, I think they do that becasue they want help and they want to get people attention. But since they are undead and they cannot think logically."

Renad looks Cindy directly at her eyes:

"For this reason we are here Ms Cindy, to know as more as we can about the people and the wizard, since we don't know who is the ghost we can only guess its issues." Says REand

"Does this Grimwald had a diary or notebook? It would be very useful to us." Says Inovidil.

"Yes, he had a notebook. My father gave it to the barracks but they said that has nothing important only some graphics and words in a strange language. My father got it back, I can fetch it to you if you like."

"Please do so, it will have something important." Says Renad.

After 10 min Cindy comes backs and handles to REand an old notebook.

"Here you rea sir, I hope yoou have better luck than the others and please pay attention if you decide to go after it."

"We will, thank you very much for your help andyour time Ms Cindy." Says Reand.

Later, at the inn they tell to the others what they have learnt.
Last edited by VAN on Fri May 11, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jarg arrives after the girls do as himself and enters heading staright for their table. "So, Jarg" Thalar asks "Did you find any nice pumice stone for your weapons?"

Jarg nods to Thalar and says "YEs I did and it looks like it will be a good one. Even SAFE too!" he winks then sits down.

"So, girls? How was it with Renad? DId you find anything inetersting about the Inn or the supposed Ghost?" Brethana asks.

"I dont know about you guys, but Im hungry after that boring discussion Inovidil" Elvira says and orders a meal.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Boring! You call that discussion boring Elvira! We learn so many interesting things from Ms Cindy. Now we know that we should reopen the wizard's room, enter in the sewers and go find it!" Says Inovidil excited.

"Easy Ino, the ghost have powers tha tare related with the way the person dies, his feelings and of course every other power the person had as living, That means that if the ghost is the wizard, we should expect being attacked with spells except any other power he has gained a ghost." Says Renad

"Ms Cindy said tha tteh fighter who came back said something about flames." Says Inovidil.

"True, I guess if tha twas not a spell, it's an ability it gained from the explosion. That mean we should be protected from fire excellent memory Inovidil." Says Renad.

"What was in the notebook?" Asks Kel

"It's a design of a strange device, I don't know more, I don't know the language he was using."

Inovidil get the notebook and hereyes go wide:

"It's in draconic! It's a kind of ritual. It serves to become younger getting the life of people and transforming them in frogs. How strange. That were the strnage noises the owner have heard, Grimwald was making his device!"

"And wha tabout the explosion?" Asks Kel.

"We don't know, or its was the spell's effect, or something goes wrong, or the wizard has casted another spell." Says Renad.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jarg sighs "I really really hate undead guys! I had my fill in Ravenloft! If you want to pursue this Ghost thing, it is fine by me, but I rather be doing something else !!!!!" He laughs then says "Well it is ok by me. You know I'll do whatever you decide to, guys".

Brethana thinks then says "Well my Grandftaher used to tell me a little about spirits and so did the Shaman of my tribe. I was told to beware of them and keep away. Ask Inovidil and Jarg about a Ghost, we ran away from one in Ravenloft!!!!!! If we do face one again I hope we have better luck in our endeavor"

Elvira finishes her meal then adds "Well even thoug I found it boring it was kind of educational. Good thing Ino reads Draconic then, maybe she can decipher the writings of the wizard."

Thalar listens to everyone then adds "Well I have no experience with Ghosts. That being said, I think we should listen to what Renad has to say about them especially their "bane" so to speak." He sits back and waits to see what Renad is going to say.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Yes, all ghosts have an allergen. That should be something that has to do with the way they are dead or similar. The allergen is different from ghost to ghost of course and the effects that can have are different too. For instance one provoke extra damage or cancel some of the ghost's powers, force him to leave, force him to manifest, force it to be affascinated or it cannot bypass it etc. We should think the way these people or the wizard die to find the right allergen."

"It can be something that explodes, since an explosion was heard." Says Kel.

"Or a wand, or a candle. I mean ritual's staff," Says Inovidil.

"Good ideas, it can be also the notebook. If the wizard is the ghost he can be affascinated to it. May wizards are... addicted to theor spellbooks" Says Renad and pays a sidelook at Inovidil.

"Very funny Renad. However, I haveto admit that it can be possible..." Says Inovidil.

"We should try all of them. It's time to go down there." Says Renad.

"Yeah, action time!" Says Kel.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Thalar smiles "Ok so we go down to the sewers. Jarg you have any idea s to where we might go down without being noticed?"

Jarg just smiles then winks at Elvira "Well as a matter fo fact, yes Thalar I do. I have been through here before, and through many cities and towns in the area. It is best if we go at night though so we dont get noticed. I am not sure the townspeople or militia would appreciate strangers opening sewer grates in the middle of the day. WHat do you guys think?"

Brethana nods to Jarg "Well I have no experience sneaking around but if Jarg says that, then I agree with him. He seems to know a bit about sneaking around, and come to think of it so does Elvira" she looks at Elvira when she says that and sticke her tongue out playfully at her, then grins.

Elvira returns the favor to Brethana and giggles. "Ok what kind of harm can a ghost do to us,Renad? What should we know?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"It sounds liek a plan, tonight we will go down to the sewers." Says Kel.

"Are you ready about the ghost Renad? Or we should rest a day and pray for other spells tomorrow?" Asks Inovidil.

"You are never ready for a ghost Ino, you can only guess and pray that you are right. As about your question Elvira, I don't really know what we should expect and that is not good for being honest. I suspect we are gonna deal with fire so I have prayed Pelor to give me a spell that can protect us from the flames. I also get the spell which will help us resist to spells. We need to get candles, the notebook and if we find something that can explode. I hope one of these to be the ghost's allergen so we will have less trouble with it." Says Reand.

"I know that gunpowder makes a kind of explosion, I know that because the cleric we had with us in Ravenloft had a musket." Says Inovidil.

"Jarg, may you provide us some gunpowder?" Asks Renad.
Last edited by VAN on Sat May 12, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jarg eyebrows raise a moment about the question "Well I need to 'ask' around, but yes I think I can find some gunpowder in time. Give me a few hours" with that he stands, nods to the gang and heads out.

The rest of the day the party spends resting. Near suppertime he arrives back at the Inn. The party are all either asleep or out. Once it is suppertime, the party heads down for supper. Seeing Jarg there they hurry and sit with him at his table. "Well Renad" Jarg smiles as he removes a package from his pouch and places it on the table "I think we have our gunpowder and musket you asked for" he slides the package over to Renad and grins slyly. "I think we will be ready for tonight, guys".
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Excellent work Jarg. Don't worry about the money you should pay, I think we all give you something." Says Renad and handles a few coins to the drow.

"Yes Jarg, get these for me... and my sister. I'll pay her part too." Says Kel.

"Thanks brother, it's very sweet." Says Inovidil and kisse Kel's cheek.

"Now, if everybody is ready I think Jarg can lead us to the sewer's entrance." Says Renad.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Someone owed me a favor guys, keep the gold it is fine with me. I am glad to help out here" Jarg says as he slips the money back.

Jarg nods and getting up walks out, waiting for the others. They head north on the street until they come to a beaten down warehouse. He turns left and heads into the first alley on the right. He looks to the others then at the grate on the alley. "Well this is it, guys. Kel I think you are the strongest here, give it a go I think you can open it with my help."

The two of them pull off the grate and they all climb down into the sewers.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

As they enter in the sewer Inovidil casts light on a stone.

"Now before we go down the sewers we should share the possible allegens so we will know which of them is correct." Says Renad.

The cleric lights a candle, gives the gunpowder to Elvira, the notebook to Inovidil and the musket to Kel.

"Kel when the ghosts manifets, shoots with the musket and you Elvira toss the gunpowder to it. Pay attention, if nothing happens means that we have the wrong allergen. That mean we should stay and fight, the problem is that the ghosts are trasparent, as the specters so some of your attacks might pass through it. If we understand that it's more powerful than we are, run. We need to be alive to come back and try again."

After a small pause in order everybody gets his words, REnad continues:

"Unfortunately I cannot protect from fire all of you, so if you have no problem, I'll protect Inovidil, myself, Brethana and Kel since Elvira, Thalar and Jarg are very agile and I hope can avoid the fire. Also I'll give everyone resistance to spells and of course I'll bless us. Is that ok with you?"

As Renad is talking Inovidil has already casted two spells on herself.

OOC> Renad will cast protection from fire, mass conviction and bless.

Inovidil has casted mage armor and mirror image.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Everyone agrees with Renad and they walk along the smelly danky water. "Hoo man, Inovidil I think I need a bath and new skin this is disgusting!" Elvira says to Inovidil, crinkling her nose.

Jarg looks to both of them and says "Well this isn't so bad, really. Try living with spider loving people, that's digusting. Spider's make me sick, I've had my fill for a lifetime!" he laughs.

Thalar says nothing and keeps walking, alert to any sign of the ghost.

Brethana doesn't say much either but just pays attention and hopes that theyhave better luck than the last time they faced a ghost!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

OOC1> Thalar and Elvira with a good dungeoneering might notice we are now under the inn.

IC>The party keep walking in the dirty water fon 20 minutes. Suddenly the light of the candle trembles and from the tunell's wall 50' from the party manifests a traslucent tall man with a beard cloaked in fire. Some parts of his flesh are missing and some bones can be seen. The cloths are burnt and his eyes are vacant, but his glance is full of hate and anger.

The view of the ghost is very terrifying and everybody is forced to lower the eyes as long as they feel their blood leave their body.

"Intruders! I will not let you trap me again. I'm free now!"

With that the ghost indicates the party and from his pointed digit a burst of flames detonates with a low roar.

OOC2> Fear check DC 17
Fireball DC 17
We get +3 to all saves from conviction.
- W H A T ! ? !
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

As Kel sees the ghost feels the blood leaving his body, he cries in terror and turning his back to ghost, pushes aside Renad and runs away. He doesn't stop neither when the burst of fire gets him at the back.

Inovidil covers her eyes with her hands and a low scream gets out of her lips, but she manages to control herself. As the flames pass over her without causing her any damage, the evoker moves her hands and everybody except Kel feel the wave of energy at thei bodies. Then Inovidil pulls out the notebook and holds it in front of her, pointing it at the ghost.

Renad gets a deep breath and manages to overcome his fear. Thanking Pelor for the spell that protected him from the fire, the cleric gets his holly symbol adn prays loudly. A white light covers the ghost but that remains put.

"That's not good, it's powerful." Says Renad and bravely steps farward holding the candle at one hand and at the other the morning star.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ooc1> Fireball Elvira, Jarg,Thalar and Brethana(Saves because spell by Renad) (Jarg and Elvira evasion so nothing at all) only Thalar takes 1/2 dmg
Ooc2>Fear Elvira,Brethana,Jarg save, Thalar no with bonuses I got 1 LOL!!!

ELvira and Jarg deftly roll and jump out of the way of the fireball, but Brethana and Thalar get some of it. Standing shakily they face the apparition. Thalar gets a big chill through his body and feels fear like none before, turning and hightailing it back up the ladder to the town, after Kel.

Brethana frowns a moment and removing her Great Sword, she rushes the apparition and swings at it. The sword harms the Ghost, making it move back a little, stunned.

Elvira throws bith her daggers but hey pass through the Ghost then appear back in her hands.

Jarg aims his bow at the Ghost and fires, but his arrow passes through the Ghost harmlessly.

"Renad what do we do? Thalar and Kel ran away!" Brethana says as she eyes the Ghost and stands protectively in front of everyone now that the 2 fighters are gone, slightly frightened.