Yep, 4th Edition is coming out....

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Yep, 4th Edition is coming out....

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

I know that most people here will have already heard this by the time I have posted it.

However, 4th Edition has been announced at Gen Con. What does that mean for Ravenloft fans? Well, it has also been announced that 4th Edition will not be OGL. 3rd party publishers will have to buy the rights to publish what they want using the 4th Edition rules.

That doesn't change too much since, Arthaus had to buy the rights to use Ravenloft material any way. But we'll definately see less 3rd party material out there.
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

No I had not heard this. any websites reporting this news?
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

There's a doomsday counter type thing on the official dnd website. And the boards have almost degenerated into mass hysteria. By the time the counter hits 0 im predicting riots.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

The counter page is titled 4DVENTURE and has a graphic of a number of dice all displaying the number 4. There are less than 12 hours remaining on the clock, looks like we will get the "official" announcement this afternoon.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Oh well ain't that a peach.
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Maybe they'll give everyone the 4th edition rules for free! :D
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Why am I not holding my breath?

Well, I suppose it makes sense, WotC has rather been scraping the barrel for the last things to publish, therefore: 4th Edition.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

Okay an addena to what I reported before. Some members of the press found out that there will be an OGL for 4th Edition. As far as what we know so far you can look at the front page of ENWorld.

http://www.enworld.org/
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Until I actually SEE the GenCon announcement I'll stick to the opinion that WotC is just yanking chains. Keep in mind GenCon is the "hottest 4 days in gaming".
Jester of the FoS

Keep in mind the "source" on that ENworld link was some schlub who happened to have "inside knowledge" because :
Yesterday i have seen here the news regarding 4E but it appears that you are in a bit of a time lag - Thanks to silverstars (israel publisher), we here at israel got all the beans already ;-)

Plus its being posted by a dude with 18 posts at ENWorld.

In the meantime WotC has pretty much shut their website down for 24 hours, good luck getting errata now. And I need a character sheet. Bugger.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Rucht Lilavivat wrote:Okay an addena to what I reported before. Some members of the press found out that there will be an OGL for 4th Edition.

Makes sense. Wizards certainly wouldn't want its new edition to have to compete with the freebie incarnation of the previous one, so updating the SRD lets them keep the OGL as a promotional tool rather than a rival.

Assuming this is for real, I'm curious as to what they'll have re-engineered this time around. The 1E/2E changeover was mostly a roleplay-over-rollplay adjustment, and the 2E/3E transition was primarily about standardizing the rules under the Almighty 20-Sider. 4E will clearly be heavy on the online tools, but what else will be different?

Also, how much will they have pumped up dragons' stats this time? :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

They'd be insane not to make it OGL. Whatever improvements they make, 3e is entirely functional as is and is OGL, so many, many people are just going to stick with it, regardless. Very few people would bother with 4e if there's a perfectly good, "free" alternative.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS

The OGL was a bad idea for published books. Wizards thought that everyone would pick up the slack and release the stuff they wouldn't; ie generic adventures and that publishers would stay away from campaign settings and the like. Oops.

I can see them wanting to cut down on the 3rd party books taking their market share but keeping some form of OGL for online writers.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I am sticking with 3.5 and not buying 4th. I guess they don't have enough money and needed a new scheme to make more?
elliott20
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by elliott20 »

new edition = new books and more moolah for WotC.

GOTTA BUY THEM ALL!!! It's like "D&D the Gathering" collector game!

3.5E, I CHOOSE YOU!!! *Hurls 3.5E books at people*