Pirates of the Caribbean 3

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Pirates of the Caribbean 3

Post by alhoon »

Well, I saw the movie. A good long movie, more serious than the last 2 but I liked number 2 better. It gave me a good laugh and has much action. There wasn't anything in the movie that bothered me too much or that I didn't like but still I prefer #2.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

How was Keith Richards in the movie, alhoon?
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

How does it compare to number 1?

Because I enjoyed 2 a lot but 1 was the best, in my opinion.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

[SOME SPOILERS BELOW]

I just saw it, I thought it could have been edited better and an hour easily could have been trimmed from it without affecting the story. Yeah, great action, special effects, costumes, and scenery, but I thought the story was too ponderous. Someone will have to explain to me though why the Armada turned tail because of a few opposing pirate ships.
They did leave a hook for a PotC IV. Keith Richards appeared twice, and as more of an insiders joke-type of walk-on role than anything serious. I did enjoy the joke about "Mother".
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

I liked it better than 2, but then again, I like endings with closure. :P
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

Did someone watched after the endig credits? :D
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

(spoilers)

Why couldn't elisabeth go on the boat with will instead of staying alone on the beach for 10 years?
Hail Strahd!
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Spoilers ahoy!
Catman Jim wrote:Someone will have to explain to me though why the Armada turned tail because of a few opposing pirate ships.
I imagine it's because they a) lost their flagship and commander, and b) were facing the Dutchman.
Scarycount wrote:Why couldn't elisabeth go on the boat with will instead of staying alone on the beach for 10 years?
Like Bootstrap said, they've got a duty to ship the souls of the dead into the afterlife, and she can't go with them (being alive and not a part of the crew).
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Spoilers:

They turned tail because they didn't have any real reason to face many pirate ships two of which were legendary IMO.

As for Elizabeth and Will, while he has now a lot to do, she can go on his ship when things get better... ;) He will take a break once upon a while, wouldn't he?

As for Pirates IV... well would you believe that any other ending fitted? Any ending except pirate "allies" backstabbing each other again before the hangover of the last celebration was over? :lol:
On the other hand I see no reason why the producers would stop making PotC movies. They sell well, they have the team etc.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

And Johnny Depp at least has said he'd be happy to play Capt. Jack again, even if they can't get Kiera Knightley, Orlando Bloom and/or Geoffrey Rush again.

Anyway, as for At World's End: ***Watch out for possible spoilers!!! ***

I thought it dragged a bit in the middle. There was a lot of important story stuff going on, but the action could have been paced better, I think, so that it wasn't so slow in the middle of the movie. At least this time the movie didn't drag for the first 40 minutes, like Dead Man's Chest.

I like that they finally tied up a lot of the loose ends and plotlines from the previous movie, and even answered some questions I didn't even know I had (like why the one pirate with the wooden eye was always so frantic to recover it when he lost it).

Most importantly, I'm glad that the characters all had some closure, especially Norrington, who I was afraid they'd just turn into an evil bastard. And I definitely didn't see some of the twists coming, like what happened to Will at the end.

But there was no fight scene as cool as the fight on the wheel from the last movie. The closest thing would be Jack and Davy Jones up on the mast, fighting over the chest. That was pretty good.

Overall I thought it was about as good as the last movie, though definitely not up to the first one.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Just see it and I liked it very much and actually I cannot pick one between this one and the 2nd as better. I think it's quite long movie but the special effects and especially the see fight were awsome. :D

SPOILERS:

Best scene ever: The scene where Jack and Barbosa get out the telescops! I loughed so much there. :lol:

I liked also Keith Richards, the "mother" joke was very good too.

I also liekd the end and I hope they will decide to make PoC4!
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

(spoilers)

ha! You know what they'll do for the next one. They won't get orlando, but will has a son now, so they can do Pirates of the Carribean: The Next generation. :lol:
Hail Strahd!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Orlando is very important character so I doubt they will let him out.

SPOILERS:

Besides now his role is far more important than before. He is the captain of the Dutcman and a husband! :lol:

Great the scene of the marriage Will- Elisabeth at the ship with Barbosa marry them. :D
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Well, even though I had greater expectations with this one, and not all of them were met, I certainly got entertained. After the (gratuituous) end of the second movie, the first 30 minutes or so were to be expected. I have never been fan of "bringing back the dead" storylines, and this one wasn't any better than others I have seen.

The closure of the loose ends is not surprising, either. They just had to dig deeper into Davy Jones's background, into the relationship between the "bussinessman" (Don't remember his name) and Capt. Jack, and they had to give Norrington and father Turner something interesting to do with their lives.

There weren't as many action scenes as in the previous movies: They seem to have focused on the humor scenes with Capt. Jack (They tried to push them a little far this time, but Johnny managed to keep himself afloat), and with the multiple betrayals between the whole cast. Indeed, it seems that the plotline is a little too intrincate. Both my gf and a friend of us got completely lost with all the alliances and mutual backstabbings. However, the final battle between the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman was pretty awesome.

In the end, I like the trilogy. Bruckheimer has said that there won't be a fourth one, and the fact that box office wasn't as good as with the previous two seems to support his decision. Perhaps we will have to wait for those "ten years" to see a new PotC movie.
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Yeah I still think the 2nd is the best. The third is definetely good, but I don't care for the end. I really don't like what happened to Will; I'd rather die than have to live only seeing my love one every 10 years and she feels the same. :D Can't wait to see the fourth since it seemed they'll do more.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili